Goodbye Jesus

Westboro Baptist Church

cobrakai

I don't think you're off base at all, Cobrakai. The whole idea of Christians shunning other Christians for not being "real" leaves a very sour taste in my mouth. It's a cop out to sniff and snort and pretend you aren't actually associated with the meanie Christians you don't agree with. Westboro isn't wrong. They are portraying EXACTLY what what Christians who are against homosexuality are thinking and what is DIRECTLY stated in the Bible.

WBC parading around with their signs and Christians quietly voting against gay marriage on their ballots within their own homes are exactly the same. No Christians, you don't get to pretend other Christians aren't "real" when they bear that incredibly ugly script that is written in your own holy book. You don't get a pass when you sniff at WBC and then turn right around and say that homosexuality is wrong yourself.

How do you get up and preach from your rooftops that good book and not get bad PR?

Step One: build a HUGE fucking church that looks like a cross between an indoor arena and a shopping mall.

Step Two: preach while wearing a Hawaiian shirt and a goatee. Form a soft rock band--or whatever the 21st equivalent of that shit is, like John Mayer or Coldplay--out of professional musicians.

Step Three: dress up the brutal shit in an outer saccharine layer of hippy dippy "God is Love" shit.

Guest Babylonian Dream
Step One: build a HUGE fucking church that looks like a cross between an indoor arena and a shopping mall.

Step Two: preach while wearing a Hawaiian shirt and a goatee. Form a soft rock band--or whatever the 21st equivalent of that shit is, like John Mayer or Coldplay--out of professional musicians.

Step Three: dress up the brutal shit in an outer saccharine layer of hippy dippy "God is Love" shit.

Good point.

I only wish more human beings weren't buying into it.

Have you ever read Addicted to Hate: The Fred Phelps Story ? It's a sad, often disgusting read. But some of his abused kids (now adults) actually escaped from the family. They had a horrific childhood. I imagine the current generation of kids endures similar abuse.

http://englishatheist.org/indexz27.shtml

thanx for that link - I just stayed up til 4 am reading that. Not sure if I can believe every single factoid - since I question everything - but even if this article is 80% true - Phelps needs to be institutionalized permanently. Shoulda been long ago.

I do find it a cop-out to say WBC isn't a "real christian" church. Christianity is full of hate, and plenty of baptist churches tacitly support that hate without acting like psychos and picketing the funerals of soldiers. I think that is what pisses the most people off, not that they hate gays or Jews. Plenty of christians quietly despise gays and Jews, but would NEVER deride the soldiers. Doing so is an admittedly extreme logical conclusion to being in a "sinful nation", but it is the logical conclusion to living in a nation that accepts "sinners." There are "christian" congregations that accept homosexuals, but they are pretty much ignoring the Hebrew texts and Paul. I think Shy is right, the statements WBC uses SHOULD be thrown in the faces of the mainstream preachers when they speak against certain groups.

The only reason WBC disgusts me more than most churches is that they picket funerals. That's just the most cruel, tasteless, and insensitive thing to do to ANYONE. The families should be allowed to shoot them.