Goodbye Jesus

The Revenge Of The Humanities

chefranden

There is no simple way to battle public hostility to climate research.
As the psychologists show, facts barely sway us anyway.

There is one question that no one who denies manmade climate change wants to answer: what would it take to persuade you? In most cases the answer seems to be nothing. No level of evidence can shake the growing belief that climate science is a giant conspiracy codded up by boffins and governments to tax and control us. The new study by the Met Office, which paints an even grimmer picture than the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, will do nothing to change this view.

The attack on climate scientists is now widening to an all-out war on science. Writing recently for the Telegraph, the columnist Gerald Warner dismissed scientists as "white-coated prima donnas and narcissists … pointy-heads in lab coats [who] have reassumed the role of mad cranks … The public is no longer in awe of scientists. Like squabbling evangelical churches in the 19th century, they can form as many schismatic sects as they like, nobody is listening to them any more."

Read the Rest Here

Guest ephymeris

I like the part about how they should release scientific articles for free so the world has access to real science. I find it very frustrating to attempt to find studies on an issue only to be told I have to join a med resource site and pay for the article...

^Agree

I like the part about how they should release scientific articles for free so the world has access to real science. I find it very frustrating to attempt to find studies on an issue only to be told I have to join a med resource site and pay for the article...

It's a good point. I'm not sure how they would make it financially feasible, but it's a good thought. I'm lucky to have free online access to tens of thousands of subscriptions and books through the college library. Imagine if everyday person had that access? Suddenly we'd be referencing the real data, not just wikipedia or blog versions of research.

It's a good point. I'm not sure how they would make it financially feasible, but it's a good thought. I'm lucky to have free online access to tens of thousands of subscriptions and books through the college library. Imagine if everyday person had that access? Suddenly we'd be referencing the real data, not just wikipedia or blog versions of research.

I dunno. Until last year I was an assistant professor with tons of access, but wiki (and the like) is easier for things not in my field of expertise.

Most of the responses I write are short - even shorter than the wiki articles - but I do verify when there are questions in my mind about the articles online.