Goodbye Jesus

Feel So Wonderfully Free!

kazza

Since de-converting i feel such a sense of freedom and huge relief and i feel so evangelical about it!!!

All my family are very christian and i look at them now, particluarly my younger cousins (especially one who i can see is struggling similar to the way i did) and i feel like i'm bursting to tell them all that i have found out so that they dont have to go through the years of christian torture that i went through, i dont because my aunty and uncle would probably never speak to me again and i am quite close to them in many ways.

I would love to tell my mum, it would be such a relief - mum i'm freeeeeee!!!! But she is so commited to god etc she would be devastated - her one and only wish for my life is that i would always 'walk close to the lord'. So despite all these bursting feelings i've largely kept it to myself, my husband and the few friends i can trust or who arent christians anyway. I want to tell my mum i dont believe because everytime she starts talking about god stuff i am just cringing so much and going hmmmm, arrrr, like i agree or something - i'm an honest person - too honest and its so hard not to blurt out that i dont believe but i dont want to devastate her, but at the same time i want her to clearly know that i do not believe - i dont want to dress it up as 'oh i'm exploring my doubts' or whatever cos that gives her an open field for evangelising me - giving me sermons on cd etc....

Anyone else felt like this and how did you handle it?

• Super Moderator

If you can't "tell" then you're not really free.

I sent my family an email, mostly because I'm not very good with my words when confronted, but also because it's a little less intrusive. Plus, the words are there for them to read over again if needed. If you talk to them, they will most likely not listen. I did follow up with phone calls later to give them time to let it sink in. Good luck with it! It's like I said to one of my family members..."I imagine this is what it's like for a gay/lesbian to come out to family". It certainly isn't easy, but it is liberating!

Since de-converting i feel such a sense of freedom and huge relief and i feel so evangelical about it!!!

I had (and still have) the same feeling.

'If you can't "tell" then you're not really free.'

maybe thats why it bothers me so much!!! Its the last little step to feel truly liberated or something!

I guess i'm gonna have to say something soon - i will just keep it very short and sweet with my mum, if there is any glitch in my armour she will bible bash me forever more so it needs to be clear i've made my decision etc

'I had (and still have) the same feeling.'

How far do you take it? I'm worried about offending people and losing friends etc but at the same time i feel so sorry for them tangled in all that crap and obligations etc, particularly when its people i really care about and can see then struggling. I lent "Godless' by dan barker and leant it to a chrisitian friend to see what she thought about it - we can go a few months without contacting each other and then meet up but this time i've tried to contact her via email and have had no response and i'm worried she was really offended and now doesnt want to know me or something....Also i'm so worried about my cousin and i have said some stuff to her about my disbelief but only lightly as i dont want her parents to blame me or whatever. Everything seems so obvious to me know i am out of that mindset but i try and think about how i would have felt about someone like me and what i've got to say, when i was in the christian mindset - but somehow it is difficult - maybe i cant even bear pretending to take on that mindset again!!

In my case it was mostly done through email. My mom would constantly send me those rubbish christian chain mails. I eventually started replying back with snarky comments and refutations of my ex-faith. She was pretty shocked the first few times then I just flat out told them that i no longer was a believer. It has been a battle ever since.

• Super Moderator
I'm worried about offending people and losing friends etc

Any friends I lost were not really friends at all, but merely 'brothers/sisters in Christ' who are only interested in people who share their superstitions.

As I've replied in dozens of similar posts, why worry about offending people who don't mind offending you? You have come to a different conclusion and hold different opinions than they do, that's all. I am disappointed in people who refuse to think for themselves but that is their right and I don't try to change them. I demand the same consideration for my position. They are not ashamed to proclaim their belief and I am not ashamed of being rational.

Others should worry about offending me with their small minded and arrogant views, but they don't. I am perfectly willing to let them think as they choose but they feel obliged to try to change my mind. I refuse to cower in fear that some religious person might reject me because I disagree with them. They do not hold the superior and correct position to which all must be measured.

That was very well said florduh, now how can a little miss sensitive like me apply it to my life too?! :0) Think i will have to develop a tougher skin!!

• Super Moderator

That was very well said florduh, now how can a little miss sensitive like me apply it to my life too?! :0) Think i will have to develop a tougher skin!!

Assertiveness Training? :HaHa:

• Super Moderator

I was a 'little miss sensitive" too in my younger years (still am in some ways). Knowledge is power. For me, getting the facts about xtianity and all religions helped me gain the confidence I needed to be able to completely accept myself, including my lack of belief in any gods. I came to the conclusion that my position was more valid than theirs of believing in some ancient myth. That was freedom.

I went through a time when I would try to argue/debate/convince xtians and show them all the time and effort I put into learning about xtianity -- much more effort and study than they ever did. But they don't care about that -- they have their faith (i.e. willful ignorance). I got tired of beating my head against a brick wall. I guess I finally just got to the point of "fuck 'em". That was complete freedom.

Every now and then, I'll still encounter a True ChristianTM pitbull who won't let the subject drop. Those xtians are usually the type who say morality is impossible without god. My standard fuck-off reply to them is "If your beliefs keep you from being a serial killer, for the sake of society, by all means stick with it. Most of us don't have that problem." End of discussion.

• Super Moderator
"If your beliefs keep you from being a serial killer, for the sake of society, by all means stick with it. Most of us don't have that problem."

Nicely done!

• Super Moderator
"If your beliefs keep you from being a serial killer, for the sake of society, by all means stick with it. Most of us don't have that problem."

Nicely done!

Thanks, florduh. Most of the time I can either ignore, pity, or be entertained by xtian foolishness. But when they pull out that no god = no morality card, I still see red.