Goodbye Jesus

The Ladybugs Are Invading

Neon Genesis

Is it just me or does it seem like whenever fall gets here, the ladybugs start invading your home and they keep invading through the spring and then disappear in the summer? We've been invaded by ladybugs lately. There's three ladybugs in a row on the ceiling downstairs and we keep finding them on our steps and windows. My mother just went to the nursery to buy some ladybug spray but it's getting annoying when you find one on every little corner of the house. Is anyone else being invaded by ladybugs and what did you do about it?

I wish my house was being invaded by ladybugs, they're kinda cute. All we get this time of year are these nasty brown beetle-like bugs (I don't know what they're called or where the hell they come from), and I'm sick them already.

I wish my house was being invaded by ladybugs. All we get this time of year are nasty brown beetle-like bugs (I don't know what they're called or where the hell they come from), and I'm sick of vaccuming them up already.

We call them June bugs here and boy do they suck. The larval form is the nasty looking lawn munching grub you may be familiar with.

As for the ladybugs I say bring them on, they tend to be beneficial, though I their larval form creeps me out and they leave their stupid pupae everywhere. Though now that you mention it I've been seeing more ladybugs this year than others, I wonder if the population growth is being influenced somehow.

It's just getting annoying finding ladybugs everywhere you go. Just last night there was one on my lamp in my room and the other night ago I had just gotten rid of one in my room.

I like ladybugs. Infestations in the house with any kind of bug really sucks. In Florida we caught cameleons, whatever they are called, and released them in the house to get rid of mosquitoes and other bugs. There is a foreign beetle that resembles a ladybug that is beginning to take over the US. It BITES! It is the Asian Beetle. This link may also help with controlling ladybugs in your house.

http://www.epestsupply.com/asian_beetles.html

Thankfully, my brother-in-law is the local pest exterminator and sprays my house!

We call them June bugs here and boy do they suck. The larval form is the nasty looking lawn munching grub you may be familiar with.

Hey Doc, could those be what I kept finding in my house last spring? Do they get indoors and spread around quite a bit?

I'm familiar with June bugs and they irritate me. If those were June bug larvae, I'm gonna buy a TON of bug spray and soak my house with it.

Hey Doc, could those be what I kept finding in my house last spring? Do they get indoors and spread around quite a bit?

I'm familiar with June bugs and they irritate me. If those were June bug larvae, I'm gonna buy a TON of bug spray and soak my house with it.

Probably not, the June Bug larvae are those fat white grubs that eat grass roots. Can you describe the house pests some more? Odds are I've had run ins with the buggers as well, could maybe swap some intel on the North Texas bug front.

IIRC they were some kind of skinny grub (I think that would be the right term) about a quarter of an inch long and mostly an off-white color with (I think) a small dark spot at one end. They appeared in random places in my lower floor. I have no idea where they could have come from because I've had no problem with any other bugs indoors except for the random june bug that snuck inside.

I've been waiting to see if they reappear this year. If they do, I'll take a pic and send it to you.

Thanks for the help.

OBJ

P.S. Neon, I'm sorry to hear about your ladybug problems. I kind of like the occational one but a bunch of them have got to suck. My company used to keep us in a hotel that got SWARMED with crickets every year. In fact, Doc might even know of it. It was the Knights Inn by the Ballpark. Yuck!

IIRC they were some kind of skinny grub (I think that would be the right term) about a quarter of an inch long and mostly an off-white color with (I think) a small dark spot at one end. They appeared in random places in my lower floor. I have no idea where they could have come from because I've had no problem with any other bugs indoors except for the random june bug that snuck inside.

A silverfish maybe? I see those from time to time, and where there is one there are more.

My company used to keep us in a hotel that got SWARMED with crickets every year. In fact, Doc might even know of it. It was the Knights Inn by the Ballpark. Yuck!

Ah yeah! The whole area there gets it bad some years (wet years I think), specially down around Lincoln Square and the Rd. To To Six Flags, piles of em crawling around stores and doors.

Well, now you've me thinking about it, I just did some searching.

This looks a lot like what I saw last year. It claims that they're moth larvae.

And I've just discovered, much to my surprise, that many bug sites don't include pictures. Bummer.

The BugGuide.net seems kind of good though!

Good find, I was looking for a decent bug ID site myself.

Hmm, moth larva, I think I've seen those around before but not lately. You might try putting cedar blocks in your closets or drawers and throwing some chips around entryways to your house.

My company used to keep us in a hotel that got SWARMED with crickets every year. In fact, Doc might even know of it. It was the Knights Inn by the Ballpark. Yuck!

Ah yeah! The whole area there gets it bad some years (wet years I think), specially down around Lincoln Square and the Rd. To To Six Flags, piles of em crawling around stores and doors.

As you probably know, they tore that shithole down before they built the new stadium. I wish I had known about that beforehand. I would have gone out there with a lawn chair and a six-pack just so that I could cheer the destruction of that nasty pit!

I haven't seen very many moths indoors here but it wouldn't hurt to buy some cedar and mothballs. Thanks for the advice! :thanks:

ny used to keep us in a hotel that got SWARMED with crickets every year. In fact, Doc might even know of it. It was the Knights Inn by the Ballpark. Yuck!

Is it one of those bugs with the lots of legs and the feelers that crawl around on the walls and they're kind of brownish? I think I know what you're talking about and I don't know what they're called but people always think I'm talking about centipedes. I don't think it's a centipede though. I'm too scared to look at the bug sites because I have a bugphobia and I can't even bare to look at pics of bugs. I recently bought Dawkins' book The Greatest Show On Earth but I'm not even sure I'll be able to finish it because he has pictures of bugs in it.

Is it one of those bugs with the lots of legs and the feelers that crawl around on the walls and they're kind of brownish? I think I know what you're talking about and I don't know what they're called but people always think I'm talking about centipedes.

The bug Doc, and probably you, is talking about is a Silverfish. It's about an inch long and an annoying but harmless bug. Although just tonight I learned that they eat books. If I find any silverfish munching on my book collection, he's gonna get squashed! A centipede is probably not something anyone in the States would see indoors (AFAIK).

I'm too scared to look at the bug sites because I have a bugphobia and I can't even bare to look at pics of bugs. I recently bought Dawkins' book The Greatest Show On Earth but I'm not even sure I'll be able to finish it because he has pictures of bugs in it.

Wow! That's quite a phobia if you can't even look at pictures.

I've got a great close-up of a spider. You can see all eight of his eyes and every hair on his scary little face! Can I send it to you? :grin: Pretty please?

Oh yeah, that reminds me. About BugGuide.net:

Neon, stay away from it. It has a lot of good pictures of different types of bugs.

Doc, the picture on the left with all the drawings is a kind of clickable menu. You just click on the bug that looks the most like yours and it goes to a page showing a bunch of different varieties. I think that's pretty neat!

I wish my house was being invaded by ladybugs. All we get this time of year are nasty brown beetle-like bugs (I don't know what they're called or where the hell they come from), and I'm sick of vaccuming them up already.

As for the ladybugs I say bring them on, they tend to be beneficial, though I their larval form creeps me out and they leave their stupid pupae everywhere. Though now that you mention it I've been seeing more ladybugs this year than others, I wonder if the population growth is being influenced somehow.

Its not a june bug from what I've researched, I can't seem to find any pictures of it.

Edit: Ah crap, just found its pic on google - its a Stink Bug.

http://www.nj.com/homegarden/garden/index.ssf/2009/10/stink_bugs.html

I wish my house was being invaded by ladybugs, they're kinda cute. All we get this time of year are these nasty brown beetle-like bugs (I don't know what they're called or where the hell they come from), and I'm sick them already.

No you don't. They stink up the place, and their constant bouncing off of things get so annoying. It's definitely not fun when they land in your hair.

One ladybug even landed in my mother's glass of water and she almost drank it but she luckily noticed it there first before she took a sip.