Goodbye Jesus

Are You God?

godsfavoritecolor

Anyone watch the 1972 movie, The Ruling Class, starring Peter O’toole this weekend? In it he plays a paranoid, schizophrenic who thinks he is God. There’s a classic exchange between him and the woman of the manor.

She: “How do you know you’re God?”

O’toole: “It’s simple. When I pray to Him, I find I’m talking to myself.”

Looking at theism from this standpoint, wouldn’t every theist be his own god? Seems correct to me.

I hear ya... if every theist must face that he IS indeed god... that is that the only experience of god he will ever know will be filtered thru his imagination then.. isn't it ironic that many atheists will tell a chrisitan or pantheist how arrogant they are if they claim oneness with god?

Well, I certainly feel I have godlike qualities... Maybe I am God!

Let's see.

Sick people come to me, and I heal them of their infirmities.

I give orders, and people obey them. Sometimes. And if they don't, sometimes they die.

I can walk on thin films of water.

I am always available (omnipresent via beeper).

I deal with sinners and saints equally.

I deal with the rich and the poor equally.

I'm beginning to think I'm god.

That reminds me of a joke, but it's too old to tell.

• Super Moderator
Are You God?

Why, yes I am. Thanks for asking.

But that's nothing. You should meet my doG.

Well, I certainly feel I have godlike qualities... Maybe I am God!

If you are anything like your Lila avatar, you MUST be God. Space-Babe of note - how could we have missed this?

Are You God?

Why, yes I am. Thanks for asking.

But that's nothing. You should meet my doG.

And you should meet my only begotten Son - he calls himself "Spawn of Stevo" :grin:

Wicked post bro florduh - as always.

• Super Moderator

Wicked post bro florduh - as always.

Bless you, my son.

Anyone watch the 1972 movie, The Ruling Class, starring Peter O’toole this weekend? In it he plays a paranoid, schizophrenic who thinks he is God. There’s a classic exchange between him and the woman of the manor.

She: “How do you know you’re God?”

O’toole: “It’s simple. When I pray to Him, I find I’m talking to myself.”

Looking at theism from this standpoint, wouldn’t every theist be his own god? Seems correct to me.

I love that movie! Coming from a fundy family, when it first came out I was the only one in the family that got the humor. Everyone else looked perplexed. I was rolling across the floor in hysterics!

That's precisely what's going on. God is a projection of the imagination; nothing more.

Although....my cat would likely beg to differ.

I could never be God. I'm just too soft hearted and kind. I feel guilty for just saying something nasty to someone, so I could never kill anyone, let alone torture them for all eternity. I'm just not that hard hearted and evil.

I could never be God. I'm just too soft hearted and kind. I feel guilty for just saying something nasty to someone, so I could never kill anyone, let alone torture them for all eternity. I'm just not that hard hearted and evil.

Brilliant point. If by "God" the OC meant the God of the Bible, then I guess none of us would qualify. If the OC meant the God of Christianity (who seems to have very little to do with the God of the Bible), then none of us would qualify either because all the atheists I know are compassionate, intelligent, and honest. If the OC meant "we don't answer to a higher (imaginary) authority", then yes, that would qualify me as a god of my own volition.

You bet I'm God. The one and only. I've said it before. It's about damn time you've all recognized it...

Oh, but now that's done and I'm "revealed" I'm afraid your free will is magically gone. Sorry about that. Well then I suppose you have no choice but to worship me against my will I guess. Seems none of us can be happy with this arrangement. So get to worshiping me robots and I'll get to resenting you for it.

mwc

Well then I suppose you have no choice but to worship me against my will I guess. Seems none of us can be happy with this arrangement. So get to worshiping me robots and I'll get to resenting you for it.

mwc

That's why you need a Mediator.

But you've got something seriously confused. My Dog knows beyond a doubt that I'm the One and Only True God™. All others are mere imitators and copycats--which my Dog HATES with a vengeance. That is why dogs around the world have taken a secret vow to eliminate the planet of felines, in case someone didn't know. No offense to cat-lovers but that's the way dogs are. As the One and Only True God™ I know this.:wicked:

For those ex-Christians here who have claimed to be (capital G) God ( the Bible one and/or Christian one), I'm sorry. You cannot be God, you can only be ex-God (unless you have multiple personality disorder).

Of course, if you are now a Muslim, you may be Allah, but not God. Or if you are a Zeusian, you may be Zeus. Or if you are a FSMian, you may be the FSM. You may be a god but you are no longer God.

• Super Moderator
For those ex-Christians here who have claimed to be (capital G) God ( the Bible one and/or Christian one), I'm sorry. You cannot be God, you can only be ex-God (unless you have multiple personality disorder).

I AM omnipotent and may do as I please. I didn't write your fucking Bible so don't try to castrate me with that load of meadow muffins.

- God

I AM omnipotent and may do as I please. I didn't write your fucking Bible so don't try to castrate me with that load of meadow muffins.

- God

Well, EXCUUUSE ME! for contradicting your omnipotenceness. Please, no thunderbolts!

Refresh my memory.

Didn't they do some FMRI tests on the brain?

Researchers asked subjects (A.) questions about what another person might say about an issue. One area of the subjects' brains lit up.

Then, (B.) asked the subjects what they thought about a series of issues. Another area of the brain lit up.

Then, they asked the subjects what they thought God would say about an issue. The same area of the brain as in (B.) lit up. Implying that the god center and the self centers of the brain are the same.

So, "I am God" is a neurologically supported statement.

I think I heard about the study either from an audiobook presentation of "The Ego Tunnel" or from a "Atheist Experience" podcast.

"Religion is society worshiping itself."

-Emile Durkheim

motivator1daa30673f373b.jpg

Why yes, I am Athena. :P