Goodbye Jesus

Why Are Christians So Afraid To Die?

Saffron

This is my first post, and I wasn't sure where to put this. Sorry if it's in the wrong area.

I've been rolling this around in my head for some time. I'm sure it's already been discussed, but oh well.

Why are Christians so afraid to die? Why do they pray to God that he will heal their diseases if he has an ultimate plan for everyone? If they are to go to a Paradise as soon as they leave this world.

I understand some Christians say it's because they want to do more on this world, but that just doesn't cut it for me.

1. The fear, the sadness, it doesn't justify.

2. What about Christians who, besides accepting Jesus into their hearts etc etc fulfilling those requirements -- are total jerks?

Could it be that even they recognize that God doesn't actually exist? That they doubt his existence themselves?

I'd guess most the reason is that biology still wins. Not being afraid of death is contrary to survival mechanisms. Its the ones that are truly unafraid of death that are worrisome because they have nothing to lose. Its such an unnatural state that only the most utterly brainwashed will be able to overcome sadness over the death of another or fear of their own death. That's what I think anyway.

Plus their convictions are usually emotional which means they don't follow the logic of their beliefs to what would be the rational conclusion. They still rely on their emotional impulses even when they are contradictory. Take abortion for example. They believe aborted fetuses go right to heaven and yet will fight against its practice with every fiber of their being.

This is my first post, and I wasn't sure where to put this. Sorry if it's in the wrong area.

I've been rolling this around in my head for some time. I'm sure it's already been discussed, but oh well.

Why are Christians so afraid to die? Why do they pray to God that he will heal their diseases if he has an ultimate plan for everyone? If they are to go to a Paradise as soon as they leave this world.

I understand some Christians say it's because they want to do more on this world, but that just doesn't cut it for me.

2. What about Christians who, besides accepting Jesus into their hearts etc etc fulfilling those requirements -- are total jerks?

Could it be that even they recognize that God doesn't actually exist? That they doubt his existence themselves?

I'm not a priest or anything of that stature but I wouldn't see any TRUE christian being afraid to die.A big problem is that so many ppl call themselves christians without living like one.If they are doing that than they aren't true christians.True christians believe in Christ,follow him and give their lives to god.I would consider myself a decent Christian but without God I am nothing.I know God has forgiven me for my sins.And I don't fear death but in a sense that isn't suicidal I can't wait to die because the world I live in is a terrible and sinful place.I await the return of Jesus with patience and excitement.Cuz i know I don't have to be here anymore and I have been saved.The only reason I could see a person who claims to be christian being afraid of death is because they are weak in their faith,they arent sure if they have been forgiven,they haven't repented.This is probably the biggest reason here,since no one knows when God is coming,thought they do believe in Christ they know their lives are sinful and they are worried that they won't have time to make their lives something that God would be pleased of.Even though we don't deserve God's mercy He loves and wants to be with us.Christians know Jesus will return and they probably fear that they won't be ready.Hope that helped

I wouldn't see any TRUE christian being afraid to die.

You assholes can be so damned self righteous it makes me want to puke. On behalf of my dear departed xian grandfather and dear xian uncle, both I'm sure much more sincere and kind than you can ever be, go fuck yourself dick.

I'm not a priest or anything of that stature but I wouldn't see any TRUE christian being afraid to die.A big problem is that so many ppl call themselves christians without living like one.If they are doing that than they aren't true christians.True christians believe in Christ,follow him and give their lives to god.I would consider myself a decent Christian but without God I am nothing.I know God has forgiven me for my sins.And I don't fear death but in a sense that isn't suicidal I can't wait to die because the world I live in is a terrible and sinful place.I await the return of Jesus with patience and excitement.Cuz i know I don't have to be here anymore and I have been saved.The only reason I could see a person who claims to be christian being afraid of death is because they are weak in their faith,they arent sure if they have been forgiven,they haven't repented.This is probably the biggest reason here,since no one knows when God is coming,thought they do believe in Christ they know their lives are sinful and they are worried that they won't have time to make their lives something that God would be pleased of.Even though we don't deserve God's mercy He loves and wants to be with us.Christians know Jesus will return and they probably fear that they won't be ready.Hope that helped

So your argument comes down to: True Christians wouldn't be afraid. And that the ones who are simply don't feel prepared?

I'm guessing this means 95% of Christians aren't true Christians? I've yet to see a Christian funeral where they were having a bonfire and eating cake. I've witnessed the fear in my Christians families eyes when there is an illness or injury.

Do you consider Mother Teresa a 'True' Christian under your definition? Please take note that the Catholic church is currently undertaking steps to make her a Saint.

During her death...

during which "she felt no presence of God whatsoever", "neither in her heart or in the eucharist" as put by her postulator Rev. Brian Kolodiejchuk.

I'm not arguing about the merit or truth of Christianity here, simply trying to get what you mean by the idea that 'True' Christians aren't afraid. Can you honestly tell me you will feel no sadness, no fear when you die -- and likewise for your loved ones?

Thank you for replying though, the perspective of a Christian will certainly help me get to the bottom of this question.

So your argument comes down to: True Christians wouldn't be afraid. And that the ones who are simply don't feel prepared?

I'm guessing this means 95% of Christians aren't true Christians? I've yet to see a Christian funeral where they were having a bonfire and eating cake. I've witnessed the fear in my Christians families eyes when there is an illness or injury.

Do you consider Mother Teresa a 'True' Christian under your definition? Please take note that the Catholic church is currently undertaking steps to make her a Saint.

During her death...

during which "she felt no presence of God whatsoever", "neither in her heart or in the eucharist" as put by her postulator Rev. Brian Kolodiejchuk.

I'm not arguing about the merit or truth of Christianity here, simply trying to get what you mean by the idea that 'True' Christians aren't afraid. Can you honestly tell me you will feel no sadness, no fear when you die -- and likewise for your loved ones?

Thank you for replying though, the perspective of a Christian will certainly help me get to the bottom of this question.

Im just suggesting things.This is not a definite answer,they are merely possibilities to be considered.I was by no means insulting anyone and I do apologize for any anger or grief I caused by saying what i said.I am young and I can be ignorant at times so I am sorry for that.Please take into account that I am simply trying to make some suggestions.I personally am not afraid to die.By no right can I call myself a good christian because that is Gods judgement not mine.I was not trying to be self righteous,that is why I wrote that I know I am nothing without God.You will probably never see a funeral with a bonfire and cake .Whether i fear death or not the reality is that if I die people will mourn because they loved me.If I am afraid or not I am still gone from this earth and the people still alive have to bear that.I fear for some of my relatives because they have not accepted Christ therefore they could possibly go to hell.It is probably not so much the fear of physically dying that christians fear but probably more so where they will go when they die.Like I said I am suggesting things this is just the answer of one Christian of many.

I'm not a priest or anything of that stature but I wouldn't see any TRUE christian being afraid to die.

That what I think too. There aren't any True ChristiansTM. But There is a solution for YOU, the Only True ChristianTM!

Reckless endangerment.png

I must admit, when I was a Christian I didn't really have any fear of death. Now at times I do fear it. Not a fear of hell of course because I know that death is the end, but I do fear the end.

Sorry if that detracts from your argument, I'm just saying....

I'm not a priest or anything of that stature but I wouldn't see any TRUE christian being afraid to die.

That what I think too. There aren't any True ChristiansTM. But There is a solution for YOU, the Only True ChristianTM!

post-5749-126436226956_thumb.png

I never said I was the one and only true christian.You are right though there are no true christians cuz that depends on the perspective of the person using the word or reading it.But there are people who have given their lives to God. :)

I never said I was the one and only true christian.You are right though there are no true christians cuz that depends on the perspective of the person using the word or reading it.But there are people who have given their lives to God. :)

No you didn't say that. I deduced that because if the criterion is willingness to die, then you are probably alone.

Now, there are also people who have given their lives to Allah. Usually they bring unwilling guests. Clearly, the truth of the belief doesn't relate to willingness to die, right?

And, as you pointed out, logically if the goal is heaven, and life lasts nothing compared with eternity, then life is worth nothing. This, then, would lead to a lot of necessary conclusions.

For those who think the Old Testament children killed were sent to heaven, and that children get a free pass to heaven (Matt. 19:14), and knowing that 10% will become atheists and a lot more will commit unpardonable sins (and be prevented from entering Heaven (Matt. 5:10)), then it would be better if these children, and indeed all children, were to die.

Maybe you think their killers would not get into heaven, and that would prevent them, but you would be underestimating the love of a parent for a child. Such parents would be willing to sacrifice their own immortal souls and suffer for all eternity to ensure their children an eternity in heaven.

Wouldn't they? Would you?

I say there is no god, and this life is precious because it is the only existence we will ever have. I would do anything, including sacrificing my own mortal existence, to allow my children to live as long as nature allows.

Which way is the best way to live? As an atheist, or a Christian?

(Yeah, I know, false dichotomy, but still based on the differences between Christian theology and atheism.)

No you didn't say that. I deduced that because if the criterion is willingness to die, then you are probably alone.

Now, there are also people who have given their lives to Allah. Usually they bring unwilling guests. Clearly, the truth of the belief doesn't relate to willingness to die, right?

And, as you pointed out, logically if the goal is heaven, and life lasts nothing compared with eternity, then life is worth nothing. This, then, would lead to a lot of necessary conclusions.

For those who think the Old Testament children killed were sent to heaven, and that children get a free pass to heaven (Matt. 19:14), and knowing that 10% will become atheists and a lot more will commit unpardonable sins (and be prevented from entering Heaven (Matt. 5:10)), then it would be better if these children, and indeed all children, were to die.

Maybe you think their killers would not get into heaven, and that would prevent them, but you would be underestimating the love of a parent for a child. Such parents would be willing to sacrifice their own immortal souls and suffer for all eternity to ensure their children an eternity in heaven.

Wouldn't they? Would you?

I say there is no god, and this life is precious because it is the only existence we will ever have. I would do anything, including sacrificing my own mortal existence, to allow my children to live as long as nature allows.

Which way is the best way to live? As an atheist, or a Christian?

(Yeah, I know, false dichotomy, but still based on the differences between Christian theology and atheism.)

1)I am simply answering the question about Christians fear of death

2)I'm not sure what you are getting at now actually,You are gonna have to be more direct.

3)Christian

• Super Moderator

You assholes can be so damned self righteous it makes me want to puke. On behalf of my dear departed xian grandfather and dear xian uncle, both I'm sure much more sincere and kind than you can ever be, go fuck yourself dick.

This bears repeating, and I'd like to add my father to the list of dear departed Christians.

Honestly, I couldn't stand to be around the man because he was such a True Christian. Relentless evangelist and perennial apologist. A true 24-7 totally immersed believer who donated damn near all his time and money to the cause. He had 15 years in foreign missions. Never read a book or saw a film that wasn't about Christian shit. Yet, when suffering a very painful terminal illness, he still didn't want to go "home" to the Lord. He believed in Heaven as I believe in gravity, but he still didn't want to go.

Anyway, he meant well, and certainly was as true a Christian as I have ever known.

Even when I was a Christian, I was more afraid of how I might die than the actual dying process--it still rings true for me today. I fear less of a 16 ton weight dropping on my head than I do of dying of cancer.

Some boil all religions down to the fear of death.

This bears repeating, and I'd like to add my father to the list of dear departed Christians.

Honestly, I couldn't stand to be around the man because he was such a True Christian. Relentless evangelist and perennial apologist. A true 24-7 totally immersed believer who donated damn near all his time and money to the cause. He had 15 years in foreign missions. Never read a book or saw a film that wasn't about Christian shit. Yet, when suffering a very painful terminal illness, he still didn't want to go "home" to the Lord. He believed in Heaven as I believe in gravity, but he still didn't want to go.

Anyway, he meant well, and certainly was as true a Christian as I have ever known.

You are trying to justify and protect your father while you put to shame his life and everything that he lived for with your words.This may hurt to read and I am sorry for that.

Jake, I'm not trying to speak on behalf of Florduh, but it doesn't seem like he was trying to justify or protect his dad. It seems that he was trying to make the point that his father was the closest thing to a True Christian (that you described) and yet he was still afraid to die and go 'home' to the glorious paradise he had talked about all his life. (Correct me if I'm wrong florduh but that's how I perceived you anecdote)

As to the OP, I've wondered this before too. I don't understand why Christians aren't involved in more reckless self-endangerment! I think that with the view that eternal life is so much better than our present life, more Christians would be running to figure out a way to die sooner so they can get started on their eternal life. But as I've been told (and what I used to believe), there is no hope without the hope of an afterlife. So it boggles me why they don't go ahead and get there. I think they have an unnerving feeling that what they believe is nothing more than a fairy tale. (Although some would disagree and say it's because their job here on earth isn't done. But if you're dying your job is done)

Jake, I'm not trying to speak on behalf of Florduh, but it doesn't seem like he was trying to justify or protect his dad. It seems that he was trying to make the point that his father was the closest thing to a True Christian (that you described) and yet he was still afraid to die and go 'home' to the glorious paradise he had talked about all his life. (Correct me if I'm wrong florduh but that's how I perceived you anecdote)

As to the OP, I've wondered this before too. I don't understand why Christians aren't involved in more reckless self-endangerment! I think that with the view that eternal life is so much better than our present life, more Christians would be running to figure out a way to die sooner so they can get started on their eternal life. But as I've been told (and what I used to believe), there is no hope without the hope of an afterlife. So it boggles me why they don't go ahead and get there. I think they have an unnerving feeling that what they believe is nothing more than a fairy tale. (Although some would disagree and say it's because their job here on earth isn't done. But if you're dying your job is done)

The writers knew that Christians would commit suicide in droves once they thought they were going to heaven after death, so they threw in the suicide plug.

Yeah, Ophelia that's what I figured. But if they are recklessly endangering themselves and something 'accidentally' happens then it's not necessarily suicide. Shyone's picture says it all. Unless you come from the angle that they thought of ways to get killed and therefore were guilty of suicide in their head. :shrug:

• Super Moderator

You are trying to justify and protect your father while you put to shame his life and everything that he lived for with your words.This may hurt to read and I am sorry for that.

Nothing to apologize for. You just can't read plain English.

I wanted to mention this: once I deconverted fully, I was able to fully deal with the death of a really good friend of mine. For months, in my weird leaving christian period, I was so depressed and could not imagine that he had just died. My hope was still in the fact that there was an afterlife. However, my fear was that I was wrong. When I came to realize that it was all a lie it made it easier to know that he was just gone. I was able to reminisce on the good memories and not worry about whether or not he made it to heaven or hell. I feel so much better now about death then I did as a christian.

(blah) TRUE christian (yadda)

:loser:

That's an interesting statement. If Christianity was true, Christians wouldn't feel fear, but some do. But are they in fear because they're not true Christians or is it because they don't feel that security or conviction they wish they had?

What would a someone who believe he is Christian and wants to be a Christian do if he does feel fear of death? Would he be satisfied with your answer? He or she is praying and reading the Bible, but it doesn't help. Or the person goes to Church everyday, but yet doesn't get the certainty. Is that person a false Christian according to you?

I can only speak from my own experience, I felt more fear of death as a Christian than I do now. Now I know, back then I only hoped. What if I had committed the unforgivable sin and deserved Hell? God never gave me the sense of security I needed. Now I don't need it, since I'm certain what will happen to me and I have accepted it.

Certainty trumps hope.

I was just talking to someone the other day about this very topic.

Christians are just like every other species on this planet. They have an instinctive desire to live and avoid death. The problem is that if they screw up, they will be tortured forever and ever with burning fire by a loving god. The very god they choose to believe in will turn against them and set them on fire because they didn't follow his rules. Each denomination has some slightly different view on just how much you have to screw up before god turns against you. Also, so many denominations believe that if a person dies before they are supposed to (based on population statistics), then they must have sinned and god was punishing them. So then, they are confused inwardly about whether they should or should not welcome death.

Some christians are nice people who happen to have religious beliefs. Others could be nice people, but they are warped by false guilt, dictatorially imposed moral rules, and an insecure feeling of having to be better than non-christians. So, they elevate themselves to feel morally superior.

This is what the christian who posted in this thread was doing. He or she compared his or herself to the *artificial* christians to feel morally superior.

I am young and I can be ignorant at times so I am sorry for that.

Well, here's an education for you then.

My grandfather was a member of the Ass of god since he was 20 yo and one of the most sincere, kind, gentle people I've ever met. Any xian I knew or know would have considered him an 'upstanding man of god.' While I don't believe there is any real substance to that, he did. When he died more than a thousand people attended his funeral and people I had never seen or heard of lined up to tell stories I'd never heard about kind things he had done for them and had kept to himself. For the record, if you had asked him about his beliefs I've no doubt if you are a mainstream protestant you would oblige he believed the right things. And yet, he was scared to die and hung on even as doctors had given up on him and even as he was in terrible pain.

My uncle was a pastor, and when he died several thousand people attended his funeral and it was pretty much the same story. And, like his father, when he was on his death bed he struggled and fought death even as he had lost more than half his weight to bone cancer and even as he was so wracked in pain that the morphine drip no longer worked.

These were two men who lived out their faith much longer than you and likely to a higher degree than you and yet your theory was wrong, when death came knocking they didn't have the confidence you suppose they should have. Why? I offer because there is no substance behind the belief and they and you both know it, you are just too afraid to face it.

I can only speak from my own experience, I felt more fear of death as a Christian than I do now. Now I know, back then I only hoped. What if I had committed the unforgivable sin and deserved Hell? God never gave me the sense of security I needed. Now I don't need it, since I'm certain what will happen to me and I have accepted it.

Certainty trumps hope.

Very good point! There are so many different sects, how could a christian know for sure which is the right one that will get you into heaven and keep you out of hell? This is one of the things that scares the shit out of a lot of christians, and would be something that would definitely make them afraid of death.

Thankfully, we know it's all bullshit, and while the idea of oblivion is frightening, it's much better than believing the universe is ruled by an omnipotent tyrant who will either have us suffer forever, or praise aka kiss his ass forever while quaking in terror on our knees.

Certainty trumps hope.

Very good point! There are so many different sects, how could a christian know for sure which is the right one that will get you into heaven and keep you out of hell? This is one of the things that scares the shit out of a lot of christians, and would be something that would definitely make them afraid of death.

Thankfully, we know it's all bullshit, and while the idea of oblivion is frightening, it's much better than believing the universe is ruled by an omnipotent tyrant who will either have us suffer forever, or praise aka kiss his ass forever while quaking in terror on our knees.

That's one of the interesting things about Christianity, you don't just need to faith to believe that Bible God is real. You need faith to believe that your in the one group of Christians on the planet which actually interpreted the Bible correctly, I think this is probably the reason why many Christians get all pissy about minor doctrinal issues, if their wrong about whose name/names they are supposed to baptize people into, perhaps they are wrong about the one doctrine which really, truly, matters to them. Even Jesus said that some people who seemed like good Christians wouldn't be getting into heaven. Apparently many Christians have mental break downs worrying about just this problem. Personally I don't understand how people could ever feel any real degree of safety in such a religious system.