Goodbye Jesus

Zoe Mets

Zoe was born in Kansas on July 18, 1995 in what was most likely a puppy mill; the same month and year I graduated from high school. Somehow she found her way to a pet shop on the corner of University and Goldenrod in Winterpark, Florida at the same time I was there attending Full Sail Center for the Recording Arts.

I had an Albino Tree Snake at the time, and we (my girlfriend at the time) had gone to the shop to buy a mouse for him. She was the one who spotted her. She was the one who bought her. But I named her Zoe, and I trained her and cleaned up after her and fed her. I had wanted a dog my whole life; and she was my first one. She, in turn taught me not just how to love unconditionally, but how to be a better person.

I soon broke up with that girlfriend, and I bought Zoe off of her. That was a tough break up for me and Zoe helped me get through it. I didn't know many other people in Winterpark, and Zoe and me bonded that year.

She lived with me for almost four years, well after my graduation from Full Sail and my move back down to South Florida. But my life had gotten very busy with being a grunt in recording studios during the day, and being a short order cook till after midnight just about every night. So I reluctantly gave her to my parents to raise, lucky for me they live only a few blocks away from me. She spent the next 11 years with them, swimming in the pool, laying out by the fire on cool nights, and making sure the yard was free of lizards and squirrels. I went to see her almost every morning over the time she lived with my folks, and as she got older and her kidneys started to fail I think she started to become dependent on me being able to come let her out to go potty more often.

Last year she jumped out of the back of an SUV and tore her hind legs up. She healed up OK but she hasn't been the same since. A few weeks ago she stopped eating much and over the last few days she's not had any food or drink. Over the last year she has also fought kidney failure, common in her breed. She's tired, she knows it's her time...

But even though she's given me 14 1/2 great years, and I've known this was coming for over a year, I just don't want to say goodbye to her yet. I think back to the big empty field we used to go running in, or the stream she used to love to go explore and splash around in, and I wish I could have just one more day with that puppy. I was young then too, and didn't spend nearly as much time with her as I could have; and that I should have.

But I am a better person today because of Zoe. She taught me about unconditional love, and companionship, and about compromise. She taught me that the best time all day can be a long, quiet walk in the cool of the evening. But most important of all, Zoe taught me that I need to have patience.

I am going to miss you so much Zoe, I wish I could express it to you so you could understand what you meant to me. I'm sorry I couldn't have done better for you; I did the best I could, but you deserved nothing but the best. Goodbye, old friend. I will love you forever; and I will never forget our brief time spent together.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

MartyMets.com

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

This post reminds me of my dog Jake, he died recently too. I know how you feel with not being able to spend as much time with him like you wanted, but it is okay because she won't feel anymore pain again. Appreciate the good times you had with her and never forget how she has changed you for the better.

Hugs, Marty.

Aw, Marty. :(

Pets are amazing. They're one of the best things in life. Losing them is just awful even when expected, even after they've had a long happy life and have been just great.

Zoe sounds like a wonderful part of the family who will be dearly missed. From one pet lover to another, many many condolences.

Guest I Love Dog

Know just how you feel, Marty. I lost Amie last year, aged 12. I still have her brother, Josh(that's him pretending to be me, as my avatar. He's now 13 and has a problem with arthritis and steps are getting to be a bit of a problem and he's now deaf, but he still loves life!

They are such wonderful companions, Our two have/had been everywhere with us. If we can't take our dogs, then we don't go!

You'll treasure all the memories and in time your heart will heal.

A couple of dog poems that I love

Pets teach us, ironically, about humanity. I miss my pets, and I wish they were still with me, but dogs just don't live long enough.

Your tribute was moving. It touches me deeply, and so we too will remember Zoe.

Marty, as others have said, you are not alone. I do understand what you feel.

Eight years later we still have a house full of pets, but I still miss her so much, there simply isn't words.

Time heals... but only so much.

:(

Sorry to hear about your dog Marty. A lot of people like to down play how much it hurt to lose a pet but I know (I'm sure most of us here probably do) it can suck even when you see it coming.

mwc

Thanks for the kind words everyone; this has been a real tough 2 days for me.

I forgot to mention that Zoe was also a really smart dog. I've attached a pic of her reading a book about her breed, the American Eskimo...

post-1612-12602323606_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the kind words everyone; this has been a real tough 2 days for me.

I forgot to mention that Zoe was also a really smart dog. I've attached a pic of her reading a book about her breed, the American Eskimo...

Beautiful, and so smart! I loved my dogs, even thought they were kind of dumb. They loved me like there was no tomorrow. I learned that from them.

I always hate hearing about a loss of a pet.

She's beautiful, Marty.

I'm sure she treasured every moment with you, just like you have with her. Give her the best day you can before the end, and know that the happiness you gave her was the world to her.

(((Marty)))

Marty,

She is beautiful!!! And I love your tribute. Thank you.

Hugs,

noob

• Super Moderator

To lose a pet is the worst experience for me. My condolences for your loss.

Guest ephymeris

My sincere condolensces, Marty. I know what it's like to love and lose a treasured pet. We can't help for wish for one more day, I can definately relate, but it sounds like you gave her a beautiful life.

Being an animal lover myself (I currently live with a lab, a poodle, 3 cats, and 2 geckos), your story broke my heart.

I lost a rescue dog to distemper (she came from a filthy, germy pound. BARC in Houston - I fucking HATE that place!) this year after only having her for a week and that was brutal. I think of her everyday.

I cannot bear the thought of losing any of my animal friends after a lifetime with them, though I know I will have to face it someday.

Sending hugs and warm thoughts your way!

You have my sympathy on the loss of your baby. You not only had a great dog, but she had a wonderful human.

they love us unconditionally

Man.... This sucks bro. Ugh, goddamnit. I'm glad I am not in your shoes; it has to be pretty painful to lose someone who loves you unconditionally like that.

Though most people on this site would say there is no such thing as a soul (i have serious doubts), there is no question that if there is such a thing, animals have them just like humans have them. I had a Siamese cat for many years that was emotionally closer to being a dog (i like dogs, too, but cats are easier in an apartment) so i know what it's like to lose a close animal friend. My condolences.

• Super Moderator

I'm so sorry for your loss. My 17-year old cat died a few months ago. I still feel sad when I come home and she's not at the door to greet me. Take care.

Though most people on this site would say there is no such thing as a soul (i have serious doubts), there is no question that if there is such a thing, animals have them just like humans have them. I had a Siamese cat for many years that was emotionally closer to being a dog (i like dogs, too, but cats are easier in an apartment) so i know what it's like to lose a close animal friend. My condolences.

Honestly, I consider myself an atheist, but am completely open minded to the idea of souls and afterlife, though I'm not entirely convinced either way. My past experience with the paranormal leaves me no other choice than to be open minded about such things.

I agree, if people have them, so do animals.

I've always liked this cat quote:

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" Theophile Gautier.

Course I think it applies to dogs as well ^_^