Goodbye Jesus

Just Venting

cobrakai

I think the proof we all have against christianity is the fact that we gave it up. All of us here at one time felt as if we were really "true believers". We had faith, extreme faith. The reason we left is because in the end we had to be intellectually honest with ourselves. We could no longer rationalize and debate in our heads with our own beliefs. We were tired of the promises that never came true. We realized it was unhealthy just by living it. That is why I find trying to intellectualize christianity so hysterical. Even though they have no arguments, there are countless books trying to vindicate the historical accuracy of the bible. So many wasted pages trying to convince us all that Jesus really existed and that god truly is "progressive" if you really break down scripture. First off, I thought the Bible was the only book needed. I thought it held such power to inspire even the very worst men. So then why do I walk into a Barnes Noble and see hundreds if not thousands of Christian literature trying to explain the very book that is supposed to be infalible? Secondly it doesnt matter what you come at me with. I lived it for 10 years! I know how it works! There was no power, you could not feel god. All of us here know that we were psychologically fooling ourselves to believe. We know that when we talked to god we were talking to ourselves. There was never a clear answer back. We took things that happened in our daily lives and tried to fashion them so that it must be a sign. My dad is trying to convince of god again because of some book he bought where it went into all these supposed archaelogical findings that proved the bible. So because somebody dug up a clay pot I am all of a sudden supposed to feel god? That proves god? What an incredible god you have that he needs humans to dig up old shit to prove he is real. What an incredible god that he actually has a fucking nationality and that if we break down greek and hebrew texts we will know he exists. What nonsense.

What nonsense.

Amen.

I think the proof we all have against christianity is the fact that we gave it up.

<snip>

Nice little rant you've got here and I'm sure it's true for you. However, I ask not to be included in other people's rants any more than I liked being included in their sermons about "all of us" and "we all"...

That being said, I like the idea that exChristian.net is evidence of no-god to counter-balance the Christian idea that Christianity is evidence of god. Of course, in reality, it's no such thing but it sounds neat.

I think the proof we all have against christianity is the fact that we gave it up. All of us here at one time felt as if we were really "true believers". We had faith, extreme faith. The reason we left is because in the end we had to be intellectually honest with ourselves.

Brilliant rant - especially the part about being "intellectually honest".

I've been accosted by a Christian missionary lately on Facebook and I challenged him with the same thing. He flew off the handle about how I was accusing him of being a dishonest person. I replied something about his being sincere but not intellectually honest but I don't think he got the picture *SIGH*

So ... here's the one thing I'm baffled about: If my son (who is 15) did something wrong and needed to ask my forgiveness, would I ask him to cut his innocent little pet hamster's head off and pour the blood on an altar in order to appease my wrath? Of course not - I would just simply forgive him. How then can otherwise-rational adults believe in a religion that demands the shedding of innocent blood to appease the wrath of their God? It's sick, disgusting and barbaric. Okay - Jesus was the final sacrifice and the spotless "Lamb" etc BUT restitution is still based on ancient blood-sacrifice religion. If God is supposed to be so good etc why does He not simply forgive human transgressions without the need for all the innocent blood? We only accept this bullshit because we have become familiar with the story - familiarity breeds familiarity (hehe). How much intellectual dishonesty does it take to accept that crap as even remotely true?

I think the proof we all have against christianity is the fact that we gave it up.

<snip>

Nice little rant you've got here and I'm sure it's true for you. However, I ask not to be included in other people's rants any more than I liked being included in their sermons about "all of us" and "we all"...

That being said, I like the idea that exChristian.net is evidence of no-god to counter-balance the Christian idea that Christianity is evidence of god. Of course, in reality, it's no such thing but it sounds neat.

I apologize for being so general. I must keep in mind that not all of us had the same experience with Christianity.

I totally hear you on this one.

It amazes me, the lengths some people will go to in the attempt to justify their faith in a religion that is fundamentally nonsensical and immoral. Christian apologetics is nothing but intellectual contortion, trying to rationalise the irrational.

Of course the god of the Old Testament is jealous, vengeful, violent, capricious, and all of those other things that we find reprehensible in fellow humans; but because he's supposed to be an all-powerful sky-god, who is paradoxically all-loving(?!) not only are we expected to accept this god's behaviour as moral and just, but we're also told that we have no right to make moral judgements, because, as atheists (those of us who are, that is) have no basis on which to construct morality. Because goodness knows, human experience of social interaction and empathy just can't be enough.

But wait, say the Christians - you have to read the old testament "through the prism" of the new testament (yes, I've actually read that phrase several times), and then you'll somehow magically discover that no, god hasn't changed his personality, and really, he's been a good guy all along - albeit one who is prone to fits of jealous rage and destruction. But that's okay, because it's all our fault, god's anger is justified, and much like abused spouses, we have to keep coming back because god really, really loves us, honest, and let's face it, without god to save us from the damnation to which he himself condemned us, we're screwed.

Sickening.

Wow - that wasn't really meant to turn into such a rant, but suffice it to say, I get where you're coming from!

... it's all our fault, god's anger is justified, and much like abused spouses, we have to keep coming back because god really, really loves us, honest, and let's face it, without god to save us from the damnation to which he himself condemned us, we're screwed.

I have a friend who has just come out of an abusive relationship. While listening to her share her experience I couldn't help seeing the similarity with the Christian experience - hope being dashed and rekindled on a daily dose of false promises but still going back because this time he really means it (doesn't he?).

<snip>

I apologize for being so general. I must keep in mind that not all of us had the same experience with Christianity.

I appreciate this, too. I was never a true believer.

Phanta