Goodbye Jesus

Sometimes Facebook Is Like Watching

Vigile

This is why I don't have a serious account on any mega social site. Gaia online, Myspace, Facebook, etc. All of them tend to produce ridiculous amounts of drama and stupidity. My FB and Myspace are strictly so I can view images.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vigile

• Vomit Comet

• Loren

• noob

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Almost all of my 80 or so facebook friends are very conservative Christians. I have two friends who are agnostic. My family posts all of those religious copy and paste comments, I too get tired of it but I am only one among 80 people who doesn't agree so it doesn't seem worth the drama to even bother to disagree. My religion and political views are hidden on my profile too, I expect I would be attacked with comments if I were to reveal them. I guess I need to find some non religious friends in real life but that is pretty hard to do when you're a full time student and a full time mom. I'm tempted to just give up on using facebook forever....

I would like to do Facebook, but I'm worried about fundies from my past finding me and fucking with me. If I block them, they'll take that as a pretext to track me down and fuck with me over the phone, not to mention dragging my brother into it. For now I think it's best to remain invisible.

How can I get around this? How could I: 1. accept their request; 2. while making sure they don't fuck shit up.

I would like to do Facebook, but I'm worried about fundies from my past finding me and fucking with me. If I block them, they'll take that as a pretext to track me down and fuck with me over the phone, not to mention dragging my brother into it. For now I think it's best to remain invisible.

How can I get around this? How could I: 1. accept their request; 2. while making sure they don't fuck shit up.

Facebook's privacy customization has gotten much better over recent months. Here are a few things you can do:

1. If you're looking at your "News Feed" or "Status Updates" and you see that one of your friends has posted something irritating, hover your mouse over their post and click on the "Hide" button that appears on the right side. You'll never see one of their posts in your feed again and they won't ever know it because Facebook doesn't notify you in any way if anyone has hidden your status updates.

2. If you'd like to hide parts of your profile information from your friends, go to Settings > Privacy Settings > Profile Information. You can customize everything that can been seen about your profile, including your religious views and their ability to see what your friends have posted on your wall. This can be used to limit the views of individuals, lists (if you have any), and the average stalker that's been looking at your profile every day for the past two months. Again, Facebook won't notify these people of what they can't see.

3. Unfortunately, there is no way to customize who can see YOUR posts. If you're wanting to share information with some and hide it from others, the only way to do so is to communicate with them privately through either messages or the chat client. Just be sure to think before you post.

Sick, sick sick... :ugh:

Vigile,

I couldn't agree more. My sister-in-law repeats verbatim things that Sarah Palin says as Gospel, and posts them in her status as if it's some sort of new found wisdom :lmao: . Any asking questions, clarification, or criticizing her position has labeled me "Extremely disrespectful" and a "Liberal Media mouth piece" :lmao:.

I refrain as much as I can to "clutter" her comments with rationality and reason, She prefers yes-men to answer, but sometimes I just can't help myself. :blush: As someone once said here... The STUPID... IT BURNS.

My Mom posts things like

Afflictions are light when compared with what we really deserve. They are light when compared with the sufferings of the Lord Jesus. But perhaps their real lightness is best seen by comparing them with the weight of glory which is awaiting us

or

God's miracles are to be found in nature itself; the wind and waves, the wood that becomes a tree - all of these are explained biologically, but behind them is the hand of God.- Ronald Reagan

or

Awesome message at church today. I am so thankful for the freedom to worship and to share about The Lord on fb...May we never take this for granted..

It makes me want to scream and run away, far away.

Well shit, you just about got me sold! :HaHa:

3. Unfortunately, there is no way to customize who can see YOUR posts. If you're wanting to share information with some and hide it from others, the only way to do so is to communicate with them privately through either messages or the chat client. Just be sure to think before you post.

There's the rub, I guess. :scratch: I suppose I would have to limit my shit-talking and just use it to keep up with social goings-on 'round here, as well as with people from way back that I actually want to know about.

2. If you'd like to hide parts of your profile information from your friends, go to Settings > Privacy Settings > Profile Information. You can customize everything that can been seen about your profile, including your religious views and their ability to see what your friends have posted on your wall. This can be used to limit the views of individuals, lists (if you have any), and the average stalker that's been looking at your profile every day for the past two months. Again, Facebook won't notify these people of what they can't see.

How selective can I be? Can I make it so that the "friendlies" can see it while excluding the "hostiles"? If I can only make it so that nobody sees it, then what would be the point?

My Mom posts things like

--------------

It makes me want to scream and run away, far away.

I'm so sorry, I wouldn't even know how to begin respond to that.

I have old childhood Christian school/church friends that found me, from the cult Days.. I'm shocked to see nothing has changed with them, nothing!.. nata Zilch.

They are still bible thumper's acting as tho they just left Jesus Camp, and the rapture is going to happen any second. :twitch: Sending me invites to march for Jesus, work for Jesus. watch this amazing blessing... Post this in your status.. Et Al. I just hit ignore.

I'm not sure I want to "Prove" that non-believers are "evil" as they like to say, by confronting them, not real sure how I'm going to address this. I have under Religious Agnostic, it's as if they either didn't read it or didn't care???

Does anyone know, If I mark as Spam will it alert on the person that sent it, or the material itself? I so want to hit the spam button but don't want to get anyone in trouble. I'm not clear on how that works..?

How selective can I be? Can I make it so that the "friendlies" can see it while excluding the "hostiles"? If I can only make it so that nobody sees it, then what would be the point?

Well Vomit,

There's a few of us on Ex-C who post things via the Facebook Mail with the group of us. It's kept to all the "Friendlies" and none of the Hostiles can see it. Any reply you make goes to everyone on the original list. It's sorta like a PM with how ever many people you choose to send it to. There is a way around it... :)

You have the option to grant information to "friendlies" and deny information to "hostiles". If you're on the Profile Information page and you've clicked on a box for one of the different privacy options, select "Custom". It then brings up another menu that allows you to choose who gets to see or not see that information. Here's a screenshot:

post-5160-12646556379_thumb.jpg

If you play around with the settings a bit, I think you'll get the hang of it. And if you want to test what certain people will see when they visit your profile, click on "Preview My Profile..." button on the Profile Information page. Then you can type a friend's name in the box at the top of the page and the page will refresh to show you what your profile looks like to that friend. That way you'll be able to know you got it right!

As someone once said here... The STUPID... IT BURNS.

I think that was Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons, but could be wrong.

I'm shocked to see nothing has changed with them, nothing!.. nata Zilch.

That's pretty much how it is for most people I grew up with in my small town. You would think after 40 some odd years one would experience just a little personal growth.

I have old childhood Christian school/church friends that found me, from the cult Days.. I'm shocked to see nothing has changed with them, nothing!.. nata Zilch.

Yes, same here. There is a whole group of my classmates from high school that wanted to be friends with me. Some I remember their face but not much else, the rest of them I checked through the yearbook to see if their names were in there before accepting the invitation.

I have not seen almost any of them in 35 years. Most of them are Christians to a greater or lesser degree. Most of them I have found to be not intrusive with the religious statements, but I have had to block a few off my wall for preachy stuff. The stuff is just so stupid it burns, as has been said.

Some of this stuff is so juvenile. I just can't comprehend how some of these folks, all in their 50s, who seem to be otherwise well off and successful can write this stupid xian junk.

My extended family is even worse. One of my cousin's children lists himself as an "Ambassador for Christ" yuck. At least when you see stuff like that on someone's public profile you know not to invite them to be your friend.

You have the option to grant information to "friendlies" and deny information to "hostiles". If you're on the Profile Information page and you've clicked on a box for one of the different privacy options, select "Custom". It then brings up another menu that allows you to choose who gets to see or not see that information. Here's a screenshot:

Can I set this up before the hostiles show up? It might take them a while to find me, but eventually they would. I'd be adding my current real life friends off the bat, though.

Wait... *thinks* Okay, so the first hostile that comes across me sends a request and they can't see jack shit until I approve them. So, I approve them, and at the very same time I construct the Hostile List, and this first hostile to show up gets to be the first one on the list. Okay, I think I'm getting the idea. This is getting more and more feasible.

Or, just don't approve them in the first place. If you run into them later in RL just tell them you set up your FB on a whim but never use it and didn't see their request.

Or, just don't approve them in the first place. If you run into them later in RL just tell them you set up your FB on a whim but never use it and didn't see their request.

They wouldn't be able to see "Vomit Comet was last on at..." like they can with MySpace?

They wouldn't be able to see "Vomit Comet was last on at..." like they can with MySpace?

No.

Can I set this up before the hostiles show up? It might take them a while to find me, but eventually they would. I'd be adding my current real life friends off the bat, though.

Wait... *thinks* Okay, so the first hostile that comes across me sends a request and they can't see jack shit until I approve them. So, I approve them, and at the very same time I construct the Hostile List, and this first hostile to show up gets to be the first one on the list. Okay, I think I'm getting the idea. This is getting more and more feasible.

The problem with blocking hostiles as they become your friends is that you might forget to block their content before they see it (and therefore, they gain information that you don't want them to). The safer strategy would be to only allow access to your friendlies. That way, you'd just have to add more friendlies to your list as you befriend them. After all, forgetting to allow content access to your friendlies is a MUCH smaller problem that forgetting to deny content to your hostiles.

Vigile, I know exactly what you mean. I have a few friends that regularly post incredibly stupid shit. I cringe and move on. I have an aversion to confrontation, so just like I avoid the controversial threads here, I do not respond to Facebook stupidity.

I would like to point out, however, that as one of your Facebook friends, this thread title left me feeling... a little exposed! :)

:D

Don't worry noob, you're one of the good ones that makes FB worth visiting.

Thanks, Vigile! :kiss: I find I am really enjoying having my friends on this site as Facebook friends. I'm getting to the point where I feel like I know several of you better than I know some of my "meat space" friends. Or maybe it's just that I enjoy your company more!

I guess I am just tired of hiding who I am from my family. I now have a sense of relief.

Deva, I am glad that Facebook has given you an avenue to more freely express who you are. And, I am happy that it is bringing you some relief! :)

I guess I am just tired of hiding who I am from my family. I now have a sense of relief.

Deva, I am glad that Facebook has given you an avenue to more freely express who you are. And, I am happy that it is bringing you some relief! :)

Yeah, no kidding!

Speaking of which, who here has a Facebook account?

The problem with blocking hostiles as they become your friends is that you might forget to block their content before they see it (and therefore, they gain information that you don't want them to). The safer strategy would be to only allow access to your friendlies. That way, you'd just have to add more friendlies to your list as you befriend them. After all, forgetting to allow content access to your friendlies is a MUCH smaller problem that forgetting to deny content to your hostiles.

So in other words, I'd block content to EVERYBODY right off the bat and then, on a case-by-case basis, waive in the friendlies? I guess this would mean I wouldn't have to do (extra) shit with the hostiles, just accept their requests and sit back without worrying.

Hey, real quick. Facebook has an app where you can see who's been running a search on you, or who's viewing your profile. My girlfriend just came across some creepy guy that she's worried might start fucking with her. (Long story.) She changed her picture to one where she's one years old, and she knows it's possible to hide content (such as who her friends are) but she can't figure out how. She doesn't want this creepy guy figuring out it's her. Yes, the trouble is necessary to prevent this.

Speaking of which, who here has a Facebook account?

I do. I use the same name as I do here . It's a secondary account so those on my first account don't find out I've become a heretic. Quite a few of my high school friends are fundie, so it'd be disastrous if they knew.(And one of said high school friends is a minister).

Neon, if you or anyone else I haven't added wants me to, send me a friend request with a message telling me who you are on Ex-C.