Goodbye Jesus

Mark Driscoll Must Be Trolling

Dagan

Mark Driscoll, macho-man pastor of Seattle's Mars Hill church shits all over "Avatar" as the "most satanic movie he's ever seen." And his church eats it up.

Really? He's never seen "the Exorcist" or "The First Power?"

I think this guy is trolling. He can't be that looney-tunes. Can he?

Personally I think it's just more macho "Hard-ass Jesus neo-Calvinism" bullshit. I can't believe I used to listen to this guy as a Christian.

From his sermon:

The world tempts you to sin, to use people, to disobey God, to live for your own glory instead of his own, to be a consumer instead of generous, that's the world system.

And if you don't believe me, go see Avatar, the most demonic, satanic film I've ever seen. That any Christian could watch that without seeing the overt demonism is beyond me. I logged on to christianitytoday.com and the review was reflective of Christianity today, very disappointing. See, in that movie, it is a completely false ideology, it's a sermon preached. It's the most popular movie ever made, and it tells you that the creation mandate, the cultural mandate is bad, that we shouldn't, we shouldn't develop culture, that's a bad thing.

Primitive is good and advanced is bad and that we're not sinners, we're just disconnected from the divine life force, just classic, classic, classic paganism, that human beings are to connect, literally, with trees and animals and beasts and birds and that there's this spiritual connection that we're all a part of, that we're all a part of the divine.

It presents a false mediator with a witch. It presents false worship of created things rather than Creator God in absolute antithesis to Romans 1:25, which gives that as the essence of paganism. It has a false incarnation where a man comes in to be among a people group and to assume their identity. It's a false Jesus. We have a false resurrection. We have a false savior. We have a false heaven. The whole thing is new age, satanic, demonic paganism, and people are just stunned by the visuals. Well, the visuals are amazing because Satan wants you to emotionally connect with a lie.

Mark Driscoll, macho-man pastor of Seattle's Mars Hill church shits all over "Avatar" as the "most satanic movie he's ever seen." And his church eats it up.

Really? He's never seen "the Exorcist" or "The First Power?"

I think this guy is trolling. He can't be that looney-tunes. Can he?

Primitive is good and advanced is bad

I think he's for real. He seems to have an understanding of paganism, but he seems to overlook that there is no "magic" in the film (or I didn't see any).

As for the above quote that I selected, it seems ironic that the church has fought progress all the way and the Christian religion deprecates "knowledge". "The wisdom of the wise will perish, the intelligence of the intelligent will vanish."

• Like 1

It's all satanic..wank wank wank...be sure to tithe..wank wank...oh the horrible pagans and their blue demons..I alone tell you the truth..don't find comfort or joy anywhere but here or the DEVIL will get you..oh shudder..be sure to give to our building program.

More Xian fear mongering and perpetuating the poop that all but X is the devil. There is no devil, never has been. Nor a resurrection.

Avatar was great. It moved me emotionally and gave me a huge adrenaline rush, and the Na'Vi language is cool:

Fìtsenge kea tìkawng lu

sì fìtsenge, kea vrrtepay.

Fìtsenge Eywayä kelku lu

Here there is no evil

and here, no demons.

Here is Eywa's home

(Part of a poem by HawkPidgeon, found on http://www.learnnavi.org/)

From reading it, the only reason why I wouldn't agree with it is because I've been cured of the Idea that the bible is the word of God. That is to say if it appears crazy that's because the underlying believe system is crazy. So no, he probably isn't trolling.

It's typical for puppet-master fundy preachers to jump on anything new, progressive, avant garde, or just plain fun to remind the sheep that without steadfast grim and serious dedication to the cult, Satan will drag you away using any number of deceptions and seduction.

Fear of a creative and entertaining fantasy movie is just another symptom of the madness and hatred for human imagination and creativity that doesn't directly serve their psychotic religious purpose.

The question is, will there be any Christians or Christian thinkers that will Email Driscoll and tell him he's nuts?

That might be the bigger question.

• Like 2

Considering his love for pop culture and movies for sermon illustrations, I found his attack surprising.

He must have entirely missed the movie, Dogma.

Ah c'mon people, we all know he is just pissed off because he secretly has a hard on for the Na'Vi men.

Christian critics said a lot of the same things about the original Star Wars movies when they came out. Substitute eastern philosophy of yin and yang for paganism and the objections are pretty much the same. Like they expected Star Wars to brainwash everyone out of the Christian faith.

Christian critics said a lot of the same things about the original Star Wars movies when they came out. Substitute eastern philosophy of yin and yang for paganism and the objections are pretty much the same. Like they expected Star Wars to brainwash everyone out of the Christian faith.

That's about when I deconverted.

Coincidence?

I don't think he's trolling. I think he's a macho moneygrubbing fundie attention whore who's just pissed off that his church hasn't made as much money or gotten as much attention as this year's biggest blockbuster movie has. So he has to thump his chest and wave his big penis around so that he can turn everybody's attention back onto himself again.

That's my unabashedly unhumble opinion, anyway. :shrug:

shits all over "Avatar" as the "most satanic movie he's ever seen." And his church eats it up.

Really? House of 1000 Corpses is less Satanic than Avatar?

I wasn't overly fond of Avatar but that guy is nuts if thats the most satanic movie he's ever seen.

Oh noez eet haz spiritual implacationz differrreant den Kryst is lard it are of da DEBIL.

SHUT DE DO

KEEP OUT DA DEBIL

• 1 year later...

When you're convinced satan is everywhere and is the puppetmaster behind everything outside your church, of course something outside of the passion of the christ is going to seem demonic.

Yea /\ that!!!

I believe that HE THINKS that he is RIGHT...

a troll, I don't know what they really means...

an asshat; with what WE understand to be delusion and idiotic thinking, YES...

but all in all, I think that like MANY OTHER CHRISTIANS they demonize what THREATENS their delusion and anyone who watches a "satanic" movie is bound to believe it rather than JC and therefore it is BAD NEWS and NEEDS TO BE BANNED for everyone's "soul's" sake...IGNORANCE based on FEAR (fear of loss of AUTHORITY that is) and getting on the "beat the devil up" bandwagon.

Without the devil, they wouldn't have any "one" to fight against and look so much "holier than thou".

I don't think he's trolling either. I've known way too many fundies who thought just like this about whatever fantasy/sci-fi sensation was going on at the time. When someone like him sees demons behind everything he doesn't like, it's really easy to start spouting craziness like this. It starts to remind me of old White Wolf gamebooks wherein every single event in human history starts to look like it was caused by vampires. There's no room for humans to just be humans; there's no room for movies like Avatar to be made out of a simple desire to get richer than Croesus.

Funny how Christians ascribe so much more power to Satan than to God. God won't interfere due to free will or whatever their rationalization du jour is, but Satan doesn't feel any such limitation. He'll get his rump right in there and get the job done!

It's not trolling. The pastors in my ex-church would say similar things.

I threw away books, CDs for their alleged satanic contents.

When my father and his wife converted they even threw away books by a renowned and great poet because said poet ended his life at the age of 32 in suicide and he had all kinds of mental problems. So he was deemed demon posessed and his works had to be thrown away.

Ugh. I cannot tell you how many times I have thrown away and literally decimated my book and CD collection in the name of "holiness". No more. The only things I'm ridding myself of now are the xtian things.

One of the many sad logical conclusions of taking the bible literally is the delusion that the world must obviously revolve around the things you believe. I knew somone who was offended by Shrek because it had a talking donkey, and since the bible had a talking donkey as well, apparently the whole point of the character was to tell us the bible is a fairy tale. It's like the rest of the world is assumed to have nothing better to do with their time.

I don't know if Driscoll really believes this crap, or if it's just part of scaring his flock away from the outside world, or something in between. All the same, he's a douchebag.

I've mentioned my Fabio-adoring friend before; she was way way way into romance novels, and at least twice she got "convicted" of the sinfulness of reading them and asked my friends and I to help her get rid of her entire collection of of them. Once we burned them--but within a month she had a bookcase full of them again. My Evil Ex might have been a horrible person in every way, but he was also a gifted artist; he burned all his gorgeous work when he joined the church. It was tragic. Wendytwitch.gif But apparently "the world" was just too awful to keep in one's life if one had one's eyes fixed on God.

And yet all those gorgeous hymns I loved so much were just about all ripoffs of popular drinking songs.

Avatar demonic? Give me a break! This is just pure authoritarianism as practiced by the Nazis and Stalinists. The late, great Christopher Hitchens was right, Christianity is just like North Korea. The church in the UK is just as bad, you cannot watch this film, it's satanic, you cannot read that book, it has sex in it (shock of the century), you cannot listen to that band, the singer is homosexual and so on. :(

I think we all see in movies what we want to see. I saw Avatar as a blantant exposure of the way the white and "civilized" people infiltrated and tried to tame the Native tribes. Maybe Driscoll and I watched a different movie...

From his perspective, he thinks he is right to say that Avatar is demonic (or the most demonic movie ever). I see here people mentioning obviously "demonic" movies (horror movies, etc) and thinking, "How can Avatar compare to that?" But people like Mark Driscoll see the devil as some being that TEMPS people away from god and godly things. The devil supposedly appears as an "angel of light" in order to deceive those that are not aware of how the devil supposedly works. As such, a movie like Avatar, from Driscoll's perspective, would certainly be more "demonic" than The Exorcist or The House of 1000 Corpses because Avatar's beauty and message is ATTRACTIVE and COMPELLING. And since, from his perspective, the message does not attract or compel people TOWARD the god of the Bible, then it is demonic to the core.

No, Driscoll does not appear to be trolling. Crazy? Nuts? Yes. Trolling? No.