Goodbye Jesus

When Are You Dead? Science Just Made The Work Of Religion A Bit More Difficult

Mriana

When Are You Dead? Science Just Made the Work of Religion a Bit More Difficult

I told my sons, when I can no longer communicate my wants, needs, desires, dislikes, etc and there is absolutely no hope of me ever recovering, then pull the plug, because if I can't tell someone I don't want to eat something, even if it is a slap of the hand or something, then to me I have no quality of life. Same goes with expressing my thoughts. If I can no longer express myself, even through written word or gesture, then I see no need to continue.

If this MRI deal proves to be of any use, I'll have to revise my statement, because I'm not so sure I would want to live in a manner this article mentions. I don't see this as quality of life- not for me at least- and I don't want any religious person to jump in and tell my sons they should not pull the plug if I am in such a state with no hope of recovery. As long as I can communicate in some fashion, then I want to live, but not communication like this, without hope of recovering from it. To spend the rest of my life hooked up to machines controlling my heart, lungs, and now yes or no answers, without any improvement ever, seems like a nightmare to me. Stating just "yes or no" to questions requiring not much more than that, doesn't seem like quality of life to me. If asked a yes or no question about continuing on life support in that condition is asked, how could one ask the question, "What are the chances I will recover? What is the prognosis?" You can't. It is a question left up to those who survive you, and I, for one, would be quite frustrated if I could not respond to more than just yes or no questions. IF I could think past that, then I would want clarification and I can't get that if I am forced to answer yes or no. It would be quite frustrating to me, but then again, IF I were able to feel that frustration, then there might be some hope of recovery. Although, I don't think there is much dignity in this, not to mention quality of life, esp if the prognosis is not good. Why have your family go broke, only to have the gov. end up eventually paying, if they ever do, keeping you alive only to ask you yes or no questions until all brain activity stops? I would think it would be time for eternal sleep, the sleep of the dead and eventually plant food.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this MRI deal?

I see even more Terry Shaivos in the future being forced to live a dismal life.

My heart goes out to those in such unfortunate conditions.

In the wake of Terry Shaivo, my family (including me) have made it clear to family members that if there appears to be no hope, pull the damn plug.

I agree. I don't want to be another Terry Shaivo either. I have no clue if she had any idea what was happening, but I'm sure she was not happy with her state of being, if she could even feel emotion, that is. I wouldn't be happy in such a condition. Death would be far better.

Funny, we got on this conversation a bit yesterday at my dog rescue group. In the group discussing this topic, we have one cancer survivor, and another woman who lost her daughter to cancer at 27. Initially the discussion was about putting our pets through all these harsh treatments, and after experiencing this first hand, neither of these women would consider putting their pets through it...the pets do not understand that they might get better, and the experience was not worth the suffering without that hope.

The conversation then turned to quality of life for humans, and our freedom of choice in the matter. My husband and I were talking about this the other day too...anyways, for me, if I'm to the point of not wanting to continue living, and have the clarity to judge my situation rationally, I personally want to have the power to make that decision. If someone else has to make that decision because of my mental state, I agree that the ability to communicate is key. Once I can no longer communicate my wishes, then don't keep my body alive. And I would hope if/when I am in that position, hopefully someone will be brave enough to make the same decision I've made for a number of my pets over the years.

Even as a christian, but even more so now as an atheist, I just don't completely comprehend this whole idea of the sanctity of human life. We consider it humane, and the kind thing to do to have our animals put to sleep when they are obviously miserable day in and day out. Yes, animals rely more on their body and less on their mind and that point of "sheer misery" probably happens sooner than it may for a human, but why do we feel such a need to make humans suffer until there is absolutely zero hope - and beyond? I know there are people who feel very strongly about this, but I just don't get it, and never have been able to.

Personally, I would rather go peacefully (like my dogs and cats) rather than suffer until my last system completely fails me....or my mind just shuts down because my body is being forced to continue living. Whether this is due to an accident or old age, either way I just cannot wrap my head around this being considered humane for humans, but not for other creatures...I guess I don't see as huge of a distinction as a lot of people.