Goodbye Jesus

Comparative Religions Class At My Christian High School

Spike Spiegel

Yesterday, I participated in our first "debate." I was assigned to Islam, while the other groups were Christians and pluralists. Even though I took a Muslim position (not that I belive in Islam), I was able to rip the Christians apart. When I asked why God would send people he loves to hell, or why he blames us for "sinning" even though it's part of our nature that he allowed to be present anyway, or how they can place any validity in a man/God that we don't even call by the correct name (I said that the name "Jesus" is an Anglicized version of a Hellenized translation of a Hebrew name), they were dumbfounded. The teacher, who is a PHd/Doctor/whatever had to step in to keep their side from losing. I think he asked me how Muslims ascertain that the Bible is corrupted--not that I care, anyway. The questions I was able to ask and the answers (or lack thereof) I got have convinced me that I'm on the right path.

I'm not sure those are Muslim positions. I don't know a whole lot about Islam but their God is down with sending people to hell.

Yea, but you could argue Allah never pretends he loves them in the first place :P

You taking on the role of a Muslim in a classroom debate/experiment is the same sort of thing that actually got some people here thinking about Christianity's fall. Seeing a different religion not through the eyes of a Christian, but through the eyes of a member of that particular religion can really open things up. Good for you, and your teacher for encouraging such a project. It's things like that which can really break down walls.

Allah is definitely down with sending people to Hell. The Koran (or the Hadith, I forgot which one) says those who don't believe in Allah will be cast into Hell. Similar to the Christians.

As a devil's advocate point, "Allah" is not even a name. It's a title. It means "The God". So the Christians could easily counter your argument with your own argument. Plus there are multiple spellings/pronunciations of the Islamic founder Mohamed(Muhamed). So arguably, aren't they following a guy whose name they don't prounce correctly?

I think you got off track and your teacher was trying to get you back on track. He seems to be trying to get you to search for answers that are standard to Islamic theology. Your answers are more questioning/critical of Christianity than questioning Christianity from a Muslim point of view.

Allah is definitely down with sending people to Hell. The Koran (or the Hadith, I forgot which one) says those who don't believe in Allah will be cast into Hell. Similar to the Christians.

As a devil's advocate point, "Allah" is not even a name. It's a title. It means "The God". So the Christians could easily counter your argument with your own argument. Plus there are multiple spellings/pronunciations of the Islamic founder Mohamed(Muhamed). So arguably, aren't they following a guy whose name they don't prounce correctly?

I think you got off track and your teacher was trying to get you back on track. He seems to be trying to get you to search for answers that are standard to Islamic theology. Your answers are more questioning/critical of Christianity than questioning Christianity from a Muslim point of view.

That is a very important skill - to understand another's position well enough to argue, even if it isn't your position (or if you would adopt the opposite position).