Goodbye Jesus

God Tests Us?

ContraBardus

I hear ya, so what is your explanation for the Haitian girl's reality here in the natural world?

Not to be too crude but "shit happens". Sometimes bad things happen to good people, sometimes good things happen to bad people.

Sounds kind of "Ecclesiastical."

Rain falls on the rich and poor alike? Or something like that.

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brakeman

• Abiyoyo

• Sconnor

• Shyone

I hear ya, so what is your explanation for the Haitian girl's reality here in the natural world?

Not to be too crude but "shit happens". Sometimes bad things happen to good people, sometimes good things happen to bad people.

Yes, Job figured that all out. God is nonsense.

There's something deeper there, but then my little remark wouldn't be funny.

Rain falls on the just and the unjust alike. Meaning God doesn't care.

Rain falls on the just and the unjust alike. Meaning God doesn't care.

It's amazing how God goes out of his way to appear as though he doesn't exist at all.

If there was no God, the statistics would be exactly the same.

He's good at these charades. Gotta say. Has all us 'atheists' fooled. Nice.

Actually, I was thinking "Scatalogical" but that works too...

Seriously though, I can see where the idea of stuff "just happening" can be a terrifying notion to some. "No one's at the helm!" they cry. "There's no justice!" they wail...

I hear ya, so what is your explanation for the Haitian girl's reality here in the natural world? Lovely as it seems with all the education and the do-gooding of all the righteous non-believers....oh, I see, pulled here out of the rubble in order to rape her? Yeah, let's choose that route? :twitch:

Chaos good buddy, Chaos. The world is not benign, and no one is in charge.

I noticed you ignored a legitimate response for the "justification".

:twitch: I did? Cricky enlighten me.

"There's no justice!" they wail...

Yeah. Just picture the scene at some future judgment day...

Everyone, just standing around watching everyone getting "tried" for there various "sins" against whatever and whoever and some poor schlub gets nailed for not washing his hands before eating (according to the law) or something like that. Then some other guy in the crowd shouts "Ha! I've been waiting 9300 years for this! I *knew* you didn't wash your hands. Burn you asshole!"

I mean, when people think justice they're thinking murder and shit like that, but how many people are really committing all sorts of secret murders that only a god would know about and have to judge at some point? Most people are going to be screwed for jerking off, or just thinking about jerking off. Like above, that same guy could shout "I *knew* you were thinking about fucking my sheep!" And *poof* guilty. Who the hell is going off to get the sin offering done for that? You might be "right" with some "god" but the rumors that you lust for animals would be much worse. I think most people would take their chances.

Are we to even believe that these long dead people are essentially in a sort of "suspended animation" so that their crimes are basically festering all this time? That "god," in the name of "justice," will bring with these people all these long, long, long forgotten issues that went with them into their graves? I don't even know if anyone would care that someone murdered them thousands of years ago especially if they're now magically alive and things are all okay. If I were killed and magically alive again the trauma of the event would be the only problem and if that could be magically addressed as well then I don't think I would care especially if I knew that it wasn't going to happen again. I don't think I'd hang onto that grudge for thousands of years for some strange "trial" to take place. Much less if someone had impure "thoughts" about me or whatever.

mwc

Kathlene, Abiyoyo, or End,

You three claim to be christians, so can any of you three pass the "proofs" of christianity? Can you drink poison and not die? Can you be bitten by Vipers and survive? Can you prophesize? Can you give us any examples of any miracles you personally have performed with your mustard seed of faith?

Yes, the topic is " does god test us?", but the bible seems to say that christians may need to be tested for their veracity, to keep from following false teachers. So are you guys going to drink Draino or tell us what next month's powerball is gonna be?

Or are you simply powerless believers?

Wouldn't be like a fisherman that goes to sea every day but never brings along any of the tools of the trade, a net, hooks, a rod? Didn't Paul exhort christians to use their magical faith?

(yeah, I know that prophesy thing probably wouldn't be for gambling, but I mean something meaningful and that wouldn't fail a simple statistical analysis.)

Yes. Powerless in that degree. Does that make me not a TrueTM Christian? As the Zen master says, 'We'll see".

Where in the Bible does it point to any character purposely drinking a poison or letting a snake bite them purposely to prove God exists? Would that logic be considered showing a sign, or when Christ was tested by Satan saying, 'it was written' and not just revealing God as it is implied by your post here.

I do have a sign for you. I was very unhealthy, overweight, depressed, having anxiety/heartattacks, before I followed God. Now, I have lessened my stress level in life by not living every second revolving around the dollar, I eat healthier, have lost weight, and rarely have an attack because of the fact that I am not always on the go at a job, trying to make that dollar, and I am not depressed anymore because I have a hope that I didn't have before.

I credit God to my change of the value of the dollar, and without Him, I count that I may have died.

Does that count?

You three claim to be christians, so can any of you three pass the "proofs" of christianity? Can you drink poison and not die? Can you be bitten by Vipers and survive? Can you prophesize? Can you give us any examples of any miracles you personally have performed with your mustard seed of faith?

Yes, the topic is " does god test us?", but the bible seems to say that christians may need to be tested for their veracity, to keep from following false teachers. So are you guys going to drink Draino or tell us what next month's powerball is gonna be?

Wouldn't be like a fisherman that goes to sea every day but never brings along any of the tools of the trade, a net, hooks, a rod? Didn't Paul exhort christians to use their magical faith?

(yeah, I know that prophesy thing probably wouldn't be for gambling, but I mean something meaningful and that wouldn't fail a simple statistical analysis.)

Sorry Brakeman, as I have already said in another thread, I am giving posting in the threads a rest for the time being. So please dont be upset if I dont answer your post.

Sorry Brakeman, as I have already said in another thread, I am giving posting in the threads a rest for the time being. So please dont be upset if I dont answer your post.

Oh, ok sure..No problem.. Hurry back soon..

Do you know of another Christian that might want to step in on the conversation?

Yes. Powerless in that degree. Does that make me not a TrueTM Christian? As the Zen master says, 'We'll see".

Where in the Bible does it point to any character purposely drinking a poison or letting a snake bite them purposely to prove God exists? Would that logic be considered showing a sign, or when Christ was tested by Satan saying, 'it was written' and not just revealing God as it is implied by your post here.

I credit God to my change of the value of the dollar, and without Him, I count that I may have died.

Does that count?

Just for the record, I'm afraid that I must agree with Abiyoyo's point here. Being able to perform miracles and wow the crowd was never really the criteria for Christian belief or being a follower. And sooner or later, many Christians, and likely an empathetic person like yoyo have likely helped another person or had a positive effect on someone's life due to his faith. It's impossible to determine whether a Christian is a "powerless follower" or not. Even if it just improves his own life, it's a manifestation of "power". (to him, at least)

Some of these examples given in scripture are merely "potentials", or an attempt to describe that there are no limits to what a person might accomplish through faith. "Moving a mountain" is a metaphorical teaching by Jesus, in that even the greatest of obstacles can sometimes be overcome.

Shocking, I know, coming from me, but even first century Christians were familiar with philosophical allegory especially in the Greek tradition.

But I thought those kinds of things, able to do what jesus did and more, were signs of a christ follower. Maybe I read my bible incorrectly.

And as far as drinking poison or being bitten by a snake, it doesn't say purposefully to do it. But how many Christians have died because of a poisonous snake bite, even after praying the way the bible told them? Was god testing there faith, if they lived then he still loved them because they believed really really hard? If they did, did god say 'what the hell, they didn't really believe in me that much anyway'?

A lot of us ex-christians have had an amazing turn around in our lives after leaving christianity, but we don't attribute that to the power of some deity. We realized things were bad in our lives so we took steps to change it.

Does that count?

Just for the record, I'm afraid that I must agree with Abiyoyo's point here. Being able to perform miracles and wow the crowd was never really the criteria for Christian belief or being a follower. And sooner or later, many Christians, and likely an empathetic person like yoyo have likely helped another person or had a positive effect on someone's life due to his faith. It's impossible to determine whether a Christian is a "powerless follower" or not. Even if it just improves his own life, it's a manifestation of "power". (to him, at least)

Some of these examples given in scripture are merely "potentials", or an attempt to describe that there are no limits to what a person might accomplish through faith. "Moving a mountain" is a metaphorical teaching by Jesus, in that even the greatest of obstacles can sometimes be overcome.

Shocking, I know, coming from me, but even first century Christians were familiar with philosophical allegory especially in the Greek tradition.

Is it really much of a point to say I can't but the others can't either? Why is it in the bible that they could? How could the statements have been allegorical?

What about the ability and exhortations to Prophesy? Plenty of examples there..

Is it really much of a point to say I can't but the others can't either? Why is it in the bible that they could? How could the statements have been allegorical?

What about the ability and exhortations to Prophesy? Plenty of examples there..

The fundy explanation is that you are supposed to prophecy abut the coming of the Lard, don't you see.

The "prophecies" I heard in Fundyville were all very vague, generalized, and paraphrased regurgitation of babble prophecies. The assembled unwashed ate 'em up like fried chicken at a Wednesday night fellowship dinner.

It's pretty clear that what was said and done wasn't what was meant:

Matthew 21

18 In the morning, as he was returning to the city, he was hungry

19 And seeing a fig tree by the wayside he went to it, and found nothing on it but leaves only. And he said to it, "May no fruit ever come from you again!" And the fig tree withered at once.

20 When the disciples saw it they marveled, saying, "How did the fig tree wither at once?" 21 And Jesus answered them, "Truly, I say to you, if you have faith and never doubt, you will not only do what has been done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, 'Be taken up and cast into the sea,' it will be done. 22 And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith."

Mark 11

12 On the following day, when they came from Bethany, he was hungry. 13 And seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to see if he could find anything on it. When he came to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs. 14 And he said to it, "May no one ever eat fruit from you again." And his disciples heard it.

20 As they passed by in the morning, they saw the fig tree withered away to its roots. 21 And Peter remembered and said to him, "Master, look! The fig tree which you cursed has withered." 22 And Jesus answered them, "Have faith in God.

23 Truly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, 'Be taken up and cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says will come to pass, it will be done for him. 24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. 25 And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against any one; so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses."

So the lesson, metaphor aside, that if you believe that you will get what you pray for, is moot? Of course not. It is the point. So if we choose to ignore the primary examples of the fig tree and the mountain then we have to assume that they are stand-ins for things that would be considered outrageous things for a person to pray for and yet be able to receive on account of faith. They already had the "gifts" of healing and casting out demons so these should be excluded from the list. We should also consider that killing a fig tree (a huge tree), while an accomplishment, was seen as a lessor event compared to moving mountains so those that followed after would be capable of grander examples not lessor or none at all.

So if the killing of fig trees and the moving of mountains are merely metaphorical examples then what would be included in the list of items that a person might pray for, if they have faith, and they will (without question) get from "god?" Nothing is qualified in this section so it is convenience itself which imposes the metaphorical limit on the text. To excuse all "believers" from not being able to produce any such abilities even though they are specifically mentioned. Even when a "believer" prays for "gifts" along the lines of those presented by Paul (or in the Acts...places where "gifts" are mentioned) there are zero examples of anyone getting any such gifts that would be on the level of moving a mountain much less killing a fig tree.

Literal or not this is a failure. The simple "fact" that "jesus" is considered the top of the heap in the miracle department (with Peter or Paul coming up pretty close depending on how these things get measured) means this is all a big epic fail. The apologetics from any century just need a reason to explain it all. Coincidence, on the other hand, is working pretty hard to help bolster a lot of people's faith in light of these verses.

mwc

Kathlene said: "Every one of us has a choice in life on how to react to anything that goes on around us. We can choose to get angry and bitter, or turn towards God to find comfort and healing." What an asinine statement. I'm surprised no one else called you on this blatant false dichotomy. Many people do neither. Many people do just fine by turning to their friends, finding a good doctor, just sucking it up or finding some way to just move on or start over, all of which are more effective than the two weak choices you give.

Abiyoyo said he solved his problems by turning to God, but i found it much more effective to solve some of the same problems by quitting my stressful job and taking one that paid less but i liked much better, getting an operation to fix my leg, learning how to eat better and playing more music--all without the help of an imaginary friend that talks to me in a voice no one else hears. Since then i have had no more anxiety attacks, my leg has been just fine and i have gathered a large circle of musician friends. To tell the truth, i am glad that you think an invisible entity for which there is no concrete proof was able to help you, but don't expect anyone else to believe it!

• 2 weeks later...

"Let's put this into perspective. What's the point of a test exactly?"

That question was answered when the writer wrote " Testing serves no other purpose than to gather information and supply results."

However, this part of the article is totally wrong :" What is it he does not know that he's discovering through this testing exactly?

If he doesn't know something, that means he's not omnipotent or all knowing." etc.

The purpose of the tests is not for God's knowledge, it's for the benefit of His creatures.

God is on trial. You see, when sin came about it was something new in the universe. Sin is anything outside the context of God's will because God alone is omniscient and also because He is love.

Sin came about when one of the crowning acts of God's creatures became narcissistic; wow look what happened when God created a being that was super beautiful, super powerful and super intelligent? [see Ez.28:12-17;Isa.14:12-14 That narcissist tried to usurp God's throne. He even acquired some disciples, 1/3 of the heavenly angels actually [see Rev.12:4]. There was war in heaven [see Rev.12:7-9], that war was a war of words or polemics. Those devils did not play fair, they seemingly had an advantage because they lied and God cannot lie because Omnipotence comes with certain inherent limitations and lying is one of them, dying and being deceived are the other two limitations.

So, those devils were breaking God's commandments left and right and trying to entice others to follow suit. Sinful beings tend to view God as arbitrary. They eventually got booted out of heaven [see Luke10:18] and were cast down to this earth. Satan enticed Eve and she capitulated and so did Adam and thus Adam forfeited his sovereignty -- which was subordinate to God-- of this world to the devil [see Gen.3:1-7].

God had to allow Adam and Eve to be tested because since sin already existed in the universe and a Holy God CANNOT abide with sin, He had to give them a choice to see if they loved Him and would want to live with Him and therefore obey Him forever or if they did not love/trust Him and did not want to live with Him forever. They chose death :( but God being LOVE came up with a plan to give them another chance to inherit eternal life; Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

and John 3:16 says " 16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Before sin, mankind was naturally self-less just like God, but after sin man became selfish just like the devils. Their hearts became deceitful and desperately wicked,Jer.17:9 "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?"

Jeremiah asked "who can know it?" God knows but created beings with finite knowledge won't understand how damaging sin can be;Jeremiah 17:10 (NKJ Version) I, the LORD, search the heart, I test the mind, Even to give every man according to his ways, According to the fruit of his doings."

So God had to design it that sin would leave footprints, by making tests. BTW, all humans fail these tests at some point or the other and some fail more than others and Jesus was the only one that did not fail. Look at this, God knew that Cain had anger problems and a covetous spirit as well as a # of other sins and that test exposed what was really happening in Cain's heart. God even tried to warn him about sin lying at his door, Gen.4:7. 7If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. ..." Cain probably did not think he would be capable of murder but by doing what was right in his own eyes he became more and more rebellious and he ended up killing his own brother.

Impotent humans tend to rationalize a lot in order to gratify their selfish desires and tests expose hypocrisy and the tests --which could entail God allowing Satan to tempt us [see the book of Job, Jesus Himself had to be tested see Matthew 4:1-11] -- are supposed to function as a way of developing and/or displaying our faith. God wants his creatures to explicitly obey Him, when he administers these tests it's to see who is going to give their ultimate allegiance to Him.

Another example, God told Abraham that the Messiah would come through his lineage but God tested Abraham's faith and trust in Him by letting Abraham wait and by letting Abraham's wife be seemingly barren. Abraham relied on his own finite wisdom and had a child with the maid. God did not accept this child of works as the one the Messiah would stem from and God taught them patience by letting them wait until Abraham was old and impotent and his wife was post menopausal to allow that promise to be fulfilled. Abraham relied on his own finite wisdom and because of it, even after thousands of years, there's continual wars in the middle east between the Muslims and Jews. He should have listened to God.

These passages sum up the purpose for tests quite nicely Deut.13:3-4 "... The LORD your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and with all your soul. 4 It is the LORD your God you must follow, and him you must revere. Keep his commands and obey him; serve him and hold fast to him. "

I've got to say, Thumbelina, that is the biggest font I have ever seen. Large letters will make the point better?

I've got to say, Thumbelina, that is the biggest font I have ever seen. Large letters will make the point better?

Sorry, the font is stuck on the largest size and for some reason it won't get smaller.

Sorry, the font is stuck on the largest size and for some reason it won't get smaller.

Let me post what you wrote in smaller font:

"Let's put this into perspective. What's the point of a test exactly?"

That question was answered when the writer wrote " Testing serves no other purpose than to gather information and supply results."

However, this part of the article is totally wrong :" What is it he does not know that he's discovering through this testing exactly?

If he doesn't know something, that means he's not omnipotent or all knowing." etc.

The purpose of the tests is not for God's knowledge, it's for the benefit of His creatures.

God is on trial. You see, when sin came about it was something new in the universe. Sin is anything outside the context of God's will because God alone is omniscient and also because He is love.

Sin came about when one of the crowning acts of God's creatures became narcissistic; wow look what happened when God created a being that was super beautiful, super powerful and super intelligent? [see Ez.28:12-17;Isa.14:12-14 That narcissist tried to usurp God's throne. He even acquired some disciples, 1/3 of the heavenly angels actually [see Rev.12:4]. There was war in heaven [see Rev.12:7-9], that war was a war of words or polemics. Those devils did not play fair, they seemingly had an advantage because they lied and God cannot lie because Omnipotence comes with certain inherent limitations and lying is one of them, dying and being deceived are the other two limitations.

So, those devils were breaking God's commandments left and right and trying to entice others to follow suit. Sinful beings tend to view God as arbitrary. They eventually got booted out of heaven [see Luke10:18] and were cast down to this earth. Satan enticed Eve and she capitulated and so did Adam and thus Adam forfeited his sovereignty -- which was subordinate to God-- of this world to the devil [see Gen.3:1-7].

God had to allow Adam and Eve to be tested because since sin already existed in the universe and a Holy God CANNOT abide with sin, He had to give them a choice to see if they loved Him and would want to live with Him and therefore obey Him forever or if they did not love/trust Him and did not want to live with Him forever. They chose death but God being LOVE came up with a plan to give them another chance to inherit eternal life; Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

and John 3:16 says " 16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

Before sin, mankind was naturally self-less just like God, but after sin man became selfish just like the devils. Their hearts became deceitful and desperately wicked,Jer.17:9 "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?"

Jeremiah asked "who can know it?" God knows but created beings with finite knowledge won't understand how damaging sin can be;Jeremiah 17:10 (NKJ Version) I, the LORD, search the heart, I test the mind, Even to give every man according to his ways, According to the fruit of his doings."

So God had to design it that sin would leave footprints, by making tests. BTW, all humans fail these tests at some point or the other and some fail more than others and Jesus was the only one that did not fail. Look at this, God knew that Cain had anger problems and a covetous spirit as well as a # of other sins and that test exposed what was really happening in Cain's heart. God even tried to warn him about sin lying at his door, Gen.4:7. 7If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. ..." Cain probably did not think he would be capable of murder but by doing what was right in his own eyes he became more and more rebellious and he ended up killing his own brother.

Impotent humans tend to rationalize a lot in order to gratify their selfish desires and tests expose hypocrisy and the tests --which could entail God allowing Satan to tempt us [see the book of Job, Jesus Himself had to be tested see Matthew 4:1-11] -- are supposed to function as a way of developing and/or displaying our faith. God wants his creatures to explicitly obey Him, when he administers these tests it's to see who is going to give their ultimate allegiance to Him.

Another example, God told Abraham that the Messiah would come through his lineage but God tested Abraham's faith and trust in Him by letting Abraham wait and by letting Abraham's wife be seemingly barren. Abraham relied on his own finite wisdom and had a child with the maid. God did not accept this child of works as the one the Messiah would stem from and God taught them patience by letting them wait until Abraham was old and impotent and his wife was post menopausal to allow that promise to be fulfilled. Abraham relied on his own finite wisdom and because of it, even after thousands of years, there's continual wars in the middle east between the Muslims and Jews. He should have listened to God.

These passages sum up the purpose for tests quite nicely Deut.13:3-4 "... The LORD your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and with all your soul. 4 It is the LORD your God you must follow, and him you must revere. Keep his commands and obey him; serve him and hold fast to him. "

So you are suggesting that the original poster was correct: God was supposedly testing to find out something he should have already known - because he's omniscient.

So God isn't omniscient.

I knew that.

So you are suggesting that the original poster was correct: God was supposedly testing to find out something he should have already known - because he's omniscient.

So God isn't omniscient.

I knew that.

Of course God is omniscient, no one else is. We're slow,so He's letting us understand through experience what He knew all along.

Someone once said that the world is a stage and we are the actors, so true. The bible says :1 Corinthians 4:9

For I think that God hath set forth us the apostles last, as it were appointed to death: for we are made a spectacle unto the world, and to angels, and to men. In the margin in the bible spectale means theatre. Unfallen beings are watching us cuz we are virtual atheists.

BTW tnks for helping with the fonts :)

So God isn't omniscient.

I knew that.

Of course God is omniscient, no one else is. We're slow,so He's letting us understand through experience what He knew all along.

Someone once said that the world is a stage and we are the actors, so true. The bible says :1 Corinthians 4:9

For I think that God hath set forth us the apostles last, as it were appointed to death: for we are made a spectacle unto the world, and to angels, and to men. In the margin in the bible spectale means theatre. Unfallen beings are watching us cuz we are virtual atheists.

I meant that if he's omniscient, he wouldn't need to test us. He would omnisciently know what the test results would be.

From your reading of the bible, do you think that someone could hide from an omniscient being?

So God isn't omniscient.

I knew that.

You know that actors get to read the script -- right? Alan Watts described God as a bored fellow with not much to do but stare at nothing for 10,000 years. So God creates the world for a little drama, a little fun as it were. But this is a Hindu sort of god that plays all the parts himself, and has made himself forget that this is what he is doing.

The Hebrew God is more of a sick bastard, because he is doing it to people. Sort of like raising chickens for cock fights. "I want you to know I love you, therefore I break your nose and starve your kids. Now lets give us big hug!" Odd thing is that it works. Lots of fools give the SOB a hug.