Goodbye Jesus

Ex Christians Who Suffer(Ed) From Disorders

ReneeRadical!

I have social anxiety, too. I was diagnosed with it when I was 16, along with Asperger syndrome, which I'm not completely convinced that I actually have. I'm prone to dealing with bouts of depression, extreme anxiety, and social isolation, which last for anywhere from weeks to months at a time. Social anxiety with depression sucks because not only do you feel depressed, talking about it with other people makes you feel anxious, so you end up trying to suck it up and deal with it on your own. I spent a large chunk of my adolescent years dealing with suicidal thoughts on my own without telling anyone or seeking any type of help whatsoever, mostly because I had friends who were also suicidal and ended up in psych wards for either telling other people or trying to take matters into their own hands. I never attempted suicide, though, and it wasn't until recently that I sought psychiatric treatment for my depression and social anxiety. (I suspect that I also have Generalized Anxiety Disorder, but because both disorders have the same treatment, my therapist only officially diagnosed me with SAD. She doesn't really focus on the label except in matters of insurance coverage). I'm on anti-depressants, which help, and I'm developing coping mechanisms to deal with anxiety and other negative feelings.

I've got to go to the hospital now, the wife is going to have a baby today. They will induce labor when a room comes available. More anxiety :twitch:

Hey, congrats! :beer:

Thanks, she had a healthy 10lb 15oz boy. I can only hope he grows up to be a good social atheist. :beer::68:

Surprisingly my anxiety wasn't bad. Maybe the meds are working. :shrug:

I've been generally "depressed" since I was a teenager, though during my senior year of college my mood was all over the place and lead me to seek treatment for a few months. My diagnosis was Depressive Disorder NOS because, like I said, my mood was all over the place at the time. I've since basically settled into dysthymia, though I typically have a hypomanic episode a couple times per year.

The last year has been particularly rough but I'm resisting going back on medication because, the last time, side-effects were almost as bad as the disease...

I've been generally "depressed" since I was a teenager, though during my senior year of college my mood was all over the place and lead me to seek treatment for a few months. My diagnosis was Depressive Disorder NOS because, like I said, my mood was all over the place at the time. I've since basically settled into dysthymia, though I typically have a hypomanic episode a couple times per year.

The last year has been particularly rough but I'm resisting going back on medication because, the last time, side-effects were almost as bad as the disease...

Check out the cover article on anti-depressants in the February 8th edition of Newsweek....

I was reading a book that said that introverts far outnumber extraverts. Either way it's perfectly normal to be who we are. I hated the social stuff at church. Walking in on a sunday morning was torture. I would just wander around, or pretend to read my bulletin over and over. And, there were a bunch of us who would be doing the same thing! Shy people would come in late and leave early. If I didn't have such outgoing kids, I would have done the same! Hated the whole scene! Maybe those of us who suffer from depression or some other chemical imbalance, came to god out of the strong guilt we have, wanting to please, aware of our imperfections, or a desire for god to "heal" us. Because we didn't get "healed" in spite of our numerous prayers and pleas to god, we were able to see through the farce quicker than some of our more outgoing xtian church members. I also tend to believe those of us who struggle with these brain chemical disorders are more sensitive and inquisitive by nature. Natural questioners. Since I didn't go to church or stay because of a need for social contacts, it was no loss when I left. I wasn't looking for a social club, but a place to do ministry. To connect with people with like minded interests. Didn't happen. Alot of shallow people in church.

I think the comment about alot of people with "issues" on this site is a bit unfair. Since we as introverts are well, introverts, it's hard to meet each other and have the kind of discussions that are available on this site. I'm not really interested in all that social empty talk. This book described us to a T!

Check out the cover article on anti-depressants in the February 8th edition of Newsweek....

Yeah, I saw an article about that but completely forgot about it until you reminded me.

When I was seeing a therapist (sping-summer of '01) I resisted medication for a long time but eventually started taking an SSRI (paxil). I remember that I started feeling better, but there was a lot of positive things changing in my life at the time, too. Probably one of the biggest things that influenced my mood was just the sensation that I had a reason to hope for the future, which taking medication affirmed by giving me the impression that I was at least making small steps towards 'getting better'. Definitely the placebo effect, there, but at least I was feeling less depressed.