Goodbye Jesus

Being Facebook Stalked...

TheSeeking

In the last few days there have been these two girls who have been trying to add everyone at my school who nobody had actually ever heard of before. It didn't take long for everyone to figure out that they were fake accounts seeing as they had no pictures or information but had the same birthday. Turns out that these accounts were actually made by the school administration as an attempt to see what the students are up to. Allegedly, it's to prevent cyber bullying but that's bullshit, obviously. This just sickens me to no end. Is there any legal action that can be persued? Are they allowed to create fake accounts and add their students?

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

Guest Net Eng

In the last few days there have been these two girls who have been trying to add everyone at my school who nobody had actually ever heard of before. It didn't take long for everyone to figure out that they were fake accounts seeing as they had no pictures or information but had the same birthday. Turns out that these accounts were actually made by the school administration as an attempt to see what the students are up to. Allegedly, it's to prevent cyber bullying but that's bullshit, obviously. This just sickens me to no end. Is there any legal action that can be persued? Are they allowed to create fake accounts and add their students?

Legal or not, get used to it.

Human Resource department, colleges etc. are using Internet searches to see what type of people are knocking on their doors and using that info to make decisions.

The HR department where I work Google's every applicant and checks social networking sites as well. Has it hurt some people's chances of getting a job... you bet your ass it has.

I'm not defending the practice but merely reporting its use. I find it horrifying the amount of personal info people put on the open Internet.

While I'm not sure about the law, I'd recommend that you do some quiet homework re. checking up on these two persons. If you are sure they are fake accounts that the school set up (don't just accept rumors), the best thing you can do is call the news media and try to shine the spotlight on the school officials. Sometimes school administrators forget that their authority stops at the schoolhouse door and try to interfere with students' private lives when they are away from campus. A recent example is the case wherein a school used built-in web cams in school-owned computers that students were allowed to check out and take home to see what was happening in the students' homes.

When authorities abuse their positions, you have an obligation to stand up to such abuse. But be sure you are right and have the facts, because if you are wrong, you'll be accused of making false charges and lose credibility.

I'd remove them from your friends list (assuming they were ever there to begin with) and then lock down your privacy settings, HARD. Set everything to "friends only" and, if a real-life friend wants to add you, I'd have them do it in your presence where you can verify that it's actually them friending you and not someone trying to pull a fast one. Invite them over for tea, say "let's use the PC," have them log in and send the friend request, and then you log in and accept it. Until you're sure the threat has passed, paranoia is your greatest ally.

I use a pseudonym to hide from my family and potential employers.

Run a scam on them. Fake all kinds of crap to get their attention. Then make total fools of them when they say boo.

Down under here, it is illegal for teachers to be friends with their students on facebook. Im pretty sure.

Run a scam on them. Fake all kinds of crap to get their attention. Then make total fools of them when they say boo.

Sounds like fun, but I'd recommend against that. Doing so creates a new deception and lowers you to their level. You need to live up to the same standard of honesty that you expect from your school administrators.

You would do a better service to yourself and your friends by showing the public that your school administration does not practice the honest behavior they expect from their students. I would make an issue of this by making lots of noise about the fact that they claim to teach honesty and truthfullness, and expect students to behave this way, yet their dishonesty violates the trust of the students they profess to mentor. I would confront them directly and publicly with this question: "How can you expect us to respect and trust you when you deceive us and violate our trust in this way?"

If you can't get the news to cover it, write a letter to the letters column of your local paper.

That reminds me.

Years and years and years ago, I made this Tripod website of shitty Christian poetry. My girlfriend Googled my full name and found it. I think I made that thing about 10 or 11 fucking years ago. How the fuck can I nuke it? It's been bugging the shit out of me.

I thought FB was specifically FOR networking w/ potential business/employers? Everything on my page is designed to show them how witty and popular I am. If any friends post things on my wall I wouldn't want the world to see, they are blocked.

In fact, I didn't get active on FB until I realized some friends who work for a company I'm targeting were active there. The BIG boss isn't on FB, but I know these people report back to him.

I supposed you know that your "friends" can screen cap anything you post and email it to the world? Don't put anything on the web ANYWHERE that you wouldn't want broadcast on TMZ. And that includes here.

That reminds me.

Years and years and years ago, I made this Tripod website of shitty Christian poetry. My girlfriend Googled my full name and found it. I think I made that thing about 10 or 11 fucking years ago. How the fuck can I nuke it? It's been bugging the shit out of me.

Link us the site. We'll take a look at it and let you know. :wicked:

I don't add anyone as a friend unless I know them and have talked to them IRL. In this case they basically need your permission to stalk you. Don't give it to them.