Goodbye Jesus

Football, Patriotism And Jesus

Vigile

The only organized football I ever played was YMCA football. There was no prayer in YMCA football. You just have to love living in the north of Wisconsin.

I never played YMCA football, but I played YMCA soccer when I was a kid and I don't remember any prayer then and I was in the south, which is ironic since they have the word Christian in their organization.

I was also a band nerd in hs. Mississippi State grad and SEC football fan (except for the Gators), so this Thursday I'm sayin' Roll Tide!!

More power to 'em. BTW, my school, BSU, has a chance at #2. It's an impossible dream come true. I got up at 4 a.m. last night to watch the Fiesta Bowl and man, was it ever worth it. When I was in school they were Div II and being this close to a national title was laughable. What a Cinderella season.

That was Utah last year in the Sugar Bowl. Despite a perfect season, they went in with just about every "big" sports voice betting on Alabama, and we creamed 'em. It was beautiful.

I was kind of disappointed in Utah's performance this year, but I'm glad to see other teams in the MWC are doing well. I even (grudgingly) root for BYU when they're playing a team from a different conference, as it makes the mountain west look better and increases the pressure on the NCAA to do away with the bowl series in favor of a national playoff model - you know, like every other sport and even the other levels of football have.

Back in high school, the Xian coach preached to his team about "total release" (TR) i.e., give the game over to Jesus and this will bring "true" victory, and they all put the letters TR on the backs of their helmets. With each succeeding loss the helmets became increasingly bare of the letters TR. I guess they were able to figure out what a sham it was..

The whole jesus/football/patriotism thing seems ingrained in parts of our culture, and those parts want to define this as traditional American values. Holding to anything else makes one part of the evil atheist liberal commie pedo scum empire of darkness. In the movie Bruno, there is a wrestling scene towards the end and the redneck crowd there seems to epitomize this view.

While I am pleased that the Tide won the game tonight, I am even more pleased to hear Mark Ingram, Alabama running back and Heisman winner, thank the system and his TEAMMATES for the win!

• Super Moderator

... I am even more pleased to hear Mark Ingram, Alabama running back and Heisman winner, thank the system and his TEAMMATES for the win!

Me too! I'm also glad Alabama won.

What about Boise State? 14-0. They deserve some respect. I doubt they could beat 'Bama but from what I saw the other day they could definitely play with them. Next year should be interesting.

The only organized football I ever played was YMCA football. There was no prayer in YMCA football. You just have to love living in the north of Wisconsin.

In HS I participated in Curling, Basket Ball, Track, and Cross Country with out a moment of organized prayer. If you want to escape the nonsense escape to Wisconsin.

The only organized football I every played was in P.E. in middle and high school. All boys were forced to play whether they wanted to or not and yes I resented every fucking second of it. I never understood the rules because I never wanted to. Sometimes I was lucky and would find another guy on the opposing team (probably gay just like me) and we would pretend to tackle each other and then move aside to let whatever it was that was so important take place without us. I made only one touchdown in all those years; some idiot threw me the ball and I actually caught it. If I had being paying attention and knew which way to run my touchdown would have been for my team instead of the opponent’s. My teammates had absolutely no sense of humor about it. I still think it’s funny. :lmao:

Is this emphasis on god at public events really that new?

I remember, when visiting the US 10 years ago, being astonished that the announcer at a Saturday night rodeo encouraged people to go to church the next day as he wrapped things up for the evening. That was made even more bizarre because I found the whole rodeo thing quite cruel and barbaric

What about Boise State? 14-0. They deserve some respect. I doubt they could beat 'Bama but from what I saw the other day they could definitely play with them. Next year should be interesting.

I think Boise may have had a good chance against 'Bama. BSU was playing about as good this year as the U was last year, and we creamed the Tide in the Sugar Bowl last January.

I'm pretty new to caring even a little bit about college football, but it's not taken me long at all to learn the BCS is a huge, steaming pile of crap.

Is this emphasis on god at public events really that new?

I remember, when visiting the US 10 years ago, being astonished that the announcer at a Saturday night rodeo encouraged people to go to church the next day as he wrapped things up for the evening. That was made even more bizarre because I found the whole rodeo thing quite cruel and barbaric

It's probably not new at all. I just didn't really pay attention before. I do recall our team huddling to pray before games when I was in Jr High. It was a public school and the coach led the prayer so I'm pretty sure this was a separation violation. Back then I didn't care.

For the most part the majority of players keep it quiet about religion. Tony Dungy the former coach of the Colts certainly couldn't though and of course there is Tim Tebow.

I don't know where most of you people have been for the past 40 years, but this evangelical love affair between Jesus and football is nothing new. In fact this shit permeates ALL walks of life in America. Have you never seen the huge religious orgasms surrounding Whitney Houston and Destinty's Child? Have you never seen an Award Show where people give thanks to Jesus? Kathy Griffin gave the best Jesus acceptance speech ever. Watch...

Classic! Jesus can suck it. [And football and every other pointless sport, too.] Kathy Griffin is my goddess, now!

Football was never my thing, but i did attend a few games in high school back in IN. I don't remember any religious crap, but i was more interested in socializing than the game and i sometimes even sat on the wrong side to be with friends from the other school!

I was, however, deeply involved the swim team at the YMCA, again as much for the social aspect as the competition. In all those years on the team i never figured out what the word "Christian" had to do with the YMCA, since religion was never brought up in any way, shape or form. The reason for the lack of Xtian presence may have had something to do with being brought up in a town known as "Sin City."

Anyhow, it looks as though there's a danger that the integration of Xtian madness into football may have the same effect that it did on the Republican Party, where my sympathies used to lie. I backed out quickly when i realized they were being taken over by the religious right. Surely there must be a lot of football fans that are sickened by the "Tebow effect."

Did anyone see this Christian movie from the movie studio that created Fireproof about Christian football when they were a Christian? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zciqppDGzGo Apparently the ruler of the universe, Jesus, really cares about local high school football.

may have had something to do with being brought up in a town known as "Sin City."

There can be only one. :nono:

031021-016..jpg

Personally, I love football, I am a big fan. But it is absurd to see all the Jebus love and jingoistic patriotism involved, especially post 9/11. High school football teams that only play other teams from their same state now have American flags sewn on their jerseys. Ummm... we know you're American. You are playing an American sport IN America. And as a die hard fan of Tim Teabag's arch-rival FSU, I have never been a fan of him for that and numerous other reasons. Namely the way the broadcasters fawn all over him... in one game as they were all talking about St Tim like horny schoolgirls, they cut to the sideline reporter Tracy Wolfson. Now, she is supposed to be an impartial reporting party, and she was wearing Tebow style gator eye black under her eyes and said she was pulling for him.... I'm sure the other team appreciated that. And their millions of fans at home. Teabow is the American wet dream, athletic, talented, 'hunky', and blindly religious. I guess his bff Jebus must have been busy the day they lost to Alabama and Tebow cried his eyes out on the sideline like a poor sport. The idea that their sky daddy would intervene and care at all about a football game shows what is so perverse about xtianity. He lets millions starve, millions get raped, children get abuse by thier parents or priests, but he has time to select one team from a pointless game over another. And this kind of stupid mentality is prized and applauded in our culture. No wonder the world is so fucked up.

Re: The image you posted -- his eyeliner says "John 16:3."

"They will do such things because they have not known the Father or me."

Huh? Is that intentional, or is he just incapable of writing "John 3:16" on his face while using a mirror?