Goodbye Jesus

True Origins Of The Religious Right

Vomit Comet

This video reminds me that a constant reeducation in and reminding oneself of history is the only way to have a rational, skeptical freethinking approach to life.

If we don't learn true history, we won't learn from it. We'll just get caught up in the socially and politically controlled jargon of the day. The agenda will be made for us, we won't make the agenda by examining the truth.

Information is our greatest weapon against dogma and theocratic pressures!

We're not going to allow homosexuals to get married because we don't want them eyeing us at our next divorce party.

I find it interesting that the catalyst which started of the religious right movement was there tax exempt status.

I find it interesting that the catalyst which started of the religious right movement was there tax exempt status.

And, of course, churches shouldn't be granted tax-exempt status anyway simply for being religious institutions. Only the few that actually perform charity actions (such as feeding and clothing those in need) should be granted tax-exempt status, and even then it should only apply to the charity portion of their functions (not the regular religious functions).

Anything beyond that is unconstitutional, in my opinion.

And, of course, churches shouldn't be granted tax-exempt status anyway simply for being religious institutions. Only the few that actually perform charity actions (such as feeding and clothing those in need) should be granted tax-exempt status, and even then it should only apply to the charity portion of their functions (not the regular religious functions).

Anything beyond that is unconstitutional, in my opinion.

I agree. I just found it interesting that the evangelicals started getting all up in arms when legislation was passed which affected or could potentially affect there income. Perhaps I'm just cynical, but I find it interesting that evangelical Christianity was perfectly happy to segregate itself, and keep it's nose right out of politics right up until its bottom line was threatened.

Which had to do with Southern Baptist private schools wanting the freedom to exclude black kids.

but I find it interesting that evangelical Christianity was perfectly happy to segregate itself, and keep it's nose right out of politics right up until its bottom line was threatened.

Seeing as how they were instrumental in the elections of Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush, particularly Bush's 2004 reelection (dirtiest politics I've ever lived to see), maybe the IRS shoulda left 'em alone.