Goodbye Jesus

My Boss Dressed Like A Kkk Member

xandermac

Today is my day off at the cafe and I decided to go by on the way to the drug store. My boss, the owner of the restaurant is wearing a KKK robe and hood! Not only did he wear it in front of customers but he went on a tour of the town stopping at the High School where his wife is a teacher and he used to be superintendent!!He went to every business in town! I'm so mortified I don't want people to know I work there. Everyone was laughing until I asked them if I dressed like Jesus on the cross would that be funny? Or how about dressing like Bin Laden with a soldiers head under my arm would that be funny? Because to me the KKK are no different than Al Qaeda. I really need my job but I'm so angry and embarrassed right now. Do I need to lighten up? I know it was a joke but shit ya'll.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vomit Comet

• ContraBardus

• Vigile

• qec

This would happen probably only in a few areas of the country, such as the one you live in xander. You have my sympathy. Not much you can do I suppose if you want to keep your job. Kinda makes me sick.

• Super Moderator

The guy's a moron. You shouldn't feel responsible for his stupidity. If anything, people should pity you for having to work for such an asshole.

Today is my day off at the cafe and I decided to go by on the way to the drug store. My boss, the owner of the restaurant is wearing a KKK robe and hood! Not only did he wear it in front of customers but he went on a tour of the town stopping at the High School where his wife is a teacher and he used to be superintendent!!He went to every business in town! I'm so mortified I don't want people to know I work there. Everyone was laughing until I asked them if I dressed like Jesus on the cross would that be funny? Or how about dressing like Bin Laden with a soldiers head under my arm would that be funny? Because to me the KKK are no different than Al Qaeda. I really need my job but I'm so angry and embarrassed right now. Do I need to lighten up? I know it was a joke but shit ya'll.

OOOooo, tough one.

I'm not much of a fighter, so my pacifist advice might not fit you or your circumstances. I'd say that the fact that people laugh or think it's funny is a good thing. When the KKK becomes the laughingstock of the nation, we will have made real progress towards respecting each other. If he may have intended it as a slight against blacks, however, then the man is beneath contempt.

Realistically, it is (at best) very poor taste, but that doesn't sound like something to lose your job over. If the man is truly prejudiced, and this shows up on days other than Halloween, then I'd say you might want to consider losing that job after all.

Look at it this way. You can use this experience to see how others react to the costume. If the blacks are not offended, I wouldn't be either.

Maybe you can slip something in his coffee and when he is sleeping it off you and some friends can drop him off in a black bar.

Not realistic, but the thought puts a smile on my face.

• Super Moderator

Kinda makes me smile too, Vigile!

Maybe you can slip something in his coffee and when he is sleeping it off you and some friends can drop him off in a black bar.

Not realistic, but the thought puts a smile on my face.

Makes me laugh out loud! :lmao:

Might be he is a "wizard under the sheets"?

Advertising?

Or he's looking for a good harvest time asskicking?

Sounds like his 1A right to be as obnoxious as he desires is in full swing mode..

kL

• Super Moderator

It just occurred to me that maybe instead of renting a costume, he just pulled something out of his closet.

Now all my co-workers think I'm a snob or something because I made it known that I wasn't amused. :HappyCry: Me a snob.I'm the one that dressed like wonder woman when the boss took a catering job for 300. I'm the one that put gravy in the pump lotion bottle and the one that made a turd out of deep fried hamburger complete with corn! Now that shit was funny.

If I dressed up like a KKK, I'd make sure I did so in a disrespectful way, like wearing underwear over the robes.

Can you imagine like dressing up as a wtc tower with a plane stuck in it? Cause that's about as offensive.

I have a couple ways of looking a this.

The obvious way of looking at it is just like everyone has pretty much said so I won't rehash that.

But the other reminds me of not so long ago when dressing like the devil was considered a taboo. Why would anyone dress like the real, live, devil other than those who wished to be like such a thing? But now (most) people don't think that way. It's really more of a parody and has taken the wind out of the image of the devil. Taking the KKK "uniform" away from them and making it mainstream would likely do a similar thing. Instead of it being a hidden symbol of "evil" it would be reduced to a parody of its former self. You could have the black KKK members. The flamboyant KKK members. And even Snuggie KKK members. A whole host of them. Assimilate it, dilute it and discard it.

mwc

Now all my co-workers think I'm a snob or something because I made it known that I wasn't amused. :HappyCry: Me a snob.I'm the one that dressed like wonder woman when the boss took a catering job for 300. I'm the one that put gravy in the pump lotion bottle and the one that made a turd out of deep fried hamburger complete with corn! Now that shit was funny.

You know, if it was for anything but Halloween, I'd agree.

People who dress up as Nazi's aren't considered in poor taste. I've seen people dressed up as Hitler, SS, and nazi troopers for costume parties all the time.

I think you're just reading too much into it. You're supposed to dress up as something scary, or evil. As a gag or whatever. I've seen far more insensitive costumes than a KKK member. I've seen people dressed as Muslims, Jews, Asians, and all sorts of nasty stereotypes.

No one complains when someone dresses up as a devil. Many people think they are very real. How is this worse when they're considered the source of -all- evil? It's not really any different.

There is such a thing as being overly sensitive, and this is just such a case. It's Halloween. People dress up as mass murderers, monsters, super heroes, fairies, demons, aliens, famous historical figures [with far more blood on their hands than the KKK], and portraying something that would be considered unpleasant is the norm.

Would you have been offended if he had come in dressed as Hitler, Mussolini, or Nero?

If yes, then you've missed the point, and you're being overly sensitive.

Nobody complains when people dress as Satan, or Darth Vader [The guy blew up a planet], or any number of famous villains and criminals, such as Mobsters, Charlie Manson, Confederate Soliders, or Vlad the Impaler [A demonic undead version of him no less]. How exactly is this any different?

Who cares? Seriously. You're supposed to dress up as something evil. Dressing up as a racist is no worse than dressing up as a murderer or enemy combatant in a historical war.

If his actions reflect racism then you've got something to complain about. Otherwise, you've got no room for feeling offended. No one can do that without your permission. Considering, I wouldn't even call it in poor taste.

I'm Irish, and I don't give a shit if someone decides to dress up as a Leprechaun for Halloween or a drunk Irishman for that matter.

I honestly don't see this as a problem on his end. It's Halloween, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it in that context. There is such a thing as being too sensitive, and this is a prime example of exactly that.

Sorry if some of you don't like how that sounds, but it's a costume holiday, and this sort of thing should be taken in good humor and without malice.

Unless there's some sort of president for actions and behavior that indicate he really means what his costume represents, there's just no excuse for taking it with any amount of seriousness.

Relax, get over it, and enjoy the holiday. I'm sure I'll be handing out candy to much worse tomorrow night at some point. Death itself, Hitler, and Satan are regular visitors. One racist isn't going to get me to raise my eyebrow even a little tomorrow night, or at anything related to the holiday.

Halloween...supposed to dress up scary, evil...or goofy. I don't see what the big deal is. Is dressing up like an axe murderer covered in blood somehow less "offensive"? How about dressing up like Bernie Madoff? He bilked people out of billions and ruined countless lives. Is that offensive? People are too sensitive...it's Halloween time for fucks sake.

If I dressed up like a KKK, I'd make sure I did so in a disrespectful way, like wearing underwear over the robes.

Can you imagine like dressing up as a wtc tower with a plane stuck in it? Cause that's about as offensive.

I think it'd be funny for a black guy to dress up as KKK member, but otherwise, it's just distracting.

BTW: OP, your boss' name isn't Michael Scott is it? :-) Freddy

• Super Moderator
Would you have been offended if he had come in dressed as Hitler, Mussolini, or Nero?

They're dead. The Klan is still alive. Too soon, that's all.

Hitler wouldn't be funny. I know people whose ancestors were put in the Camps. Mussolini wouldn't be funny either. My girlfriend's family suffered directly under him because Italy controlled the neighboring slice of Yugoslavia (western 1/3 of Slovenia + the Istrian Peninsula of Croatia) at the time, even before the war started (some of Austria-Hungary's territory ended up in Italian hands after WWI). She also has family, some of them still living, who were tortured in Camps for being Resistance fighters. Hitler and Mussolini may be dead, but these things are all still within living memory, especially for people who live within short driving distance of one of the Camps. If one thinks the South is still raw over the Civil War, compared to how raw they still are over WWII in that part of the world it's a fucking joke.

Also, going around as a Confederate soldier would get your ass kicked around here, unless you were at a party full of skinheads or lived way up in one of the rural cow towns. (I'm in Las Vegas.) I guess it's different in the South. Out on the West Coast it's barely socially acceptable to dress up like one for a reenactment. There were a few battles that happened out West, such as the battle of Fort Tejon, which took place way up in the Grapevine Pass between Los Angeles and Bakersfield, California.

I wouldn't be pissed off if some white kid went around dressed like an ese vato or a bandito, unless he had some ugly caricature of a latex mask and was acting out stupid stereotypes and speaking in an exaggerated phony accent. Then he would get confronted for certain, and possibly get his ass kicked, unless he wasn't going around like that in public and the costume party was full of similar idiots. Can't say I'd pity him.

Also, around here it would be idiotic to dress up like an ese vato. This is because a carload of real ones would pull over and... you'd be lucky if you got off with just an ass kicking. Even if they knew you weren't one, you'd get it just for "fronting." You learn at a very early age not to wear a rag (bandanna) of any color, and to avoid wearing a baseball cap in certain neighborhoods.

Also, around here it would be idiotic to dress up like an ese vato. This is because a carload of real ones would pull over and... you'd be lucky if you got off with just an ass kicking. Even if they knew you weren't one, you'd get it just for "fronting." You learn at a very early age not to wear a rag (bandanna) of any color, and to avoid wearing a baseball cap in certain neighborhoods.

I spent 3 months on the beach in India a couple of years ago. They have stray dogs everywhere along the beach that hang out in packs of 4-6. Each pack had its own stretch of beach of maybe 200-300 meters. If a dog from another pack came along all the dogs in that area would run out from under their beach chairs where they would lay and stay cool and ferociously chase it off. If a person walked their dog down the beach the same thing would occur.

After watching them for a while I would just smile in amusement at how silly those human packs can get.

Exactly. Thank you.

I can see the humor in it I guess. But yeah that is offensive for the most part. Do you know if any other people were offended?

I know a guy who did that for a Halloween party once but deliberately tucked the back of the robes in his underwear and walked around like that. It was a hit!

I got into a flap because I wanted to dress up like the President of Iran. (Not going to attempt to spell his name.) My justification was that he's an asshole and he's bat-shit crazy, and that the people who are on the receiving end of that, far more than anyone else, are the Iranian people themselves. So he deserves to be mocked for that. Others said that he's currently one of the West's "bogeymen", an stand-in for their fear and hatred of "ragheads" and "Mooooslimes." Eh... :shrug:

If he'd painted a smiley face and the words "Have a Nice Day" on the back and claimed he liked stampeding cattle through the Vatican as a kink, then that woulda been funny:

Anything can be laughed at, even the KKK. If that wasn't his intent then he sounds like he was being a clueless tool.

Guest I Love Dog

Totally gross. I can't imagine living in a country where a group like KKK formed and is allowed to continue.

Guest ephymeris

I would have been shocked and horrified to see someone dressed as a KKK member and I was born and raised in the DEEP south where the klan is still active. Yes, Halloween costumes make light of horrible people like Hitler and Mussolini but those people are dead and their reign of terror over. The klan and it's hatred lives on and to see it brought out into the light of day and paraded around (especially in my workplace) would make me TERRIBLY uncomfortable. I don't think the OP was being stuffy, I would have found it offensive too.