Goodbye Jesus

Christian Holiday - Excuse To Evangelize

Deva

OK Easter is here - whoop de dooo dah.

Now I get an e-mail from my mother - "Happy Easter - Jesus rose from the dead."

That is it - that was the message. Wow - news to me. I have only heard it my entire life.

My parents are too old to change and they will never convince me that this supposed event ever occurred. They know I am not a believer but do not know I am a Buddhist. Should I pull the stops out and tell them everything?

Stuff like this is temping me to do so especially since I have told them previously to lay off sending me tracts. My mother stopped doing that so I thought she got the message. Guess not. They will never stop trying to convert me because they think I am hellbound -- I hate that part of the Christian religion.

Guest Net Eng

OK Easter is here - whoop de dooo dah.

...and I didn't even get presents this morning from the zombie jeebus :huh:

I got a xian tract via email from one of my coworkers last. In my corporate email!! I'm not going to bust him... this time. But I know if I sent a rebuttal he'd start something with my boss (obviously self-destructive but he's a True Christiantm).

<sigh>, I'll wish you a happy non-religious 4th of April Deva !!

I hear you. Easter is apparently just one more occasion for some Christians to smile at you while drawing bloody lines in the sand. Especially on Facebook, where the bullshit just fulminates from the news feed. And you don't want to be a dick and comment something like 'Don't we usually shoot the undead?' etc., but it's so tempting when your entire feed is spouting and touting the undead love of 'the christ.'

Anyway I hear ya.

• Super Moderator

Ya know how sometimes you can read something wrong? Happens to me all the time, sometimes with funny results.

As I drove by a church yesterday I glanced at their sign. To me it read, "The Sow Is Risen."

Went home and had some bacon.

Personally, I probably wouldn't respond to an email that just said, "Happy Easter - Jesus rose from the dead." I'd delete it and go on about my business.

Now, if it would have included much more, I may have felt compelled to respond, but as it is I wouldn't bother.

But that's just me....

It's driving me nuts that I get on facebook and every other status update is "He is risen!" Or some emotional monologue about how "Every time I sin, I am nailing Christ to the cross. It was because of MY sin that he died, I'm such an awful sinner and I don't deserve..."

blah blah blah

Personally, I probably wouldn't respond to an email that just said, "Happy Easter - Jesus rose from the dead." I'd delete it and go on about my business.

Now, if it would have included much more, I may have felt compelled to respond, but as it is I wouldn't bother.

But that's just me....

Oh yeah, I'm easy, no reply this time. Must be difficult thinking your children are going to hell. But if I start getting tracts in the mail again...

Seriously, it helps me to get it out here on this site.

It's driving me nuts that I get on facebook and every other status update is "He is risen!" Or some emotional monologue about how "Every time I sin, I am nailing Christ to the cross. It was because of MY sin that he died, I'm such an awful sinner and I don't deserve..."

blah blah blah

Yes the Facebook comes alive with Jeebus right now. Thats why I decided to get away from the computer earlier this morning.

Two funny church signs that I've seen this week:

"Thank God He Is Risen!"

"You Want A Sign From God? Here It Is!"

"Holy Week" has been a source of much woe for me...I am still living with my fundy Pentecostal mother(it's my senior year of high school; I hope to attend college in the fall), and she's taken this time to get more "involved" with her church. She claims that something about the pastor is making her "love" everyone and everything about the movement (in other words, she's falling deeper into the chasm of the cult).

This particular church had an Easter production that had three showings, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. She let me stay home Friday and Saturday, but I was forced to attend Sunday's showing because the admission was free. The sickening thing was that she truly believed that I enjoyed this play that I had already seen so many times (I had even played a Roman soldier the first year that they did it), and that it had encouraged my "faith." She hasnt seen the fact that I have evolved beyond fundamentalism and all of its bullshit--I'm content with going for walks, reading manga and watching anime, hanging out with friends...the things that normal people do. But for her, there's only the church. She doesn't understand why I don't think about religion and Christianity as compulsively as she does. I was teeling her today about a comic I'd read, and she cut me off to say, "And what'd you read in the "holy book" today?" She's become more and more reclusive and obsessive about this stuff over the years, and the Easter holiday is making things worse at my house.

Why can't these people see the shitty lives that they are forcing themselves to live?

My mom still gives me salvation pleas, complete with tears at times. She honestly fears for my eternal soul. My step-mother used to email me lots of patriotic god-spam, but has stopped. Now she does these weird copy and paste facebook rant/declarations; if you love your god/sister/mother, then copy this to your profile, blah blah blah...but yes, the holidays seems to bring out the worst of it.

I just ignore it now. At least the emails I could just delete without even reading them. The salvation messages I handle a little more delicately because I know that my mothers heart is in the right place and she is genuinely frightened for me. She gets a lot of comfort and meaning from her faith so I just let it be and let her think that I'm not closed to the idea and leave it at that.

The facebook crap is just bizarre. My daughters (one is a deist, the other is agnostic, I believe) and I have started to discuss our more liberal political beliefs on facebook. My daughter posted a link to zombie Jesus for easter on her facebook page. That might put my step-mother over the edge. It'll be interesting. Step mom gets more vitriolic in her facebook declarations when her beliefs are challenged in any way.

I hate that about religion, too, the fact that Christianity has to coerce its followers into joining with threats of eternal damnation. I think that's what drives a lot of it, they are genuinely fearful for us.

It's times like this I'm thankful my parents aren't vocal about their religion (my mom feels it's like "showing off your underwear drawer" if you discuss religion, yes, that's exactly how she described it.) and that I made NO friends at the fundie school I was at. The closest my sister came to a religious declaration via facebook was a couple of days ago. One of the kids she worked with at a camp for disabled kids drowned in a hotel pool, and she said "God takes the good ones!" I kind of wanted to say something snarky, but that would have been cruel, even for me.

Every once in a while, my dad will send some right wing "God and country" email that I usually delete without opening. I doubt he even knows he's doing it, just blanket forwarding or something.

• Super Moderator
"showing off your underwear drawer"

I'd like to use that when someone asks what church do I attend. I'll say I don't discuss by beliefs and neither should they because it's like "showing off your underwear drawer". That should shut them up.

I'd like to use that when someone asks what church do I attend. I'll say I don't discuss by beliefs and neither should they because it's like "showing off your underwear drawer". That should shut them up.

So what would happen if a sexy Christian girl asked to see your underwear drawer?

• Super Moderator

She'd have to pray about it. On her knees.