Goodbye Jesus

Manuscripts: Bible Vs Gallic Wars And Illiad Etc.

ColorMixer

Hey everyone,

Sorry if this is not the correct forum (not sure where to post if I want to discuss various religious arguments). I've been looking at various arguments back and forth, and one of the big ones I hear a lot is how the bible has tons and tons of manuscripts compared to other ancient books, like Caesar's Gallic Wars, the Illiad, plato's dialogues etc.

Do anyone have any good resources where I could examine this more? I wasn't able to find anything doing quick internet searches either dealing with these arguments or websites and such specifically dealing with textual criticsm of The Gallic Wars for example.

I'm no historian but I seriously doubt the claim. For instance, The Gallic Wars lasted from 58 BCE to 51BCE. Thats a whopping 8 years. The bible does contain 50-some books, many of which are fairly short, but it is supposed to cover thousands of years.

The sum total of all ancient (and fairly trustworthy) works greatly outnumbers the few dozen books of the bible. And don't forget The Library of Alexandria. It no doubt had thousands of different works.

In a similar note, I'm currently reading Anabasis by Xenophon, one of the original first-person accounts of war. It's quite interesting from a historical perspective.

Guest Valkyrie0010

From what I understand, the 98 point something or rather is something out of Bruce Metzger's mouth.

Now this may be true, but it irrelevant.

Now I am doing this from memory you should look it up

There are no full manuscripts before the 2nd century.

Things could easily have been added between 33 ad and sometime in the second century.

A question that I have always had, is if the true scriptures where so widely circulated, then why did the splinter heretic groups, start so quickly. There had to be some changes as far as I am concerned. Might be wrong.....

Right, I want to look it up, just wondering if anyone has come across any good resources.

Guest Valkyrie0010

One source that just popped into my head was the Phil Fernandes and Robert Price debate on the infidel guy show