Goodbye Jesus

Tattoos

Panther

I have one tattoo. On the back of my right shoulder is a black panther :HaHa: holding a rose in his mouth.

I remember when I got it, I was still a christian. (god forbid!! A tattoo!!!)

People starting referring to the OT. So....I would like to ask....

Do you of the christians here have a problem with tattoos? Or even piercings?

If so, WHY?

If you read the OT, there are other "rules" such as not cutting your hair, etc. So why pick and choose?

Edit: can a mod correct my spelling of tattoo please in the topic line? :thanks: sorry...my fingers are too quick at times.

People starting referring to the OT. So....I would like to ask....

Do you of the christians here have a problem with tattoos? Or even piercings?

That's a new one on me! I don't think it's a problem amongst British Christians. Do you know which part of the OT they were thinking of? I once heard a Christian with an earring quote the OT verse about slaves being pierced in the ear if they decided to remain in their master's service. He said his piercing showed that he was in God's service. But I think he said it jokingly.

I personally admire tattoos ....... on other people. I don't fancy the pain! I was always a more devout coward than a devout Christian! :grin:

I'm not too keen on piercings, but not for religious reasons. The thought just makes me wince!

I negotiated with my daughter when she was a teen that she wouldn't get any done until she was 16. Mainly because it's not something you can easily change your mind about afterwards. She used non-permanent fakes instead. It was a compromise that worked for us! :grin:

Leviticus 19:28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

1 Corinthians 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

(King James Version)

Google offers you this: Tattoo discussion on Christian forum

Title corrected, per request.

Leviticus 19:28 (King James Version)

Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

Thanks for the quote! I might have guessed it would be Leviticus!

I think even in my more conservative Christian days if anyone had quoted that at me I would have found it hard not to laugh! Talk about out of context!

Do USA Christians have the saying "A verse without a context is a pretext"?

Leviticus 19:28  Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

Emphasis in bold. This was an admonition against sorcery/witchcraft, not against mere decoration.

I'm gonna get this done in Henna and tell the wife it's permanent LOL

Monkey Butt

or this!

Cow

Panther, FWIW, the Bible says it is not what goes in the body that defiles it, but what comes out of the body. I would personally extend that to what goes on the body does not defile it, but what comes out of the body. It is all based on intentions of the heart. If you have a panther, I perceive that as an animal that is finely toned, that is in the 'zone' of the harmony of life, and with a rose in its mouth... says this also... it embraces nature's simple beauty by the embodiment of the physically toned, in tune with the harmony of life. Cool! :wicked:

I think it's a serious decision since it's almost permanent and costs a lot to be faded. But I admire those who care to turn their bodies into a piece of art. I don't think I would do it but if someone is serious about it well he can go right ahead, it's his body after all. :)

All the Christians I know don't have a problem with anything they want to do. It's always someone else who sins, not them. Several of them have tattoos, nose piercings, dress very seductively, party, get drunk, etc (all stuff that mainstream Christianity would frown on).

And believe you me, there's hell to pay when I bring up some of the things they do that is against God's word.

Hypocrites, the lot of them.

All the Christians I know don't have a problem with anything they want to do.  It's always someone else who sins, not them.  Several of them have tattoos, nose piercings, dress very seductively, party, get drunk, etc (all stuff that mainstream Christianity would frown on).

And believe you me, there's hell to pay when I bring up some of the things they do that is against God's word.

Hypocrites, the lot of them.

*snort*

That's very true. I myself have a tattoo, on my left shoulder. It's a Celtic lover's knot, with my husband's name above it, and A Ghra below it, which is Irish Gaelic for My Beloved.

All my so-called Christian friends, who had tattoos and piercings, were APPALLED. *I* was sinning. I was creating an idol to my husband on my flesh. I asked about the tattoos with their kids' names, and their crosses, and THAT was DIFFERENT. I asked what was different if it was all graven images?

Of course, I also got a huge amount of criticism when I got a cartilage piercing in my right ear this summer. Ask me if I really care....nope, not at all. I pointed to their faces, where they could shoot water out of several different holes (not really, but that's what it looked like), and called them hypocrites.

This is why they are EX-friends, just like I'm an Ex-Christian.

Oh, Amanda, if only we all could see the bible in the same glorious light that you do.  :-)

My last year of studying I had taken on the that the law, all of it, was to be obeyed.  But as with many others within Christianity, each sect has there own interpretation.

Thank you... exceedingly kind of you! :thanks: Serenity, perhaps its not ultimately important how we each interpret the bible, but how we see and treat each other. I think I would trust you with anything... from what I've come to perceive is in your heart. It's heart-warming to see people ready to defend someone who has been oppressed unjustly too.

Growing up I was taught that our apperance was upmost important. We were to look like a christian as well as act like one. (Yeah, this from MY parents)

Most christians have the habit of going on apperances instead of what is on the inside. People who have tattoos, overabundance of piercings, etc.... are seen as drug users, the lowest of society by christians. This is the only reason I have seen for this.

I know that I was in the christian forums and heard them talk bad about those who are on "INXS-rockstar". They did nothing but talk bad about them because they smoked cigs and had tattoos. The ironic thing is, those on the show are the nicest people I have seen on any reality show.

When will people start looking to see what is on the inside before they judge on what is on the outside?

P.s. I have two tattoos. A chain on my ankle and a rose on my boob.

Most of the Christians I know have tattoos. But then again, most of them a new Born Again Jesus-Freak Hippy Christians, not traditionalists, so the biblical implications of piercings and body art may be different in their minds. :shrug:

I have a henna tattoo right now on my right hand. It ciricles my wrist, covers the back of my hand, and goes down my middle finger. It makes flipping someone off look pretty nifty.

Ironically, I got the tattoo at the local Germanfest, Oktoberfest. LOL