Goodbye Jesus

Astronomers Find 90% More Universe!

chefranden

Then there are the unprovable assertions that would require an unprecedented rewrite of science and would require that the laws of physics change dramatically over the course of time.

Funny they didn't do probability estimates on the likelihood of physics changing.

Yes. And funny how they keep trying to change science to fit their doctrine, instead of changing their doctrine to fit science. Physics is constant, but as our observation of the universe increases, and we obtain more data, our view of those physical laws changes. Scientists are constantly upgrading and reviewing the way they think, each new theory begging to be corrected and revamped by other scientists as research is conducted. But the Bible remains constant - the unchanging Word of God - no matter how much BS is uncovered in it.

And funny how they keep trying to change science to fit their doctrine, instead of changing their doctrine to fit science.

But the True ChristiansTMcan't alter their belief in the bible due to scientific (aka "man's") understanding of the world. That would be blasphemy! ;)

Scientists are constantly upgrading and reviewing the way they think, each new theory begging to be corrected and revamped by other scientists as research is conducted. But the Bible remains constant - the unchanging Word of God - no matter how much BS is uncovered in it.

While scientists seek truth to gain a better understanding of the world, unfortunately all the True ChristiansTM can see is that scientists keep changing their minds. To them, the scientists keep finding errors in their views, so there's no reason to believe that what scientists currently believe to be true isn't erroneous. The holey buybull, though, came from gawd almighty, who knows infinitely more than those erroneous scientists, and the buybull doesn't change. So the True ChristianTMhas to trust the buybull over science. You know, the good ol' drawing conclusions first rather than examining the evidence with an open mind....

While scientists seek truth to gain a better understanding of the world, unfortunately all the True ChristiansTM can see is that scientists keep changing their minds. To them, the scientists keep finding errors in their views, so there's no reason to believe that what scientists currently believe to be true isn't erroneous. The holey buybull, though, came from gawd almighty, who knows infinitely more than those erroneous scientists, and the buybull doesn't change. So the True ChristianTMhas to trust the buybull over science. You know, the good ol' drawing conclusions first rather than examining the evidence with an open mind....

Julia Sweeney, in her show Letting Go Of God, says something like: Wouldn't it be great if the Pope stood on his podium one day and said - "Sorry y'all, we actually got it wrong" - you know, destroy the church in one act of sheer honesty. :lmao:

And the Wholly Babble - one fine day it will be simply another ancient document for academics to marvel at the mythology and senselessly cruel society of yesteryear.

And the Wholly Babble - one fine day it will be simply another ancient document for academics to marvel at the mythology and senselessly cruel society of yesteryear.

Incidentally, once I was browsing through a book about mythology at a local bookstore and I kept thinking that christianity deserves to be covered in the book. But, of course, there would be a huge outcry and boycott if that were done, so I can see why publishers would want to refrain from including christianity in a general book on mythology that would otherwise be marketable to an audience including christians.

Incidentally, once I was browsing through a book about mythology at a local bookstore and I kept thinking that christianity deserves to be covered in the book. But, of course, there would be a huge outcry and boycott if that were done, so I can see why publishers would want to refrain from including christianity in a general book on mythology that would otherwise be marketable to an audience including christians.

I have two treasured books in my personal library, both published by Prometheus Books: The Myth of the Resurrection and other essays by Joseph McCabe, and The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Christian Myth by John M Allegro. Needless to say I didn't buy them at Maranatha Books or the local book store LOL. Aaah but one day ....

That reminds me that once when I was in high school in my English class, we were studying mythology and I had used a book on mythology for an assignment we had to do and they had Christianity listed as a mythology in the book. I think they were using the word myth in the academic sense of the word where myth just means story but I remember I was still a Christian then and I remember feeling slightly offended that the book had classified Christianity as a myth.

That reminds me that once when I was in high school in my English class, we were studying mythology and I had used a book on mythology for an assignment we had to do and they had Christianity listed as a mythology in the book. I think they were using the word myth in the academic sense of the word where myth just means story but I remember I was still a Christian then and I remember feeling slightly offended that the book had classified Christianity as a myth.

Somewhere in my library is a book on Creation Myths. The Judeo-Christian myth is included, but there is an introductory section where they "distinguish" between the myths of other cultures and the Judeo-Christian one.

It was a sop to Christians, but quite frankly after reading the other myths and then finally the Christian one, it was clear that the latter belonged in that book. Def-def-definitely.

That's cool that some would include it. When I was a believer I would have been more than slightly offended by it, so I can see why other books avoid it.

That's cool that some would include it. When I was a believer I would have been more than slightly offended by it, so I can see why other books avoid it.

My college's World Civilizations textbook goes even further than that. Like the textbook says that the Israelites were originally polytheists and monotheism developed in Judaism later. It also goes into the history of how Zoroastrianism influenced later Jewish and Christian beliefs and it flat out states the bible is not historically accurate and that oral tradition was unreliable.

My college's World Civilizations textbook goes even further than that. Like the textbook says that the Israelites were originally polytheists and monotheism developed in Judaism later. It also goes into the history of how Zoroastrianism influenced later Jewish and Christian beliefs and it flat out states the bible is not historically accurate and that oral tradition was unreliable.

That's cool. Is this the book you're talking about?

It is also still subject to the limitations of our ability to detect things. The Hubble Telescope has the ability to detect galaxies as distant as 14 billion light years away, but in order to do so it uses gravitational lensing.

You know, I often wonder what is there now. Is there now life in those galaxies that we are looking at from a snapshot of 14 billion years ago or has it vanished all together?

It is also still subject to the limitations of our ability to detect things. The Hubble Telescope has the ability to detect galaxies as distant as 14 billion light years away, but in order to do so it uses gravitational lensing.

You know, I often wonder what is there now. Is there now life in those galaxies that we are looking at from a snapshot of 14 billion years ago or has it vanished all together?

I don't know about 14 billion years ago, but I am currently in telepathic contact with them now.

Ommmmmm...

They say, "Hello."

Thanks. I put it in my wishlist. Maybe if I ever get rich I'll buy it. ;)

90%! Wow! I had not realized any was missing! I would have looked sooner.

I don't know about 14 billion years ago, but I am currently in telepathic contact with them now.

Ommmmmm...

They say, "Hello."

:HaHa:

If the article par referenced turns out to be true, well, I think maybe Poe was right when he wrote:

All that we see or seem

Is but a dream within a dream.

Mindblowing...