Goodbye Jesus

Christian Atheism

Moxie

My point was that even if Plato never had a religion, his philosophy has been incorporated into religion.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dagnarus

• Neon Genesis

• Vigile

• mwc

I can't tell if Jesus was a kind philosopher or if he was a sadistic cult leader. There's simply not enough reliable information on him for me to be sure. The Gospels are written like propaganda material, so who knows what words he actually said.

Anyway, I think life is better when we study all philosophies and take what works best from each.

My point was that even if Plato never had a religion, his philosophy has been incorporated into religion.

So? What's your point?

I can't tell if Jesus was a kind philosopher or if he was a sadistic cult leader. There's simply not enough reliable information on him for me to be sure. The Gospels are written like propaganda material, so who knows what words he actually said.

When I think about this I ask myself the question. If I look at today's religious movements, and I look specifically at the ones which either deify their leader, or near deify their leader (ready to be deified within a few generations). How many of those were led by kind philosophers and how many were led by cult leaders?

Anyway, I think life is better when we study all philosophies and take what works best from each.

Which is one of the reasons why I dislike the reinvented Jesus. It still implies that Jesus was some special moral teacher which everyone should listen to. Which indirectly gives added legitimacy to fundamentalism.