Goodbye Jesus

Contradictions About God's Nature

OnceConvinced

I know that similar arguments to these have been brought up a lot in the past, but I'd just like to put my spin on it...

The bible tells us several things about God and its followers will insist these things to be so. It tells us that God is loving, just, forgiving, merciful, all-powerful and all-knowing. Which brings up a lot of questions, one of them being, how can God be all of these? To be one in many cases means you cannot be the other.

God created the world, yet put nothing in place to prevent sin from entering. He created the devil and the devil ran rampant. God made no changes to his design and put in no contingencies for these eventualities. So how can he be considered all-knowing? If God did know these things would happen, but let them happen anyway, then how can he be considered loving and just? And if he couldn't do anything because he'd already set the ball rolling and couldn't break his own rules, how can he be considered all-powerful?

God is all-powerful. He could feed the hungry. He could easily stop people from causing suffering to others. But he doesn't. Why? Because he expects others to do it for him and he will not violate anyone's freewill. But if this is the case, then how can he be considered just, loving and merciful?

God is so loving that he gave his only son to die on the cross for our sins, thus saving us from an eternity in Hell. He is just because he sends those to Hell who deserve it. But the majority of mankind will end up in Hell because they don't repent. If that is the case, how can God be considered merciful and forgiving? If God will send us to Hell to suffer for all eternity for finite crimes, then how can it be considered just? And if God created many humans and being all-knowing, knew that the majority would end up in Hell, but created them anyway, how can he be considered loving? If God is unable to save these people without a blood sacrifice and without them acknowledging that sacrifice, or he is so holy that he can't be in the presence of sin, then how can he be all-powerful?

God could be considered loving, just and merciful if he created the world without knowing the ramifications of his actions. But that would make God ignorant and far from all-knowing.

God could be considered just for sending people to Hell, but it would show a lack of forgiveness, mercy and love if he sends the majority of his creations there.

God could be considered loving and merciful for sending his son to die on the cross for us (if we could excuse the obvious lack of love for his own son). But it would mean he is not all-powerful in that he could find no less barbaric and primitive method to redeem us.

God could be considered all-knowing if he knows all future events. However if he does not act to prevent future evil, then he cannot be considered just, loving and merciful. He can only be considered apathetic or malevolent.

God could be considered all-powerful if there is indeed nothing he cannot do. But if he stands by and allows evil to happen, then he cannot be considered loving, just or merciful. He can only be considered complacent, indifferent or even malevolent.

How about this one...

Can God create a boulder so big that he himself cannot lift?

If yes, then there's something he cannot do. If no, then again, there's something he cannot do! :scratch:

Another thing that seems to contradict the idea that God is all-knowing: In my religion class, we learned a Hebrew word, nicham, that's used in the Bible when God changes his mind (usually about punishing someone--for example, God was supposedly nichaming when he didn't kill Adam and Eve for touching the forbidden tree). Problem is, if he knows everything that's ever going to happen, what's with the need to change his mind in the first place? Unless he planned to change his mind ahead of time, which seems pretty pointless.

not to mention his apparent approval of slavery.

• 8 months later...

I like this scripture:

According to the Bible I am to believe that human kind is sinful for Adam and Eve ate the fruit of knowledge. Why are we being punished for the original sin? After all, they ate the forbidden fruit, we didn’t. Reason would lead one to say it’s their problem, not ours. Even the bible contradicts itself by claiming in Deuteronomy 24:16, “children shall not be punished for the sins of their fathers.” ??????????????? :fun:

You know, I always wondered - If Adam and Eve were the only 2 that were in the garden (besides the talking snake) Who was the stenographer that stood outside the garden and took down the whole acccount???? :scratch: :scratch:

Genesis 9:6 - Don't kill people. Genesis 22 - Kill your own son. Jeremiah 32:35 - Sacrificing your children is something that never entered my mind. Hebrews 10:10 - Sacrificing my son is how people are made holy.