Goodbye Jesus

"i'll Pray For You!"

BoneyardDiva

Today I was driving to an appointment & I noticed a grey Mazda truck was tailing me. I have several bumper stickers on my car (including a Darwin fish & a "Dog is my Copilot" sticker) & I figured the lady was just reading them. Still, she stayed right on me for some reason. We got to a stop light & I looked at her in my rear-view mirror. She was making a praying sign & pointing to me, as in, "I'll pray for you." :thanks: I just kind of :shrug: & she went around me & kept going on her way. She didn't attempt to signal me after that, but I noticed she turned into the parking lot of a Wesleyan school, as if she worked there.

I have never been approached or signaled about my bumper stickers in a negative way before (I've had some positive comments in the past), but since I'm in North Carolina, I guess it was bound to happen. My stickers aren't overly provocative, nor are they angry or anti-god. It was just weird that this woman had already judged me & was going to pray for me & she didn't know a thing about me. :nono: I think it speaks negatively about her religion, not me...don't you?

BYD

Today I was driving to an appointment & I noticed a grey Mazda truck was tailing me. I have several bumper stickers on my car (including a Darwin fish & a "Dog is my Copilot" sticker) & I figured the lady was just reading them. Still, she stayed right on me for some reason. We got to a stop light & I looked at her in my rear-view mirror. She was making a praying sign & pointing to me, as in, "I'll pray for you." :thanks: I just kind of :shrug: & she went around me & kept going on her way. She didn't attempt to signal me after that, but I noticed she turned into the parking lot of a Wesleyan school, as if she worked there.

I have never been approached or signaled about my bumper stickers in a negative way before (I've had some positive comments in the past), but since I'm in North Carolina, I guess it was bound to happen. My stickers aren't overly provocative, nor are they angry or anti-god. It was just weird that this woman had already judged me & was going to pray for me & she didn't know a thing about me. :nono: I think it speaks negatively about her religion, not me...don't you?

BYD

That's not as easy a question to answer as you think.

First, she believes she is helping you. She may help you to death, but save your immortal soul and she will feel good about it, but her motives are pure.

Second, you are the one with the "offensive" material on your car (in the sense that it violates the common values of that location).

As long as there isn't a pick-up truck full of people with guns and pitchforks ramming the back of your vehicle, just let it roll past.

Oh, and now is not the time to put that sticker on your car with the upside down cross.

"I'll pray for you" is almost as instintive a reply as "geshundheit" in these parts. My reply if it's in person is "why, can't I do it for myself if I wanted?" Since you had a drive-by praying, that isn't an option, and yes, it says tons about the xian mindset.

Belated welcome to the forum, BTW.

Absolutely! I also think it speaks negatively of her.You are a nicer driver than I am. I so would have brake-checked her.

HAHA! I didn't even think of braking on her. She did get out from behind me right after gesturing at me, so I guess she thought her "job" was done. Ugh.

That's not as easy a question to answer as you think. First, she believes she is helping you. She may help you to death, but save your immortal soul and she will feel good about it, but her motives are pure.Second, you are the one with the "offensive" material on your car (in the sense that it violates the common values of that location). As long as there isn't a pick-up truck full of people with guns and pitchforks ramming the back of your vehicle, just let it roll past.Oh, and now is not the time to put that sticker on your car with the upside down cross.

Dammit...I'll just wait on strapping the sacrificial lamb to my trunk then, huh? What a pity. LOL

Yes, I do realize that the woman thought she was helping me. How do you change the logic of someone who truly believes? I don't think you can...so I just :shrug: & let her move on w/ her life. Just a strange, strange lady.

BYD

"I'll pray for you" is almost as instintive a reply as "geshundheit" in these parts. My reply if it's in person is "why, can't I do it for myself if I wanted?" Since you had a drive-by praying, that isn't an option, and yes, it says tons about the xian mindset.Belated welcome to the forum, BTW.

Yes, it's what all the local yokels say. It's no wonder I moved out of po-dunk town to the "city." LOL I WAS driving in a smaller town when that lady was trailing me. Thx for the welcome. I live about 1 1/2 hrs north of you. :wicked:

Phanta,

I must respectfully disagree that the Darwin Fish & my "Dog is My Copilot" bumper stickers are provocative. I do not think they are there to antagonize people of faith, rather to make a pun & represent another way of thinking. My intentions are to merely show that not everyone believes in God.

While I don't think the woman's offer of prayer was offensive, I found it judgmental. Even that didn't bother me as much as her tail-gating me. I was really annoyed by that.

BYD

I can't agree with Pandora either. I spend a lot of time in my car. I like to decorate it. I change out my stickers and magnets frequently and if BoneyardDiva's "provocative," then I'm a rolling insult to some. I'm also in NC and I've never had anyone directly antagonize me for my sociopolitical "flair." (Most of my driving is around Charlotte, though.)

I did, however, have three Pittsburgh Steelers magnets stolen from my car in the buildup to the playoffs last year. So much for the 8th commandment.

Well if I where to do something like this I would just insult everyone including myself; just have a bunch of bumper stickers with every conceivably fucked up thing to say possible. Then maybe toss in a few here in there designed to make people go "what's he really getting at", and one just in case they mistakenly think I fuckin hated everyone (I don't).

I usually appreciate offers for prayer. I don't find it offensive, it's there way of trying to comfort you and seem sensitive. I tell a Christian that my grandfather is dying, and I get a "I'll pray for him," a non-christian usually will give the offer of "if you need anything at all..."

BUT, in your context, it's a little offensive and presumptuous. They're not praying for you to help you, or comfort you, they're praying for you because to them, you're wrong and need to be fixed.

Absolutely! I also think it speaks negatively of her.

You are a nicer driver than I am. I so would have brake-checked her.

The minute she started the praying sign, I would have so given her a sign of my own. :Wendywhatever:

I can't agree with Pandora either. I spend a lot of time in my car. I like to decorate it. I change out my stickers and magnets frequently and if BoneyardDiva's "provocative," then I'm a rolling insult to some. I'm also in NC and I've never had anyone directly antagonize me for my sociopolitical "flair."

I haven't even had a Chick tract end up on my car because of it. Back in the day, I had a rainbow sticker on my car & I would get those religious booklets on my car all the time. At least people weren't breaking my car windows or something, but still...

I usually appreciate offers for prayer. I don't find it offensive, it's there way of trying to comfort you and seem sensitive. BUT, in your context, it's a little offensive and presumptuous. They're not praying for you to help you, or comfort you, they're praying for you because to them, you're wrong and need to be fixed.

Yes, this person was assuming that she really knew something deep about me & was going to help fix me. Seriously, c'mon now. They're BUMPER STICKERS people.

The minute she started the praying sign, I would have so given her a sign of my own. :Wendywhatever:

AHAHAHAHAH!!! I thought about that, but decided it would be just as silly as her symbol. :close:

I can't agree with Pandora either. I spend a lot of time in my car. I like to decorate it. I change out my stickers and magnets frequently and if BoneyardDiva's "provocative," then I'm a rolling insult to some. I'm also in NC and I've never had anyone directly antagonize me for my sociopolitical "flair."

I haven't even had a Chick tract end up on my car because of it. Back in the day, I had a rainbow sticker on my car & I would get those religious booklets on my car all the time. At least people weren't breaking my car windows or something, but still...

I usually appreciate offers for prayer. I don't find it offensive, it's there way of trying to comfort you and seem sensitive. BUT, in your context, it's a little offensive and presumptuous. They're not praying for you to help you, or comfort you, they're praying for you because to them, you're wrong and need to be fixed.

Yes, this person was assuming that she really knew something deep about me & was going to help fix me. Seriously, c'mon now. They're BUMPER STICKERS people.

AHAHAHAHAH!!! I thought about that, but decided it would be just as silly as her symbol. :close:

What? I would have just held up my rosary... :grin: