Goodbye Jesus

Anti-Lent

Tabula Rasa

Alright, so then:Lent, in Christian tradition, is the period of the liturgical year leading up to Easter. The traditional purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer — through prayer, penitence, almsgiving and self-denial — for the annual commemoration during Holy Week of the Death and Resurrection of Jesus, which recalls the events linked to the Passion of Christ and culminates in Easter, the celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Since we don't believe this nonsense anymore, instead of self-denial, what vices are you going to indulge in more than ever for the next forty days?

CarreraMercedes-2-1.jpg

My lent will be to give up lent.

More beer, to answer your question.

Given that lent is nonsense, why would I do anything? Why should to what degree I indulge any particular vice be at all governed by some Christian tradition?

I've really overloaded carbs today. I'll be sorry if I keep it up for 40 days.

CHEEEZZEECAKKKKEEE!!!!!!

I need to cut down on the indulging. Been putting on some weight.

Given that lent is nonsense, why would I do anything? Why should to what degree I indulge any particular vice be at all governed by some Christian tradition?

Well, the thought I had, was to indulge more in what christians consider "vices" is a good way of extending the middle finger to the whole lot of nonsense.

I thought only Catholics do the lent thing? Anyways, I will start my morning off with a caffeine overdose off coffee and a cigarette before eating eggs and bacon. Then I will suck down nicotine supplements like candy drinking diet soda and energy drinks until dinner when I eat a nice slab of meat and wash it down with a beer. Wait a minute, I do that everyday ;)

I thought only Catholics do the lent thing?

Lutherans also "do" lent. At least the church I grew up in did.

About a week ago my mom asked me what I was going to give up for lent...which was weird because she knows I'm an atheist. I told her I was giving up self-denial. She made a funny face for some reason.

I'm wicked every day.

Sex! Although I wouldn't consider it a "vice," perhaps unlike some xians.

Just transferred to a new job at a medium sized military hospital and my new supervisor whom I would classify as a nominal catholic yet follows tradition received her ashes on her forehead yesterday. She joked her Lent was to give up hope! LOL! They made an announcement on the PA system that the chaplain was at the hospital and would dispense ashes for anyone that wanted it. As I was walking the halls in the morning I noticed a lady with a "mark" on her forehead and I briefly glanced at it thinking it was birthmark. Throughout the day I kept on seeing more staff members with these "marks"! At first I thought that was odd that another lady had a birthmark on her forehead! Then it clicked they are fucking ashes in the shape of a cross on their foreheads! Duh! I never saw that before! I just had to chuckle to myself thinking what an idiotic tradition. What the fuck is the point of having ashes smeared on your forehead anyway? Maybe to remind us non-believers of the ashes of the fire and brimstone we are going to experience? :fdevil:

Living in a catholic city, (well, "catholic", heh) Lent is kind of just accepted, though the most that anyone seems to do is the "fish friday" thing. Which I don't mind, sales on seafood, count me in! Also, it spawned the tradition of Mardi Gras before Ash Wednesday, so it's not all bad.

But, growing up, lots of Baptists seemed to get into the Lent thing as well. I told one bitchy girl at the fundie school that I gave up underwear for Lent. They finally left me alone on how "holy" I was being.

Besides, here in New Orleans, religion is everywhere, but it's not taken all that seriously, overall. And we always have a reason to party!