Ockham's Broom

Legion

Another interesting article by Tim Gwinn... http://www.panmere.com/?p=97

The Journal of Biology has begun an interesting thematic series entitled “Ockham’s Broom”, which they describe thusly:

Ockham’s broom is an implement conceived by Sydney Brenner as the device whereby inconvenient facts are swept under the carpet. This is common practice in biological research where the facts often cannot be explained all at once; but in due course the edge of the carpet must be lifted and the untidy reality confronted. In this eclectic series, contributors examine the sweepings from their fields and offer a fresh perspective on generally accepted views. (Ockham’s broom should not be confused with the more familiar Ockham’s razor which inspired this less philosophically correct concept.)

Another interesting article by Tim Gwinn... http://www.panmere.com/?p=97

The Journal of Biology has begun an interesting thematic series entitled “Ockham’s Broom”, which they describe thusly:

Ockham’s broom is an implement conceived by Sydney Brenner as the device whereby inconvenient facts are swept under the carpet. This is common practice in biological research where the facts often cannot be explained all at once; but in due course the edge of the carpet must be lifted and the untidy reality confronted. In this eclectic series, contributors examine the sweepings from their fields and offer a fresh perspective on generally accepted views. (Ockham’s broom should not be confused with the more familiar Ockham’s razor which inspired this less philosophically correct concept.)

I like it and I noticed this:

The authors go on to explain how the systems involved have enormous number of potential states and so the systems themselves may have a range of behaviors far exceeding the behavior of machine-like models of those systems. In Rosennean terms, the physical systems are open to many interactions and degrees of freedom to which the machine-like models are closed.

That has a lot in common with Heisenberg's ontic interpretation and his "field of potentialities". Waves are potential and particles are actual and it's the interplay, or interactions, between these two modes of being that existence comes into being itself. Machines can't duplicate this and I'm not sure they ever will. It deals with things that don't exist until measured. How can anyone grab that and leave it open at the same time? :shrug:

That has a lot in common with Heisenberg's ontic interpretation and his "field of potentialities". Waves are potential and particles are actual and it's the interplay, or interactions, between these two modes of being that existence comes into being itself. Machines can't duplicate this and I'm not sure they ever will. It deals with things that don't exist until measured. How can anyone grab that and leave it open at the same time? :shrug:

I know next to nothing about quantum physics NotBlinded. :shrug: I wish I could converse with you about it though.

I just think it’s interesting that many biologists feel the need to sweep certain things under the rug for the time being. Tim Gwinn has an interest in relational biology and he updates his blog fairly frequently. And relational biology ties into the thread we recently had about the limitations of reductionism and materialism. So I thought I would post references to some of his more interesting posts.