Goodbye Jesus

Chjristians:what Do You Consider A Sin?

Tabula Rasa

So here's the deal: list what you consider to be a sin or sinful and the reason you believe so. Please try to avoid what most people religious or non religious would consider a moral crime like murder or rape.(Also try to avoid invoking the ten commandments. Explain why you think certain actions are sins)

To get things started, I'll list a few.

Dancing: The old southern baptists considered this a sin. Why would it be?

Premarital sex.

Drinking alcohol.

There you go. Please give your answers to the ones I've listed, and provide your own list of things and activities you would consider to be sinful and why.

violent anger, greed, lieing, manipulation, willful ignorence, vain pride, ...

i guess i interpret sin as a sour state of mind through which we give in to the reactionary impulses to hate, murder, control, and maim the freedom of others.

btw i quantified anger, pride, and ignorance as people tend to feel righteously justified when they have them, and wont be talked down to a better way. But some spirtaul teachers of yore taught against all forms of anger as a human poison, and the others as human prisions.

izm

Anything not of a "true religion", I'm speaking biblically here (ref. James 1:27).

So here's the deal: list what you consider to be a sin or sinful and the reason you believe so. Please try to avoid what most people religious or non religious would consider a moral crime like murder or rape.(Also try to avoid invoking the ten commandments. Explain why you think certain actions are sins)

To get things started, I'll list a few.

Dancing: The old southern baptists considered this a sin. Why would it be?

Premarital sex.

Drinking alcohol.

There you go. Please give your answers to the ones I've listed, and provide your own list of things and activities you would consider to be sinful and why.

Tab! Another Christian answer thread :grin: Your okay in my book, I don't care what Hans says about you :wicked:

I probably ain't the right person to answer this topic Tab :lol:

I think I would give the opposite, what sins I don't consider sins.

I don't know about which sin I consider sin, or why. I have a simple way of life around those constraints. Mostly the Golden rule, some other philosophies interworked.

The Jerusalem decree says just a few things for Gentiles to abstain from, yet, over a 2000 year span, it has evolved into Gentiles following Jewish traditions in a sense, or expounded teachings of Christ.

I believe sin is overrated and to highly thought about. Just my opinion. Example, their are churches that hold up sin as the example you gave, and probably could write 50 page rebuttals for it.

But, to me, there is to much gray area within cultures and civilization to penpoint sin to specific things.

Example, multiple wives. Illegal here, legal in other countries. Paul said have one wife, Jesus said basically that it doesn't matter, and the OT God was cool with any amount of wives along as you didn't commit adultery on them. Oh yeah, and Christ said on top of that the only reason God let Moses give divorcement was because we were hard hearted!

Sin I think is personal to the belief and life.

Homosexuality?

Masturbation?

Bestiality?

Adultery?

Only the last violates the Golden Rule.

Sins are just things that a given culture decides are out of its own societal norms. When something becomes more common and accepted it ceases to be considered a sin. Unless the culture finds it icky. Which is why xtians have no problem wearing garments of two different fabrics but still see homosexuality as a sin so grave that not only do they shun any of their own whom are gay, but try to keep all gay people from having rights.

post-6273-126455993279_thumb.jpg

I'm no longer a Christian, but I heard this over and over in sermons, Sunday School lessons and seminary lectures:

"Sin is anything that displeases GAWWWD."

"Sin is violating GAWWWD's commandments."

"Sin is missing the mark (hamartia)."

The individual application is fluid and plastic. Firm sounding enough to uphold the authority of the presumptive ecclesiastical body in question, but squishy enough for Christians to equivocate when pressed.

Perfect inexact fodder for Christian rule-making.

Bestiality?

I'm not sure that the sheep is always in the mood. Maybe I'm justs old-fashioned.

Guest Valkyrie0010

Anything of the flesh generally. I can only thing of one exception, convulsed in its own right by the bible, and thats love.

I would go as far as to say whatever that doesn't make us a repressed backwards petulant humans.

Pretty much anything could be considered a sin. I think some sects believed that any activity not directed to the glory of god was a sin.

Homosexuality?

Masturbation?

Bestiality?

Adultery?

Talking about sin treads a thin line between edification and potential judgments being condoned. I try not to get into those things. I could say what the Bible basically says about those things, but even that in itself can become manifested into some form of judgment.

Not to mention, as in my original example, that the Bible speaks different views on certain statutes, sin etc depending on the time of the written work, and the writer.

What do you want me to say shyone?

Homosexuality?

Masturbation?

Bestiality?

Adultery?

Talking about sin treads a thin line between edification and potential judgments being condoned. I try not to get into those things. I could say what the Bible basically says about those things, but even that in itself can become manifested into some form of judgment.

Not to mention, as in my original example, that the Bible speaks different views on certain statutes, sin etc depending on the time of the written work, and the writer.

What do you want me to say shyone?

I don't know. I'd say that your observation is generally correct, and I agree that "the Bible speaks different views on certain statutes, sin etc depending on the time of the written work, and the writer."

I wonder why that is the case. My assessment is that society determines what is "acceptable" behavior and "unacceptable" behavior, even for major problems like how to treat captured enemies and slavery.

I'm not a sociologist, so I can't speak to the why of it. I surmized, however, that it is people determining what is right or wrong as society changes and not a god that changes its mind in accordance with what society determines.

It has been my experience, with my relatives, any emotion, except for joy/happiness/alike [for the Lord, of course] is a sin. One MUST keep a stiff upper lip, even in hard times or a death of a loved one. Crying and anger are most taboo.

Add to that, one must not curse/swear, say God/Lord/Jesus/etc unless in praise of Him, and no strong language what so ever is also a sin.

Sex out of marriage is a sin also.

Smoking and drinking are sins too.

Dancing, make-up, and jewelry are OK, with some exceptions. Tattoos are sinful though.

Science, or education in general, that is not in keeping with the Bible is a BIG no-no and sinful, because it can cause you to "lose your faith".

Anything that is not within keeping with being "the perfect Xian" is a sin. One must be perfect in the eyes of God/Jesus or they have backslid and must rededicate their life to the Lord again or they are living in sin.

That pretty much covers everything.

Oh I forgot- homosexuality and abortion are sins too.

I now recall that before I got baptized I had to explain what sin was. This is the answer I was taught:

Sin is disobeying a command of God.

Sin is not fulfilling the plan of Salvation.

Sin is what goes against your conscience.

This covers a lot of ground.

Farting in the presence of a a woman is a sin according to my mother who could let her own leak out without a sound.