Goodbye Jesus

Anyone been for a debate on a fundy site?

DaveL

Hi Guys,

Has anyone ever been for a debate on a fundy website? How was it? What sort

of reception do you get (actually speaking common sense). Does the word

YOU'LL GO TO HELL, I'll PRAY FOR YOU or YOU WERE A MEMBER OF THE WRONG CHURCH get mentioned?

Would you be likely to expect a quote or three from the bible by any chance? Wow, that would be totally original wouldn't it!

Are there any good ones (bwahhahahahahahaha) worth visiting for debating?

Cheers,

Dave

Welllll.....I would expect the same old, same old.......you can't reason with unreasonable.

I know a few, but honestly, I don't really know if it's worth wasting the time. Usually once they get the idea that you are only there to argue things, they just start deleting your posts or ban you. (so much for having a conversation, right? LOL)

I don't know if you've done it before, but usually you would have to start off kinda nice so you will get listened to before the arguing starts. Know what I mean?

:tongue:

Dave, I've never really participated in a formal debate at a christian forum. But I have debated a lot, and it's not all like that. The people there have the stupidest arguments though.

Never posted to a Christian fundie site, and I plan to keep it that way.

Never posted to a Christian fundie site, and I plan to keep it that way.

oh...but it's so much fun!

It really can be fun. Like yesterday, someone claimed that America was founded on religious oppression because the puritans. :eek:

Guest Peyton

christianforums.com is enough for me.

I've seen people sign up as Agnostics, move across to Deism and before you know it they're attending church. Whether they wish to admit it or not, there is a lot of subliminal steering going on there.

Guest RichStPete

I was banned from the catholic forums for asking relevent questions about the catholic faith. I was also banned from a christian web site for asking about prayer. I live a couple of miles from the whole Terri Schivo debacle. I asked them that their bible tells them that if you believe in jebus that your prayers will be answered. Apparently their prayers to keep Terri alive were not answered. I told them I didn't want to here the argument that it was god's will. My question was., If its god's will and it's going to happen anyway what is the purpose of prayer? Why waste your time? No responses............ then I got banned.... Hope I put doubt in their minds..... who knows maybe some of them will turn up on here..... :shrug:

I was banned from the catholic forums for asking relevent questions about the catholic faith.  I was also banned from a christian web site for asking about prayer.  I live a couple of miles from the whole Terri Schivo debacle. I asked them that their bible tells them that if you believe in jebus that your  prayers will be answered.  Apparently their prayers to keep Terri alive were not answered.  I told them I didn't want to here the argument that it was god's will. My question was., If its god's will and it's going to happen anyway what is the purpose of prayer? Why waste your time?  No responses............ then I got banned.... Hope I put doubt in their minds..... who knows maybe some of them will turn up on here.....  :shrug:

I doubt it..if they banned you, they are not open to anything outside of "their" thoughts and beliefs.

I've been banned three times from one site (yeah..why did I go back after the first? Answer that to satisfaction and I'll worship you as god :lmao: )

Went back a fourth time so I could delete my own account, thankyouverymuch..

Of course, my bannings had nothing to do with the board itself or anything I posted there, but something I posted elsewhere which is really asinine..but that's the fundies for ya! Control ya everywhere..

I am considering debating some folks like J.P. Holding or some other folks on TheologyWeb when a lot of time frees up. As soon as I get a new computer at home I will probably engage in some debates as soon as my midterms are over and I complete my writing projects.

Matthew

I was banned from the catholic forums for asking relevent questions about the catholic faith.  I was also banned from a christian web site for asking about prayer.  I live a couple of miles from the whole Terri Schivo debacle. I asked them that their bible tells them that if you believe in jebus that your  prayers will be answered.  Apparently their prayers to keep Terri alive were not answered.  I told them I didn't want to here the argument that it was god's will. My question was., If its god's will and it's going to happen anyway what is the purpose of prayer? Why waste your time?  No responses............ then I got banned.... Hope I put doubt in their minds..... who knows maybe some of them will turn up on here.....  :shrug:

That's why posting on fundie forums is generally a waste of time. In the old days, the church burned all of the works it could get its hands on, of anyone who discredited their lies and fallacious dogma. They are not about to let posters do the same thing. The sheeple must be taught how to hate and discriminate and be kept in abject ignorance and superstition abou the "inerrant word" of biblegod, so they can be fleeced.

Let's face it, if fundie dogma about "laying hands on the sick and they shall recover" were true, Schiavo would never have lain there in a PVS for 15 years, now would she?

Whether or not we get banned from Xtian boards is not the immediate concern. The immediate concern is whether insane religionists will once again take over everything (they are already making progress on this through their unholy alliance with the Bush administration). If they do, you'll see these devils once again engage in beheadings, and burning people at the stake, etc., right after church on Sunday afternoon, just like "the good old days"....

K

it definitely is a waste of time. But it's fun to fuck with them.

I enjoy CF because theres a lot of diversity there. Its not all fundy there.

Debates on fundie sites are annoying. The difference between a debate on a fundie board and a debate here is that the mod will step in and give you a warning for misbehavior if you happen to be winning an argument.

Or they'll just IP block you if you happen to be embarrassing your theist opponent, like what Trib Forces did to me when I was having my discussion to California governor hopeful, Dr. Jason Gastrich, BA, MA, Th.D.

That's why posting on fundie forums is generally a waste of time...

Awesome post!!

I was banned from the catholic forums for asking relevent questions about the catholic faith.  I was also banned from a christian web site for asking about prayer.  I live a couple of miles from the whole Terri Schivo debacle...

Hey, a home slice! I live very close to where that whole fiasco was too.....

Debates on fundie sites are annoying.  The difference between a debate on a fundie board and a debate here is that the mod will step in and give you a warning for misbehavior if you happen to be winning an argument.

Or they'll just IP block you if you happen to be embarrassing your theist opponent, like what Trib Forces did to me when I was having my discussion to California governor hopeful, Dr. Jason Gastrich, BA, MA, Th.D.

That's terrible Neil! You can't go there at all?

Merlin

Yeah, I finally figured out that it was an IP block. I actually hit a page that told me so while I was trying to find my conversation with Jason to post it on JCSM Watch.

Thanks Guys,

It was great to know some of you have actually

debated fundies. I've largely avoided Christians for some time

now until recently - I now work with a couple.

The words and thoughts of this site are empowering and

the temptation to apply our common sense on a fundy forum

is probably not worth our valuable service provider time.

I gave 26 years of my life to the Catholic Church and

the though of giving these people another second of my time

makes me want to puke.

Cheers,

DaveL

The only Xtian forum I registered on since I turned Atheist was the infamous Tribbies. I am not afraid of Xtian forums but i never post on them unless, it's realy worthy of me.

I gave 26 years of my life to the Catholic Church and

the though of giving these people another second of my time

makes me want to puke.

Cheers,

DaveL

Yay, Dave! Welcome. I too grew up Catholic, and share your feelings.

Guest Peyton

Try these:-

BBC religion messageboards

The Christian Topic is hellish (no pun intended), you cannot say anything even vaguely critical of Christianity without being set upon by the Christians there. There must be a Christian bias with the Mods because most of my opinions are pulled, no matter how well thought out whereas insults and sarcasm from the Christians are nearly always allowed to stay.

Guest MetaBud

I've debated on several fundi christian sites. the most memoriable was the LeftBehind boards. Now they had gone through several iterations. I first appeared as JC666 and was soon banned although I was asking and acting streightforward. After several iterations of 6J6C6 or 666JC or whatever, I became IamLight on these boards.

Finally Tynsdale moved the management of their forums over to a third party and I got to know the Admin pretty well. She was not a fundi christian. And she eventually made me a Mod. One day I showed up with Mod status and the fundi's freaked. They swore Satan himself as invaded there board and several bailed.

There have been several spinoffs if anyone is interested. So yes, I guess for the last 4 or 5 years I been debating fundi christians.

One thing I have notice is just how down right nasty the very hardcore fundlementalist can get. I mean telling lies and inuendo's about the "non Christians" or "lukewarms".

I really don't understand the point of debating fundies. They aren't going to seriously consider your views, and you already know what they think. No offense to those who do debate them, but I just don't get it.