Goodbye Jesus

Did Your View And Treatment Of Other People Change After Leaving Christianity?

OrdinaryClay

We are animals if we want to be. We also have a brain so we can make choices. I get tired of people making excuses for their self centredness.

Technically we are animals, but as human animals we should be trying not to act like other species like you said; we have better brains and capacity for rational thought than other animals. Still, I believe much of our emotions and capacity to 'give a fuck' stems from biology. For example a true sociopath simply does not have the capacity to have empathy for others, which is what can make them so dangerous. It is the same as trying to think your way out of depression; some positive thinking and effort can help but it will not cure clinical depression. Biology is not an excuse for behaving badly, this is why we have jails - to protect society from those who either willingly hurt others or are unable to act any other way. Just seeing children with various mental health/personality issues demonstrates how biological this can be. I have seen children who just don't seem to be able to feel for other peoples suffering, and this is depspite having good adult examples of caring for others around them to emulate.

But yeh, people who make excuses for their self-centeredness are often just very selfish, could choose otherwise, but don't. This annoys me too. There can be reasons for bad behavior, and these need to be addressed compassionately, but people still must face the consequences of their actions and take responsibility for what is theirs. People behaving badly often are also destroying their own lives in the process so there is usually more to it that simply being selfish.

I really wish I could just not care about it. I have too much empathy and in a world with too little it has constantly left me open to manipulation and abuse. Yesterday here in chat I found my self arguing with six people at once who all wanted to ram the "why you should be a self centred cow for your own good" argument down my throat. The only one who even partially agreed with me me was, you guessed it, a woman. I have enough trouble staying on the planet as it is with my depression, this selfishness is just too much for me. I don't want to live in a world full of people like that, but it seems that is all there is now, with very few exceptions. As a christian I knew something was wrong, something hurt me all the time,but I could not put my finger on it. Like John Coffey said in The Green Mile, the evil in the world felt like pieces of glass in his brain all the time, so he was happy to die to get away from it. I understand why. Nice gift my biology has given me.

Yesterday here in chat I found my self arguing with six people at once who all wanted to ram the "why you should be a self centred cow for your own good" argument down my throat. 

No you didn't.  That didn't happen.  

Well, now that it's all a sham, we have work to do to make this world better for ourselves and the generations that come after us.  We can make this world heaven or hell.  This existence, this reality.  This world - the one we live in should be our focus.  It absolutely should have always been our focus, but Christianity discreetly shifts your focus to the next one.  What a tragic waste.

This is complete bullshit. Christianity does not shift our focus to the next world. A casual reading of the Gospels tells us this.

It stuns me my how so many who clam to have been Christians have so little understanding of what Christianity is.

It is you who has little understanding of Christianity.  After leaving Christianity I realized that Christianity was much more than just my own private take on Christianity.  There are millions of Christians and they all have their own private take on the religion.  But it's a lot more than just the opinion of an individual.  Christianity is also much more than what the Gospels tell us.

• Like 2

We are animals if we want to be. We also have a brain so we can make choices. I get tired of people making excuses for their self centredness.

Technically we are animals, but as human animals we should be trying not to act like other species like you said; we have better brains and capacity for rational thought than other animals. Still, I believe much of our emotions and capacity to 'give a fuck' stems from biology. For example a true sociopath simply does not have the capacity to have empathy for others, which is what can make them so dangerous. It is the same as trying to think your way out of depression; some positive thinking and effort can help but it will not cure clinical depression. Biology is not an excuse for behaving badly, this is why we have jails - to protect society from those who either willingly hurt others or are unable to act any other way. Just seeing children with various mental health/personality issues demonstrates how biological this can be. I have seen children who just don't seem to be able to feel for other peoples suffering, and this is depspite having good adult examples of caring for others around them to emulate.

But yeh, people who make excuses for their self-centeredness are often just very selfish, could choose otherwise, but don't. This annoys me too. There can be reasons for bad behavior, and these need to be addressed compassionately, but people still must face the consequences of their actions and take responsibility for what is theirs. People behaving badly often are also destroying their own lives in the process so there is usually more to it that simply being selfish.

I really wish I could just not care about it. I have too much empathy and in a world with too little it has constantly left me open to manipulation and abuse. Yesterday here in chat I found my self arguing with six people at once who all wanted to ram the "why you should be a self centred cow for your own good" argument down my throat. The only one who even partially agreed with me me was, you guessed it, a woman. I have enough trouble staying on the planet as it is with my depression, this selfishness is just too much for me. I don't want to live in a world full of people like that, but it seems that is all there is now, with very few exceptions. As a christian I knew something was wrong, something hurt me all the time,but I could not put my finger on it. Like John Coffey said in The Green Mile, the evil in the world felt like pieces of glass in his brain all the time, so he was happy to die to get away from it. I understand why. Nice gift my biology has given me.

Many times, especially when deeply depressed, I have felt the world is too harsh for me and I too sensitive for it; the intense pain and despair of living in such a world was overwhelming. Some of us are unfortunately 'gifted' with such biology and life circumstances only exacerbate the situation. I am lucky in that I also have the ability to disconnect from the world, to dissociate and/or to be pragmatic about it all and think 'oh well, that's life, can't change others so might as well get on with it' or something like that. 

For me it is about my survival not selfishness, as if I didn't disconnect I would definitely succeed in suicide. For months at a time I have no ability to do this and have to ride it out, I have also been like that for several years non-stop so I deeply empathize with the torment you must experience to have no respite from that. This world may be seriously fucked up but it also has great beauty, such as in nature or the surprising kindness of people at times. If I were to live a lifestyle that didn't taking into consideration other peoples feelings I would destroy myself as I simply care too much and would be eaten with guilt over the suffering I had caused to others. It is hard work for me to be even a little selfish when I really need to be for my own health but I am learning to do it. It is a win-win situation when I do learn as my life is improved and other do not suffer for things that are not their own responsibility.

Basically, I have no idea what you can do to help your depression but I do (in part) understand how it feels to care too much, so much it breaks your heart. You don't have to swing to the other side and start treading on people to start putting your happiness and health first. In fact many people in your life may inadvertently benefit from you finding more happiness, and caring less about all the idiots in the world. Do you like using sarcasm? I find it so helpful to go on humorous sarcastic rants about the world (usually on my own in my flat). It burns some anger and makes me smile. Sorry, I was trying to avoid suggestions as I know you have really tried just about everything. 

Yesterday here in chat I found my self arguing with six people at once who all wanted to ram the "why you should be a self centred cow for your own good" argument down my throat.

Right. This is the last time I am going to tell you to stop stalking me throughout this forum and making your stupid comments.

As far as I am concerned you have your head stuck so far up your own self centred retarded ass you cannot see daylight. You are a brainwashed drone who sees what he has been told to see and is blind to everything else. Shut the hell up and STOP commenting on my posts you sad little obsessive.

Right. This is the last time I am going to tell you to stop stalking me throughout this forum and making your stupid comments.

As far as I am concerned you have your head stuck so far up your own self centred retarded ass you cannot see daylight. You are a brainwashed drone who sees what he has been told to see and is blind to everything else. Shut the hell up and STOP commenting on my posts you sad little obsessive.

Galien you lied about what happened in chat.  If you don't want the people who were there to comment then don't lie in the first place.  You demanded that the people of the US overthrow the government and live without laws.  Then you went full on personal attacks against SO.  It was really bad.  At no time did anybody ever tell you to be self centered.

I'm sorry to hear about your pain but lashing out at others isn't going to change anything.  

Oh and would you kindly stop lying about me.  I'm not stalking anybody.

Galien you lied about what happened in chat.  If you don't want the people who were there to comment then don't lie in the first place.  You demanded that the people of the US overthrow the government and live without laws.  Then you went full on personal attacks against SO.  It was really bad.  At no time did anybody ever tell you to be self centered.

I'm sorry to hear about your pain but lashing out at others isn't going to change anything.  

You see things your way, I see things mine. I cannot help it if you people are so blinded by greed and conformity you cannot even begin to understand how the rest of the world sees you. Your whole way of life is a disgrace. You people would never have the balls to overthrow your government, especially people like you.

I don't have to like injustice or selfishness or any of the other things you seem to hold so dear. Get the fuck out of my face. You have been following me about this forum after I have told you to fuck off repeated times ever since the original exchange. You are extremely creepy.

You see things your way, I see things mine. I cannot help it if you people are so blinded by greed and conformity you cannot even begin to understand how the rest of the world sees you. Your whole way of life is a disgrace. You people would never have the balls to overthrow your government, especially people like you.

I don't have to like injustice or selfishness or any of the other things you seem to hold so dear. Get the fuck out of my face. You have been following me about this forum after I have told you to fuck off repeated times ever since the original exchange. You are extremely creepy.

More unfounded accusations.  As usual, they are not true.  This animosity isn't helping anybody. Why not put it behind us?  You get flak from all over the place for attacking ex-C members with that broad bush.  If you didn't do it then you wouldn't get the response.  I really do wish you would let us support you instead.  In order to get there you are going to have to move past this generic ranting.  You will have to recognize that it isn't helping.  There really is a better way.  Have you considered the possibility that the ranting is the very thing that is hurting you?

More unfounded accusations.  As usual, they are not true.  This animosity isn't helping anybody. Why not put it behind us?  You get flak from all over the place for attacking ex-C members with that broad bush.  If you didn't do it then you wouldn't get the response.  I really do wish you would let us support you instead.  In order to get there you are going to have to move past this generic ranting.  You will have to recognize that it isn't helping.  There really is a better way.  Have you considered the possibility that the ranting is the very thing that is hurting you?

Have you considered I think you are a moron? If you had the slightest interest in anything to do with me at all you would have read the posting I made to wanderinstar, NOT to you, and you would have taken it for what it was.

But no, in you have to come shooting off your big fucking mouth telling me how it is. Your input is NOT required. GO AWAY.

• 4 weeks later...

Why don't we have a popcorn emoticon?

:popcorn:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There is something the book of Daniel didn't tell us. When there are no believers in the den, the lions start to devour each other.