Goodbye Jesus

Seasonal Rituals For Kids?

kazza

I was wondering what others do with kids at easter and christmas etc in terms of giving meaning to the celebrations etc? i was just looking at easter activities to do with the kids (making chicks and crafts and all that) but i cant think of a meaningful reason to do this stuff if you know what i mean? I mean if they ask why are we doing eggs and chicks and all that i cant go on about jesus and new life so it seems kinda silly and pointless to do it in the first place and yet i dont want them to miss out on the fun stuff/traditions etc - same way with christmas - its kinda lost its meaning - do you just come up with your own meanings - like easter we just feel happy to be alive or something?

I was wondering what others do with kids at easter and christmas etc in terms of giving meaning to the celebrations etc? i was just looking at easter activities to do with the kids (making chicks and crafts and all that) but i cant think of a meaningful reason to do this stuff if you know what i mean? I mean if they ask why are we doing eggs and chicks and all that i cant go on about jesus and new life so it seems kinda silly and pointless to do it in the first place and yet i dont want them to miss out on the fun stuff/traditions etc - same way with christmas - its kinda lost its meaning - do you just come up with your own meanings - like easter we just feel happy to be alive or something?

I'm not sure what you're getting at exactly, but the chicks and eggs (and bunnies) of easter come from a pagan holiday focused on fetility (hence the eggs and rabbits).

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/27142/a_look_at_easter_symbolism_and_the.html?cat=74

Its fun for all involved, why make an issue?

The easter bunny is a clever trick by the devil to distort the true meaning of easter, which is, of course, new clothes for everybody!

Xians are all for anything to brainwash entice children, including candy and cuddly chicks. It's a little later they tell you about the hell part.

I celebrate the pagan holidays with my kids. Its much more meaningful and all the fun parts are the same. You don't have to talk about the goddess or anything. Easter is the beginning of spring therefore you celebrate the things that happen in the beginning of spring - baby animals, flower buds, warmer weather, longer days, new life. To take it to another level you can talk to your kids about goals or projects they want to nurture and grow. Human beings have always celebrated the passing seasons and tried to connect the changing world to their own lives. No reason at all to let Christianity ruin that for you.

I celebrate Easter (Ostara) on the spring equinox because that it when it ought to be, but there's nothing wrong with doing it on the normal day. I do the same with Christmas and with all the other pagan holidays (evenly spread through the year). Most important part of holidays is relaxing and having fun and spending time with family and friends. This can be hard to do with holidays like Easter if you do not celebrate them from a Christian perspective, but if you can manage to do it for you kids you've given them fond memories that will not be stained by religious messages. The spring equinox and winter solstice need to be taken back - they were always heathen celebrations and can be again.

SilentLoner - thanks for the link i will check it out - i wasnt trying to make an issue out of it - though not sure what you mean by that - i just ment how can i make it meaningful for the kids without all the christian stuff spoiling it!! Like if they asked why we are doing chicks and easter bunnies i want a kind of coherent answer rather than just - er well its' just a tradition' or going on about christian stuff. I suppose i meant to find out some pointers for the original meanings of the holidays which i'm gathering would mean looking a little into pagan traditions.

Midnight wanderings - thanks for your ideas - thats exactly what i was looking for - i dont want to go pagan - i have truly had enough of any type of religion/belief mindset BUT i am interested in nature and that aspect of it - not gods and godesses etc. That was really helpful, i will look into it further. :0)

I would continue to celebrate the aspects of the holidays - for easter, like midnight said, celebrate the coming of spring and what it brings. For christmas, that's hardly a religious holiday anymore anyways, so you can still make it a celebration about family, spending time together, and appreciating those around us. Thanksgiving is about friends, and sharing our "bounty" slim as it may be. We typically invite a few people over who have no where else to go (live away from family, and their other friends are all meeting with family) and enjoy a bit potluck style dinner and celebrate in our own way.

You can change the traditions around a bit to without your kids having to miss out. Now, we don't have kids, but since we don't live close to family, for christmas we just have a day of eating a bunch of snack foods we normally can't afford (but love), watching movies, and hanging out in our pajamas. It's something we have come to look forward to every year. It's far from "traditional" but you could always develop something different for your family as well that they may enjoy even more!

The spring equinox and winter solstice need to be taken back - they were always heathen celebrations and can be again.

I've already taken the liberty of recapturing the spring equinox. :woohoo:

And My house is currently full of chocolate.

Thinking back to when I was a kid, it was always about the bunny rabbits and the candy. The Christian mythology was a bad fit for the season, and didn't make any sense at all until I read some of Frazer's Golden Bough and saw the tie-in to agricultural mythology.

Yeah, you can focus on the true meanings behind the holidays instead of the evil Christian crap that was layered over the top.

I echo your conundrum friend.

Maybe look at it as some of our sports, which were derived from ritual combat but now represent harmless entertainment (except for those who sport 'hockey grins')

Once upon a time 'shooting the bulls' was a ritual intended to train killers, now it is just 'darts'. Fun to play and no one remembers the historical significance. Let'em have their easter fun, but let them know that fun is the idea, not some stale old ceremony or ritual.

-cully

If I have kids I'll celebrate all the usual holidays. Obviously I won't celebrate any religious aspects of the holiday, but I'll tell my kids why the holidays are so popular in western society. For me, I guess it'll just be an excuse to buy them presents and candy.