Goodbye Jesus

How To Get Out Of Christianity And Be Sure That You Will Never "go Back"?

tazilanigram

Hi. I am an ex-christian and I don't want ever to become a christian again.

So, I found the solution to this in the bible itself:

Matt 12:31-32: "And so I tell you, every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven. Anyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who speaks against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven, either in this age or in the age to come." (NIV)

So, if you want to be sure that you'll never be a christian again say: "Damn the Holy Spirit" or "F**k the Holy Spirit" (my favourite). Of course, better creative swearings are recommanded.

This is very usefull to get rid of an annoying christian who tries to convert you. (S)he will never try to convert you again.

I found few years ago about the Blasphemy Challange, but I think that they doesn't blasphemy the Holy Spirit in the proper way (because any person who was never christian denies trinity and holy spirit). So if you want to blaspheme the Holy Spirit properly swear about it and get rid of christianity.

Damn the Holy Spirit! Amen.

With the exception of the fact that I've seen massive gymnastics around that concept. I mean really massive. The kind that makes you realize that there can't be anyone in Scotland, since there are no true Scotsmen...

Of course you can't blaspheme something that doesn't exist, now can you?

Of course you can't blaspheme something that doesn't exist, now can you?

Most people prays to something that doesn't exist. :)

True. Saying "the holy spirit wears army boots" is comparable to saying "the pixies living in my shed wear army boots."

That the xian god(head) and therefore the hs does not exist makes Matthew 12:31-32 about as nonsensical as descriptions of the pixies in my shed.

True. Saying "the holy spirit wears army boots" is comparable to saying "the pixies living in my shed wear army boots."

That the xian god(head) and therefore the hs does not exist makes Matthew 12:31-32 about as nonsensical as descriptions of the pixies in my shed.

And yet you have a picture of the proverbial teapot as your avatar... :HaHa:

I think the pixies look smashing in army boots though!

And yet you have a picture of the proverbial teapot as your avatar... :HaHa:

...and how do you like my new avatar?

med_gallery_2272_114_20257.jpg

Indeed: from the rational point of view "Damn the Holy Spirit" is equivalent to "Damn the Tooth Fairy".

But, unfortunately, getting out of Christianity is not a black/white thing. Because in the christianity (like most/all religions) there are involved a lot of emotions (like fear, guilt, etc) and, even if you get out from the religion and you know rationally that the bible is a fairy book, some emotions may stay for a long time. You know that is false, but some congitive dissonance may stay for a long time.

So "Damn the Holy Spirit" helps for the emotional part, not for the rational part. This helps a lot because, even if you think from the christianity point of view, you know that there no "going back".

It seems like that quote could be used as evidence against the idea that the "Son of Man" and the "Holy Spirit" are the same. So much for the Trinity.

Indeed: from the rational point of view "Damn the Holy Spirit" is equivalent to "Damn the Tooth Fairy".

But, unfortunately, getting out of Christianity is not a black/white thing. Because in the christianity (like most/all religions) there are involved a lot of emotions (like fear, guilt, etc) and, even if you get out from the religion and you know rationally that the bible is a fairy book, some emotions may stay for a long time. You know that is false, but some congitive dissonance may stay for a long time.

So "Damn the Holy Spirit" helps for the emotional part, not for the rational part. This helps a lot because, even if you think from the christianity point of view, you know that there no "going back".

It does seem to be therapeutic to some, if so, good.

I found that for many years, not blaspheming the hs served as my last safety net in case I was wrong. It took me quite a long time to become a strong achristian (specifically with respect to the existence of the xian god as presented in the bible and/or the xian sects). It was sort of like a narrowly focused Pascal's wager where all I had to do was not say something like "fuck the holy spirit, that asshole," for insurance from being irrevocably damned to an eternal hell.

I don't think I've done it yet, for that matter (except for discussing/analyzing it in context), and for me, I don't see any reason to. I can't imagine saying that about the tooth fairy unless it somehow or another it made a good punch line for some heretofore unfathomed joke. I haven't even said that about the xian "god, the father," although of the three "personalities," Yahweh is by far the most bloodthirsty and vindictive. Saying it in a directed or purposeful way just seems like giving way too much credence to the meme that the xian god actually exist.

There is also the consideration (for some, not all) that going beyond the "point of no return" might be traumatic. A common theme, especially from those who have deconverted within the past couple of years, is fear of hell. I wonder if the "no going back" element might make it worse for some, even while making it better for others?

You're right: there is a lot involved, and a lot of emotions, and it's a complex thing without simple black and white or one size fits all answers.

Well, I'll chime in just for the sake of it on this topic.

A lot of the earlier posts regarded the question of how you can blaspheme something that does not exist... Well, I guess that all depends on how you define the word "exist"

The Holy Spirit does in fact exist, but in the same way that the Holy Spook exists, or perhaps i should say in the same way that the star of your favourite movie exists.

They exist as concepts. They have no physical reality, true, but they have metaphorical, symbolic and cognitive existence.

Ergo, blaspheming them does have merit.

A second argument would be that the act of blaspheming for that purpose, is to obtain the rejection of an entity that is at the same level of reality as that which is blasphemed.... For that matter, it is blaspheming something that has the same physical reality as the concept of blaspheming itself. So, if the concept of blaspheming is not arbitrarily written off for purposes other than discussion. Then the act is a valid act.

Another way of saying that is that the "concept of Christianity" which was created by man, decreed that it was the only way to be rejected without chance of re-acceptance. Then to do so, it is trivial that that same concept of christianity must reject you. And as there IS only a concept of christianity, and no physically real version, all that one needs is to be rejected by that concept.

Now... There is a bit of a conundrum within this. It would be consistently hypocritical of christianity to back-step on this threat... Therefore, given that the concept being discussed is Christianity, this last argument is effectively (even if not logically) invalid.

Well, that's just my warped sense of philosophical reasoning for ya.