Goodbye Jesus

Why Has Christianity Become A Cult

southjerseygirl36

A lot of people certainly believe in a good God and in goodness. But to Christians, all your goodness, good intentions, thoughts, prayers, actions, words, mean nothing unless you "believe in Jesus". I say I "believe in Jesus" but that I am learning the message of Jesus and will leave it to God, my salvation. They say no, you must know you are saved, say you are a Christian, and go to church. Why have they turned into all of this?

Isn't it common sense that good is good by its fruit and not because of them saying they are a Christian. Heck I know a lot of Chritians that are full of superiority and condenscenion.

Why has Chritianity come to mean you must be a Christian or go to hell. You must go to church. You must know you are saved. You must tithe. Where does that fit in with common sense. Then they will damn you if you don't fall in line with them. They sound like THEY are going to hell and are FROM hell themselves.

I mean good people aren't snobs, or superior-oriented. They don't presume to know your heart. How are you supposed to go to church when they practice and teach things that are to harm others? That's not Christ is it? Why do they want you to give up your retirement income so they can live a comfortable life? The Bible to me is a good book on common sense, and also a historical account of the Jewish religion. Why has it turned into a lack of common sense where they harm others and you cannot say you are a Christian without falling under their rigid definitions.

SouthJerseygirl:

In answer to your question, 2000 years of brainwashing,and countless sects who all think they've got the truth. Add into this, how the bible has had things changed in it innumerable times either by accident, and on purpose, and that's why it's such a mess nowadays.

Also, christians can be notorious for interpreting or distorting bible verses to support their opinions.

A book you may want to check out is Bart Ehrman's Misquoting Jesus:Who Changed the Bible and why

I'm not sure what else to tell you but to listen to your heart, and think for yourself.

Was it ever not a cult? If you read the NT, there are many verses which are, well cultic. For example I would consider Luke 14:26 "If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, his wife and children, his brothers and sisters--yes, even his own life--he cannot be my disciple." as being cultic in nature, and whether or not Jesus actually said it, somebody put it in the gospels for such a reason. This to me suggests, that Christianity, or at least the brand which won out, was in all likelihood, cultic in nature right from the beginning.

Only difference between a mainstream religion and a "cult" is it's popularity. I submit that all religions are cults.

Christianity is very cultish. Drinking wine as blood and bread as flesh? Being told to give up your earthly goods and money to follow Jesus. Being told that your suffering here will lead to nirvana in the afterlife. Being told to stay away from those who do not believe like you do.

It's all about control. Every cult has the same kinds of rules. Give up what you have. Shun non-believers. Give up your will and submit to someone elses. Do not question the doctrines of the "faith". Do not think for yourself. Usually only one person has the spiritual experience and that's who is the boss.

Christianity is no different. Like any most other cults, they latch on to an idea (like the Jewish God) and morph it into their own. Paul did that when he created Christianity.

Freddy

Christianity has always been a cult, even before there was a canon (the bible) there were several christian cults, and just like then, today if you're in the wrong version of it, you're still doomed to hell.

It's what makes a religion what it is. They are designed to control people without someone physically looking over their shoulder. They are there to explain the unexplainable. Therefore, they are bound to be a cult, with rules for getting in, getting out, and staying a member.

Become? It started that way. Why does everyone think that there was free access to the whole thing from day one? Even in the gospels it's said that the whole thing is taught in parables to hide the truth from outsiders. Then the stuff in Acts about keeping the promises about handing over the cash from the land sale. Keep going and you have it being illegal (unless you had clout) to have your own bible. These are just a few examples of course.

It took centuries to get the "free" and "open" xianity of today. The one that looks down its nose at religions like Scientology because those "cultists" charge for their religious crap and force their members to do whatever. How quickly they've forgotten where they've come from. It doesn't matter if they approve of their origins...they are their origins nonetheless. If Scientology changes their tune in 2000 years and becomes just like the "wonderful" religion of xianity, the xianity of today, then I suppose we should overlook what they're doing in the here and now and focus on what great things Scientology will bring in the future.

After all, this is the lesson xianity tries to teach us.

mwc