Goodbye Jesus

Sometimes Facebook Is Like Watching

Vigile

I do. I use the same name as I do here . It's a secondary account so those on my first account don't find out I've become a heretic. Quite a few of my high school friends are fundie, so it'd be disastrous if they knew.(And one of said high school friends is a minister).

What would they do if they found out?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vigile

• Vomit Comet

• Loren

• noob

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have a racist cousin on FB. He used to post racist videos off Youtube on FB. My dad removed him from his friends as he couldn't take it anymore. I think it's better to stay "friends" with him and tell him I disagree, don't you think?? I do. :) ...

I think there is a reason that some relations are best kept in the basement under lock and key, and fed through a slot under the door.

Quite a few of my high school friends are fundie, so it'd be disastrous if they knew.(And one of said high school friends is a minister).

Why would it be disastrous? Of course you know your own situation best. It might help to know that I have friends on FB who are serious bible thumpers but who completely keep to themselves in regard to their faith. I think perhaps I make them nervous.

I have a facebook account but I regret creating it and I avoid it like the plague. (same thing happened when I joined myspace).

When I registered on FB, people from high school and even elementary school started adding me as friends and emailing me.

For some reason this just annoyed me, I guess I don't really want to be bothered by people from that long ago.

High school's over baby - time to move on.

:twitch:

With a few exceptions, I tend to only network with people I actually know and keep up with on FB. I don't care if we went to high school together if we haven't spoken in 8 years and I have no interest in reacquainting myself.

'Course, the flip side of that is linking up with people I've never physically met but actually like and keep in touch with all the time - i.e. all y'all.

I am friends with several hundred people on Facebook--the vast majority I have never had any prior interactions with--because the games. The more people backing you up makes your character stronger. Because of this exposure, I don't put too much information about myself on my Facebook page, and the only pictures I have of myself on it are stored away under "friends".

Speaking of shit, that's some relative shit I would leave for sure.

I have a very few friends on facebook. I have two relatives. I chose that venue to announce to those relatives, brother and sister, that I am a atheist. They are, of course, evangelical Christians, one fundy-leaning small church and the other arch-typical religious right conservative big church type. So now our relationship is up shit creek. They think I'm full of shit but I think their religion is shit.

What's with all this shit? Something stinks! :ugh:

This post is really shitty.

I have a bunch of fundy Xtians on my Facebook... aside from posting babble verses that are WAY out of context half te time, they don't do much. I'm pretty open about being an atheist too, or at least I was. I don't talk about it much anymore.

With a few exceptions, I tend to only network with people I actually know and keep up with on FB. I don't care if we went to high school together if we haven't spoken in 8 years and I have no interest in reacquainting myself.

'Course, the flip side of that is linking up with people I've never physically met but actually like and keep in touch with all the time - i.e. all y'all.

It's been 25 years since I was in HS. I've had quite a few of them add me, which I don't mind, but we end up having nothing in common. A lot of them I don't even remember.

I create an account every once in a while just to show all my christian school classmates that im an atheist and their god can suck my cock.

Speaking of which, who here has a Facebook account?

I do. I tried following something linked to a Facebook page and found I couldn't view content without having an account. I registered, giving pretty close to zero personal information.

I had one phone conversation with my mother since she gained access to my Facebook page where my religious views are very plainly stated. She mentioned how she enjoyed my photographs of my plants, and that was all. That was very much a relief and I suppose my parents do not intend to make religion an issue.

I was so glad to see that at Christmas I was not sent a gospel tract.

People should just be aware that others who are not friends can gain access to your information if "friends" show it to them.

Right now I have gotten into playing some of the Facebook games. They are fun but also very addictive and time consuming.

I dumped all the fuckers who preach their religious shit on FB.

Quote James Dobson? DELETE!

Put Byebull verses in your status? DELETE!

Talk shit about any lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans or genderqueer person? DELETE!

Don't need that shit. Yeah it stinks.

Right now I have gotten into playing some of the Facebook games. They are fun but also very addictive and time consuming.

That is the whole reason why I spend so much time on Facebook. I check in every now and then on the home page to see how people are doing, but I spend the vast majority of my time playing the games.

I'm addicted to FB. I can't help it. I very ashamed. I would check my games first thing each morning, but buy the grays of Jeebus I am down to just one game now.

I expect to see a FB episode of Intervention.

and I hope I'm the subject.

I do. I use the same name as I do here . It's a secondary account so those on my first account don't find out I've become a heretic. Quite a few of my high school friends are fundie, so it'd be disastrous if they knew.(And one of said high school friends is a minister).

What would they do if they found out?

Well, maybe disastrous is the wrong word to use. A few of them know I haven't gone to church in 23 years. What concerns me, is that if they find out I don't believe in Jesus anymore, I might get a lot of wall posts and pms witnessing to me to get me back into the fold. Main reason though, is I don't want my folks to know especially mom. She's 80 and it'd break her heart and she'd be terrified I was hellbound.

It's been 25 years since I was in HS. I've had quite a few of them add me, which I don't mind, but we end up having nothing in common. A lot of them I don't even remember.

I know what you mean Vigil. I was on pretty good terms with most of the people I knew in high school, but the majority of them have gotten married and had kids, and I haven't done any of that. So I also feel like even though I miss talking to them, they may have changed to much for me to have anything in common with them.

This is a little convoluted, so bear with me. I don’t live with or speak to my husband, but he has a son that I really like and we keep in touch. My stepson married a very nice woman three years ago who has a daughter. I guess this would make her my step-granddaughter??? Anyway, she’s a sweet girl who just turned 13 last month. The few times we’ve been able to visit (they live in Tennessee), I’ve enjoyed her company. Last week she found me on Facebook and we became friends.

My stepson and I have had many conversations through the years about religion. In fact, when I was still a Christian, I spent some time trying to convince him to believe. He was probably pretty relieved when I told him I no longer believed in god! I saw him last year in June and he told me that his wife was a pretty strong believer and that she wasn’t open to discussing the possibility that she might be wrong.

That brings me to the series of status postings made by my step-granddaughter last week. For some reason, I found these messages pretty shocking. Is this “normal” for your typical brainwashed in the blood kid? Even though I went to church three times a week when I was her age, I was never excited about it. (Well, I was when I had a boyfriend that attended the same church!) I don’t want to block her but for some reason, I find these posts disturbing. Am I over reacting? (Yes, Loren and Woody – she shares my obnoxious habit of excessive punctuation!!!)

Monday 9:14pm

can't wait til wednesday!!!!!!! get to see my church family and learn something new about God! :):):)

Tuesday 7:23pm

if you deny me in front of men, I will deny you in front of my Father

Tuesday 7:53pm

blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. matthew 5:11

Tuesday 8:13pm

can not wait to go to ridgeview baptist tomorrow!!!!! yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yesterday 4:11pm

yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i get to go to church!!!!!!!!!!! yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I find these posts disturbing.

It's sad, but what would be disturbing would be if she said, "I can't Wait to see my Maker!!!!!!!!!!!"

Is this “normal” for your typical brainwashed in the blood kid? Even though I went to church three times a week when I was her age, I was never excited about it.

Very strange. This reminds me of Jesus Camp. I don't recall anyone being this fired up for church at that age. I used to fake illness to get out of going when I thought I could get away with it.

It's not too strange to me. Half the kids at the Vineyard youth group were exactly like that. I remember admiring that attitude deeply when I was yet a Christian teen. Now I barf.

It's not too strange to me. Half the kids at the Vineyard youth group were exactly like that. I remember admiring that attitude deeply when I was yet a Christian teen. Now I barf.

In your estimation, what caused it? Is it the new marketing strategies, like playing rock music at church?

Even though I went to church three times a week when I was her age, I was never excited about it. (Well, I was when I had a boyfriend that attended the same church!)

Are you sure that "I can't wait to learn about God" isn't secret code for she can't wait to learn about that boy at church she secretly likes?

In your estimation, what caused it? Is it the new marketing strategies, like playing rock music at church?

Yeah, I guess it boiled down to that. Their youth group band kicked about as much ass as a youth group band possibly could, and there were several local Christian "pop punk" bands with some following (this was the late 90s) that were based out of that group. It had a mixture of Blink 182 types, hippies, and (xxxian) hardcore kids, so it had a veneer of "cool", if not subcultural credibility (by the standards of my ho-hum Southern California suburb). The youth pastor was young and hip in your late 90s SoCal surfer/snowboarder kind of way (shaved head with those late 90s bug-eyed sunglasses); in hindsight, if I would have found out he'd been banging several of the hotter female members, I wouldn't have been too terribly surprised.

Well, that, and they had an overabundance of obnoxiously peppy, sunny, seize-life-by-the-horns personality types who were very excited and unabashed about the whole thing. The slacker kids hanging in the background were probably overshadowed by these types, so the youth group on its surface appeared to be exceptionally dynamic. They kind of put the "charisma" in "Charismatic."