Goodbye Jesus

What Day Or Event Signaled The Change From Ot Rules To Nt Rules?

Brakeman

What day or event signaled the change from OT rules to NT rules?

Was it the birth of christ, the start of his teachings, his death, or his resurrection?

What do the fundies claim?

What day or event signaled the change from OT rules to NT rules?

Was it the birth of christ, the start of his teachings, his death, or his resurrection?

What do the fundies claim?

By "rules" I'm assuming you mean the law.

The most common answer I've heard is that it was the death of Jesus.

However, while that answer is scripturally supported in the New Testament, there are verses that can be used to justify other answers.

None of it lines up with the Old Testament, where there is no replacing the law with a new set of rules.

I think most fundies would embrace Pauline theology which attributes the change to the cross. In other places in scripture, the resurrection is referenced to emphasize the change from the time of the Law to the time of grace.

Paul compared the transition from OT to NT (law to grace) to marriage:

Romans 7:1-4

1Do you not know, brothers—for I am speaking to men who know the law—that the law has authority over a man only as long as he lives? 2For example, by law a married woman is bound to her husband as long as he is alive, but if her husband dies, she is released from the law of marriage. 3So then, if she marries another man while her husband is still alive, she is called an adulteress. But if her husband dies, she is released from that law and is not an adulteress, even though she marries another man.

4So, my brothers, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit to God.

Colossians 2:13-15 is often cited though, strictly speaking, this passage does not apply to the transition from the NT to the OT.

13When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature,[a] God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, 14having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross. 15And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.

Hebrews 9:15 talks about how Christ's blood brings in a new covenant.

15For this reason Christ is the mediator of a new covenant, that those who are called may receive the promised eternal inheritance—now that he has died as a ransom to set them free from the sins committed under the first covenant.

Now, technically, Hebrews was not written by Paul. But most dyed in the wool, hard-core fundamentalists still maintain that Paul wrote Hebrews.

Of course I seem to recall Jesus saying that not one jot or iota of the law would go away till "all is accomplished" and I don't think he was talking about resurrection here.

It's a cop out claim that helps them squirrel out of real debate. They still follow OT rules where it suits them.

I think the paradigm shift came with Luther and Calvin, not Paul or any NT writers. The bible is like a horoscope. It's malleable. Xians aren't reading it objectively, there is no way they can. They have to pick and choose which parts fit their doctrine and ignore the rest. And none of them arrive at their conclusions in a vacuum.

Yeah, most would relate it to the crucifixion (or resurrection), but then again the bible has Jesus preaching things differently from the OT law before he was crucified, so a case could be made for Jesus' birth or the beginning of his ministry.

But then there's also this contradictory point:

Of course I seem to recall Jesus saying that not one jot or iota of the law would go away till "all is accomplished" and I don't think he was talking about resurrection here.

And he specified "till heaven and earth pass" (Matt 5:18), so it couldn't have meant the resurrection.

What was meant was to ignore all the OT laws, except for the 10 commandments, because they're super special and should be posted at all government buildings. Oh, and hate the gays too. But other than those...

mwc

I think it was the day the Catholic church got enough power to authorize murder, in the name of Jesus of course, to enforce the NT doctrine in the church.

Guest I Love Dog

As far as I can make out, there was a gap of about 300 years between the OT and the NT.

The Romans supervised the compilation of the NT in their move to establish the Roman Catholic Church as the One True Church with the One True God.

The Romans were having problems with the Jews, and the many Christian sects that were around. There were Christians before Jesus the Christ. Christos is Greek for messiah/savior and there were many Christian sects that had their own Christos. "Christ" wasn't the last name of Jesus, as many people think! He was actually Jesus a or the Christ/Christos

Many of the sects were fighting each other so the Romans, sick of the high maintenance of controlling all the various people and their religions and sects decided on the one religion. one god idea. Of course, the Romans themselves worshiped many gods, so it was a big lifestyle change for them and the Romans had to declare all other religions illegal(except for Judaism)and destroy many sects and people in their move for one Universal religion.

http://www.deism.com/bibleorigins.htm is a good place to start your research

Christos is Greek for messiah/savior and there were many Christian sects that had their own Christos. "Christ" wasn't the last name of Jesus, as many people think! He was actually Jesus a or the Christ/Christos

Actually, it's "anointed" or "rubbed" and unless someone let you in on the whole thing you would never think "messiah" in a million years. You might pun it to "chrestos" for "good" but otherwise you might just think "oily" or being rubbed on (since it was used with perfumes or with skim coats on roofs and things like that). So what you thought when you saw "Jesus Christ" could have been "Jesus the guy who rubs on things" for all I know. Jesus the Rubber. He'll save you from unwanted pregnancies. Glory! ;)

mwc