Goodbye Jesus

Why Do You Allow Christians On The Site To Post?

Kathlene

...but it too gets pulled down and I am told I am wrong, when these are my personal experiences. It was wrong for you guys when you were in it, but how can you claim it is wrong for me? ...but nevertheless,

I don't deny "personal experiences". I had a few myself. I only deny that "personal experiences" are about anything real in the actual universe outside of one's "personal limpic system" activity.

You understand your "personal experiences" are about God and about ChristianGod in particular. But your personal experiences are meaningless to me, just like the personal experiences that prove Allah to other believers are meaningless to you. I'm sure you had a warm fuzzy, but so?

Personal experiences, being personal, are not good arguments for God when speaking to others who value logical and scientific evidence. Therefore I wouldn't expect "warm fuzzies" to be taken as evidence. "God can't be a mean asshole in spite of what the bible says, because I feel so nice when I think about him," is not an argument for god is love.

Its interesting thinking about personal experiences, and I have one that I would love to hear anyone's opinion of it.

Years ago God gave me a scripture from Isaih I think it was, mentioning me being a repairer of broken walls for my family. This is indeed something I am in the midst of doing at the moment.

Now I have never told anyone about this at all. I have just kept it between God and I.

So I am at a prayer meeting today, and we are talking about our lives, and they know what I am going through personally at the moment.

After these women prayed for me, one lady asks me if I had read Nehemiah. I said yes. She then says I believe God showed me that you are a repairer of broken walls in your family. Remember I have never told anyone about this scripture that God showed me years ago...

Any opinions?

Objet already quoted one of many verses I was going to mention about building walls, but whatever the case, we dream in a manner that has meaning to us. It has nothing to do with God. I recently had a dream where religion, specifically Xianity, was death and specific humans, without religion, contribute to life. Just as my dream has to meaning to me, so did yours, but as for other people guessing whatever, you had to have given her just enough details about your family, that the same verse came to her mind too. After all you are in the same social group. So it was purely coincidence due to the information you had already given her.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Kathlene

• Mriana

• Ouroboros

• florduh

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks guys for all your opinions. They are pretty much what I expected. I can actually see where you are all coming from too. But, you guys know me :HaHa: , I will still think what I think, and do what I do. Meh!

I love you for these two simultaneous things, Kathlene. Wouldn't want to change a thing about you. It's a sight to behold.

:wub:

Phanta

Thanks guys for all your opinions. They are pretty much what I expected. I can actually see where you are all coming from too. But, you guys know me :HaHa: , I will still think what I think, and do what I do. Meh!

I love you for these two simultaneous things, Kathlene. Wouldn't want to change a thing about you. It's a sight to behold.

:wub:

Phanta

Phanta you are so lovely and unassuming and beautiful. Thankyou for your complete acceptance of me in here. ^_^

He said it reminded him of me. The song turned out to be "Good Ship Lifestyle" by Chumbawamba.

My wife thinks the song "Good Ship Lolipop" reminds her of me. But maybe that's something different.

We love you Kathlene. You are our prize example of Cognitive Dissonance in action. We can point to you and show others what it looks like.

He said it reminded him of me. The song turned out to be "Good Ship Lifestyle" by Chumbawamba.

My wife thinks the song "Good Ship Lolipop" reminds her of me. But maybe that's something different.

"I get knocked down, but I get up again. You never gonna keep me down."

Cognitive dissonance yields intense emotional distress. Kathlene doesn't seem too stressed out these days. In fact, she seems pretty settled and content: the polar opposite of cognitive dissonance.

Phanta

• Super Moderator

La la la.

Why do WE allow Christians to post?

First of all, I have NOTHING to say about who's allowed to post/join this site. Only Webmaster Dave makes that call. We are ALL guests in his house and as a guest I wouldn't be so arrogant to presume to say who can or cannot be here.

Secondly, none of us here are afraid of theists of any breed. To forbid you theists from participating would be a tacit admission that we can't handle your bullshit arguments. Which is PRECISELY what most Christian forums do. Or they swiftly ban us for daring to challenge their faith. So since we can't argue with you on YOUR sites, you're allowed to come here. We've got to have these discussions somewhere, right?

Third, it's disgustingly easy to ignore any theist garbage posted here. Why ban you when we can simply skip your threads or posts?

Fourth, you theists provide ample comedy relief and you make excellent clay pigeons for us to shoot down. If you weren't around who would we have to mock? Plus most of you do a MUCH better job of making yourselves look bad than we could ever do.

Fifth, it's rude and cowardly and WRONG to speak about theists behind your backs. You SHOULD be allowed to defend yourselves and even accurately represent your faith. If you weren't allowed to post then we'd be arguing against our own two-dimensional constructs instead of real people. How sad and sorry would that be?

Hope this helps.

Nice to know I can provide a little comic relief to ya'll. Might have to start charging for the privelage soon! :HaHa:

Interesting how when we do try to defend our faith. I sometimes see no point to it. There are bridges of thought in here, and never the twain shall meet....

Anyhoo, it is nice that we are allowed in here, and I respect that decision. I just didnt want to be posting in here and offending people. But like you have all said, you don't have to read it if you dont want to.

You can't defend the indefensible...that's why it is amusing.

There are bridges of thought in here, and never the twain shall meet....

I actually disagree with this. And I'm not just talking in here but everywhere in general. I do not see an unbridgeable gap between faith and reason; that it is a choice to either embrace the left side at the expense of the right, or embrace the right at the expense of the left. That is a misconception on both sides, IMO.

There's need be no compromise of either, but a transformation of understanding that transcends it being literally either this, or literally either that. I see the argument of "This is true", "No, this is true" as operating on the same level, despite any claims of have the stronger evidence.

I can fully appreciate why people choose faith, and I can fully appreciate why people choose reason and evidence. I see it as unfortunate that the argument is construed as a choice of one or the other. To me, it's not reasonable, nor having faith.

....snip.......

Interesting how when we do try to defend our faith(,) I sometimes see no point to it.

....snip......

Kathlene, you introduce a point that I wish to address here, rather than begin a new thread.

"WHO ASKED YOU TO DEFEND YOUR FAITH?"

No one here has issued any challenge for you to defend your faith. I feel fairly confident in stating that most non-believers don't give a damn about what you believe. The ONLY thing we want is for YOU to keep your nonsense to yourself. Believe whatever makes you happy. Just quit judging us and trying to drag us kicking and screaming into your belief system. WE DON'T NEED NOR WANT IT.

I think that theists have an inferiority complex. You constantly "defend" your beliefs because you're ashamed of them. You know how silly you look and so you attempt to validate your beliefs as "rational."

Don't bother trying to deny it. Just look at your own self-deprecating posts and you'll see how your language betrays you. If you were TRULY confident of your beliefs, you wouldn't need to be here defending them. You'd simply live your life and be happy, ignoring what we think and say about you.

You don't see ME posting and arguing on Christian forums, do you? I don't even waste my time arguing with Christians on THIS board. And why not? Because I have no need. I'm secure in my non-belief and thus have no need to defend it. I only open my mouth when people challenge me directly to defend/explain myself. [Which hardly EVER happens, so I'm fairly content.]

So, in closing, YES, Christians are allowed to post on this site. But ask yourself this: WHY DO YOU WANT TO WHEN YOU DON'T HAVE TO?

There are bridges of thought in here, and never the twain shall meet....

I actually disagree with this.

I tend to agree with it. For instance, if two people disagree about what qualifies as genuine knowledge then I think they are likely to disagree on many things.

I can fully appreciate why people choose faith, and I can fully appreciate why people choose reason and evidence. I see it as unfortunate that the argument is construed as a choice of one or the other. To me, it's not reasonable, nor having faith.

Hmm... well I think even science has a small grain of "faith" at its foundation. Scientists, along with nearly everyone else, believe that phenomena can entail other phenomena. That is, when we ask "Why this set of phenomena X?" then we expect an answer "because that set of phenomena Y". But philosophers have pointed out that there is no ironclad way of proving that this relation holds. But I continue to have faith in causality, and it seems reasonable to me.

• Super Moderator
You don't see ME posting and arguing on Christian forums, do you?

Exactly this.

Christians, consider the implications.

You don't see ME posting and arguing on Christian forums, do you?

Exactly this.

Christians, consider the implications.

They can't. They don't understand. Religion stole their minds.

Hmm... well I think even science has a small grain of "faith" at its foundation. Scientists, along with nearly everyone else, believe that phenomena can entail other phenomena. That is, when we ask "Why this set of phenomena X?" then we expect an answer "because that set of phenomena Y". But philosophers have pointed out that there is no ironclad way of proving that this relation holds. But I continue to have faith in causality, and it seems reasonable to me.

Science is that which is verifiable using the same methods/test/manner for everyone regardless of preconceptions.

Valid conclusions remain so when one can use different methods and obtain the same results.

I'm not trying to present you with a definition of science for the purpose of arguing. I'm just pointing out that science defies preconceptions whereas religion propounds preconceptions. It is independent of preconceptions and/or religious beliefs.

If you pointed out some case where a preconception led to faulty evidence, I would say that it was ultimately corrected. Fraud is human. Lying is human. Science will correct even lying fraudulent humans.

Interesting how when we do try to defend our faith. I sometimes see no point to it. There are bridges of thought in here, and never the twain shall meet....

Anyhoo, it is nice that we are allowed in here, and I respect that decision. I just didnt want to be posting in here and offending people. But like you have all said, you don't have to read it if you dont want to.

Kathlene, If you truly believed and were a True Christian TM, then it would be wrong of you not to answer our sincere questions. Yet you haven't answered many of mine in other threads over the past few months.

Why?

I even baited you in this thread, by calling all christians I knew "overt liars" yet you still didn't respond.

Why?

If you are afraid I would be rude or vulgar or something, I can promise I wouldn't be.

In previous threads you said that you were too upset or weak to answer questions. If you had the power of the holy spirit within you, how could that ever be the case?

Yes, I will echo Checkmate's third point in Post #59 and say its the sheer entertainment value. Also, I like seeing Christian comments. It reminds me of where I came from and where I am now.

Nothing personal against you, Kathlene.

Why do WE allow Christians to post?

First of all, I have NOTHING to say about who's allowed to post/join this site. Only Webmaster Dave makes that call. We are ALL guests in his house and as a guest I wouldn't be so arrogant to presume to say who can or cannot be here.

Secondly, none of us here are afraid of theists of any breed. To forbid you theists from participating would be a tacit admission that we can't handle your bullshit arguments. Which is PRECISELY what most Christian forums do. Or they swiftly ban us for daring to challenge their faith. So since we can't argue with you on YOUR sites, you're allowed to come here. We've got to have these discussions somewhere, right?

Third, it's disgustingly easy to ignore any theist garbage posted here. Why ban you when we can simply skip your threads or posts?

Fourth, you theists provide ample comedy relief and you make excellent clay pigeons for us to shoot down. If you weren't around who would we have to mock? Plus most of you do a MUCH better job of making yourselves look bad than we could ever do.

Fifth, it's rude and cowardly and WRONG to speak about theists behind your backs. You SHOULD be allowed to defend yourselves and even accurately represent your faith. If you weren't allowed to post then we'd be arguing against our own two-dimensional constructs instead of real people. How sad and sorry would that be?

Hope this helps.

Er....checkmate in reference to your last post to me with the Red bolded accusation...this is the reason I wrote that when we defend our faith, etc...

These are your own words. You SHOULD be allowed to defend yourselves and even accurately represent your faith.

It seems you are really it two minds here on whether you want us here or not!!

Did you not notice what I said as well in my post, that I dont post anymore, because there are two thoughts in here and never the twain shall they meet. I have read Antlers respectful post in reply to this and he has some good points. I dont really feel a need to defend my faith at all. What I do is hear the viewpoints in here that say God is horrible, a liar, an ogre yada yada and I try and point out that the whole world does not think this. Then we get into debates of well prove it then!!! So I say, well these are my experiences...Then every man and his dog comes out and rips it to bits. So I cant win either way. So if I post, I post. If I dont, I dont. Im in two minds these days on whether I want to or not. Bah...at least I provide good comic relief either way to ya'll. :HaHa:

Kathlene, If you truly believed and were a True Christian TM, then it would be wrong of you not to answer our sincere questions. Yet you haven't answered many of mine in other threads over the past few months.

Why?

I even baited you in this thread, by calling all christians I knew "overt liars" yet you still didn't respond.

Why?

If you are afraid I would be rude or vulgar or something, I can promise I wouldn't be.

In previous threads you said that you were too upset or weak to answer questions. If you had the power of the holy spirit within you, how could that ever be the case?

My apologies Brakeman for not answering your posts. I can see that you really actually want to hear answers. I have learnt in here that whatever I post, and I mean whatever, will be dissected and misconstrued, taken apart, rehashed and then smashed to pieces and regurgitated into something I never meant in the first place. So I have been wary and a little hesitant. Which is why I started this thread. I wanted to get some answers from members in here to see what the going vibe is with having me in here and posting. Apparently it is for comic relief. I did take a break from posting for a while, and sometimes I will enter into a debate or discussion, but not always. I am learning to choose my battles wisely in here, because, unfortunately thats what they become battles. Not a two way street of learning from each other. So forgive me Brakeman, I will try in future to respond more to your posts, and maybe more of others in here.

• Super Moderator
What I do is hear the viewpoints in here that say God is horrible, a liar, an ogre yada yada

Fingers still inserted firmly in ears I see.

I wanted to get some answers from members in here to see what the going vibe is with having me in here and posting. Apparently it is for comic relief....

As one of those who said Christians are funny...please don't take it personally Kathlene. I really like you. Probably we would get along very well in "real life". I find all Christians who are seriously trying to present their faith on here a bit funny, and at times, hilarious. It just strikes me that way after having personally spent years running down every way I could possibly still be a believer, and at the same time to be honest with myself, and not succeeding. If you keep posting your Christian views, Kathlene, you have been here long enough to know what to expect.

I wanted to get some answers from members in here to see what the going vibe is with having me in here and posting. Apparently it is for comic relief....

As one of those who said Christians are funny...please don't take it personally Kathlene. I really like you. Probably we would get along very well in "real life". I find all Christians who are seriously trying to present their faith on here a bit funny, and at times, hilarious. It just strikes me that way after having personally spent years running down every way I could possibly still be a believer, and at the same time to be honest with myself, and not succeeding. If you keep posting your Christian views, Kathlene, you have been here long enough to know what to expect.

Deva, its no sweat to me. I was being a little sarcastic in that post. Its an Aussie trait, lol. Hey I reckon we would get on well in real life too. Yes I know what to expect in here, Im not asking anyone to be any different or nicer, or get special consideration. :HaHa: It is the way it is. Take care.

.. I did take a break from posting for a while, and sometimes I will enter into a debate or discussion, but not always. I am learning to choose my battles wisely in here, because, unfortunately thats what they become battles. Not a two way street of learning from each other. So forgive me Brakeman, I will try in future to respond more to your posts, and maybe more of others in here.

Well K, I don't wish to "Battle" you, nor really to much debate you. I'm more interested in what someone from your point of view would answer to questions that I have asked myself over time and, more importantly, questions that I may dare in the future to ask my wife.

So to kind of start out on the right foot, may I ask about how much you know about the construction and history of the bible first? Generally of course.

Are you aware of the collection and canonization of the scriptures process and the various catholic councils of the 3 though 9th centuries?

Are you familiar with the inquisitions and why they were perpetrated?

Have you ever studied the histories of religion in America?

I ask these general knowledge questions to gauge the differences from you and my wife. She Doesn't know much of this, and doesn't really want to learn. Yet occasionally I do drag her feet to the fire.

Thanks for your time and effort. I promise to be nice, well as nice as I can be..I guess.

OOps. perhaps we should start another thread somewhere, I didn't mean to hijack yours... Will you make one?