Goodbye Jesus

An Article Supporting The Old Earth-I Am Speechless

Guest Religion Loather

Guest Religion Loather

I found an article supporting the old earth, I don't know what to say. Very ignorant, and I am very ashamed I believed that when I was a christian, sad thing is, my whole christian family and my entire church believes it...

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2007/05/30/how-old-is-earth

The article is too long to paste here.

Guest Religion Loather

The end of the article is extremely ignorant, and Christians claim were the ignorant ones :scratch: After all, it is a site about believing and defending Genesis...

Here it is

When we start our thinking with God’s Word, we see that the world is about 6,000 years old. When we rely on man’s fallible (and often demonstrably false) dating methods, we can get a confusing range of ages from a few thousand to billions of years, though the vast majority of methods do not give dates even close to billions.

Cultures around the world give an age of the earth which confirms what the Bible teaches. Radiometric dates, on the other hand, have been shown to be wildly in error.

The age of the earth ultimately comes down to a matter of trust—it’s a worldview issue. Will you trust what an all-knowing God says on the subject or will you trust imperfect man’s assumptions and imaginations about the past that regularly are changing?

The age of the earth ultimately comes down to a matter of trust—it’s aworldview issue. Will you trust what an all-knowing God says on thesubject or will you trust imperfect man’s assumptions and imaginationsabout the past that regularly are changing?

HaHaHaHa :lmao:

Actually there are many people who do believe this stuff. The ignorance is astounding. Yes, as we all know, science is "imperfect assumptions and imaginations".

Actually, I really can't read stuff like that anymore, it still makes me mad.

... I am very ashamed I believed that...

I understand the shame. But I hope you won’t dwell in it too long.

It could be worse. You could still be believing all that crap. But now you don’t.

The article exaggerates the error of the methods used to date the earth. The precision is really quite good (see wikipedia). Creationists have to jump through a lot of hoops to keep believing that the earth is flat only 6,000 years old.

Incidentally, the claim that the earth is about 6,000 years old is called the Young Earth Creationism.

The article exaggerates the error of the methods used to date the earth. The precision is really quite good (see wikipedia). Creationists have to jump through a lot of hoops to keep believing that the earth is flat only 6,000 years old.

Incidentally, the claim that the earth is about 6,000 years old is called the Young Earth Creationism.

Hello.

If anyone's interested, I recently tried out a new (for me) line of argument on a YEC, over in another forum. So far, no response. Did he cut and run or is he biding his time? I dunno! Anyway, if it's ok, I'd like to run this argument past some other members of Ex-ChrNet, to see if it actually holds as much water as I think it does. As of now, I reckon that this Geology-based argument blows Young Earth Creationism out of the water, but I'm also open to criticism and correction from anyone here. Any takers?

Thanks,

BornAgainAthiest.

Guest I Love Dog
The age of the earth ultimately comes down to a matter of trust—it’s aworldview issue. Will you trust what an all-knowing God says on thesubject or will you trust imperfect man’s assumptions and imaginationsabout the past that regularly are changing?

Actually there are many people who do believe this stuff. The ignorance is astounding. Yes, as we all know, science is "imperfect assumptions and imaginations".

It's good that you don't read stuff like that any more, but unfortunately there are millions who do read it and even worse, they believe it!

Strange how those religious people who believe that those scientists and their equipment are so wrong, and are so intelligent as to know better than scientists, believe all the rubbish in an old book written by people who had the intellience of a frog.

My husband gets frustrated with me because I go looking for idiotic stuff like that and it does still irritate me. Thing is, most of my family believes this stuff and I want to be aware of what they think. I also want to challenge myself to come up with arguments against it. So far a very easy task. Even without scientific knowledge I can easily find logical fallacies used in their arguments. Thats actually what really riles me up. I can understand being uneducated but I can't comprehend the total lack of logical thought process. I just want to knock some sense into them!

I also watch fox news and religious channels sometimes but I can't stand them for long. Van Impe was particularly mind boggling when I used to watch it late at night. Again, husband can't stand it. But he never was a christian. His family is very liberal and unreligious. He doesn't know what its like to have people in your life who believe this crap.

Anyway, thanks for the link. I enjoy (right word?) reading their insanity.

Chalk me up as one who used to believe this shit. The dogma that the Bible is the "perfect Word of God" was sooooo ingrained in me that stuff like this was easy to latch onto. Now I can see how stupid it is, but it seemed like truth back then.

How I wish I had been raised with a healthy respect for science rather than a deluded respect for the Bible.

I'm glad that I was never a YEC. I did tout Creationism in general, but trying to seriously believe in a 6,000 year old earth is like believing the Easter Bunny comes and deposits candy filled eggs around your house.

I love the circular reasoning of the bible. The Bible says so, thus it's true. The Bible says it's inspired by God, so it is, even though a man wrote the phrase saying it was inspired.

I can understand the doubt in carbon dating and such. Fine, whatever. But you'd have to be blind to really think this planet is only that young.

You know I just realized, this fool can't even do theology right. I couldn't get past:

Genesis 1 says that the earth was created on the first day of creation

False. The Bible says in the beginning.. not on day 1. On day one, verse 2, it says the earth already existed, it was just "tohu vavohu" which.. well no one really knows what that means. The Hebrew is so archaic, our best guess is "topsy-turvy." That could mean a million different things.

Such theological crap makes me want to curse. But I'll refrain and just say he could learn that shit in Bible 101 in any non-conservative school that teaches theology. Actually, you don't even have to take a class. Just read the damn verses.

Guest Religion Loather

I made a mistake with tht title, it says old earth, I meant young earth

My whole family and church believes the young earth, and one of my sister's sunday school teachers showed them that article and thats where I found it.

I think it is really damning of their beliefs that there isn't even a clear concensus among them about how old the earth is, amongst many, MANY other things.

Cultures around the world give an age of the earth which confirms what the Bible teaches.

No they don't. The Assyrian library full of stone tablets (where the Epic of Gilgamesh was discovered) contains a list of "antediluvian" (pre-Noah's Flood) kings who lived for thousands of years. Add them up and it suggests the Assyrians believed the world was at least tens of thousands of years old, if not older.

Also, Hindus believe the earth is billions of years old. pre-contact North American Indian cultures believed the earth was ancient. I could go on, but why.

I found an article supporting the old earth, I don't know what to say. Very ignorant, and I am very ashamed I believed that when I was a christian, sad thing is, my whole christian family and my entire church believes it...

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2007/05/30/how-old-is-earth

The article is too long to paste here.

Good ol' Ken Hamm. This guy defies anything even remotely related to logic.