Goodbye Jesus

What Do You Dislike Most About Christianity?

Che

What is the one thing about Christianity that you dislike the most? Not the actual belief in silly stories, people believe just about anything but the way it influences people or society. For me it how Christianity makes people think that they are less than dirt and deserve eternal damnation, except for the grace of superman god.

• Super Moderator

The cognitive dissonance of its followers.

Being told that to be a good Christian I must be happy all the time no matter what my circumstances are, but it was ok for God to be angry because he's God and has a reason to be angry all the time.

Fat, white, sweaty, condescending preachers.

62029-fat-preacher.jpg

Being told that unbelievers have no sense of morality and no meaning in their lives.

Being told I'm going to hell for not believing.

A casual acceptance of absolute nonsense by otherwise rational people.

The lie that god is love when the bible says he is absolute evil.

Being told Jesus loves me. That would be necrohomophilia.

Being told I cannot understand the bible because I am not reading it with spiritual eyes.

Their casual lies about atheists and the Stalin-Hitler-Pol Pot-Mao nonsense.

The pope. Paedo-loving Dracula lookalike.

Apologetics (liars for god).

Money grubbing, lying, con men preachers ( e.g. Benny Hinn, Pat Robertson, that Osteen dude...)

it turns some people into self-righteous assholes

its use of fear to control its people

little accountability for its actions

Two things:

1. The hell thing. That's just all kinds of fucked up.

2. The asceticism thing. No pussy? No weed? No booze? FUCK THAT!!!

The asceticism thing. No pussy? No weed? No booze? FUCK THAT!!!

I hear ya on that one...

The condescending attitudes that they speak for god and all the rest of us should shut up and take their words for it! No one speaks for god.

This attitude that Christians have that no matter what you may achieve in your life, how happy you may be, how good a person you are -- all this means nothing if you don't have Jesus as your personal savior.

I am sure that this becomes something terrible for Christian parents when their children do not believe.

A close second is the whole "I am born totally depraved" attitude which the wonderful Apostle Paul gifted us with.

Oh, and wait a minute, there is also the whole attitude toward divorced women or single older women. This made it impossible for me to go back to church even if I wanted to. You think in general the attitude toward women in Christianity sucks, yes you would be right, but hey - Wow - she doesn't have a man, she's in middle age, geee whiz how does she even survive? Poor thing. You may think that we got over that in the 60s but if you do, you just need to visit a fundamentalist Baptist Church. If you don't have a husband or children, you are suspect and lowest of the low.

Actually of these three things, I am not sure which one I hate the most!

The pedophilia and the rape by church leaders.

The sense of superiority as "God's people."

The potato chip tuna casserole at church potlucks.

The Christian apologetics defending the idea of Yahweh's justice in cursing people.

The divisiveness of it (and this applies to any religion, not just christianity)

Whether it's ripping apart families, dividing communities, or causing wars, religion is always dividing people.

"Eleven o'clock Sunday morning is the most segregated hour in America." - MLK

• Super Moderator
The potato chip tuna casserole at church potlucks.

Amen, brother. I forgot that one.

Being told that unbelievers have no sense of morality and no meaning in their lives.

That has got to be the most frustrating thing that comes up when speaking with fundies. I find it hard to get across to them why they are wrong. I think that it does not matter what you say. They are taught that no god = no morals.

They also find it hard to distinguish between the meaning OF life and the meaning FOR life.

The asceticism thing. No pussy? No weed? No booze? FUCK THAT!!!

I hear ya on that one...

I don't smoke weed, but without the other two... What’s the point?

The misogyny.

The homophobia.

The ability to explain or justify anything by using the phrase "god says so". (That goes for any religion, really.)

The denigration of sexuality.

The doctrine of hell and homophobia.

Being told that to be a good Christian I must be happy all the time no matter what my circumstances are, but it was ok for God to be angry because he's God and has a reason to be angry all the time.

You would think that God who is supposed to be good would be in fact, good.

No, wait, I'm sorry. My mistake. God is just supposed to be all-powerful. God does not have to control his emotions because he's all-powerful. You, the un-powerful have to control yours. And you must worship God because God will hate you if you don't, even though it appears that he already does! You will be punished for eternity if you don't believe in him, or maybe even if you do. It doesn't matter. Just trust in Him and you will be at peace.

The saccharine smiles that Christians get when they've locked on to you and they think they've won you over to Jesus!

Where to start?

The self-righteousness it seems to lend to certain personalities.

The tendency of those same followers to confuse patriotism and "piety."

The insistence of any other spiritual path or religion to be "Satan worship" (this one I have gotten A LOT and it makes me want to slap the stupid out of people).

Misogynism, homophobia, xenophobia, book banning, and other diseases of ignorance, all born from the idea that the only guide to life one needs is a collection of Abrahamic texts.

Being told I cannot understand the bible because I am not reading it with spiritual eyes.

OMMFG YES! That shit makes me wanna choke a bitch. I suddenly can't read because I didn't drink their kool-aid, I mean, don't have an indwelling of the holy spirit?? The fuck I can't!

Where to start?

The self-righteousness it seems to lend to certain personalities.

The tendency of those same followers to confuse patriotism and "piety."

The insistence of any other spiritual path or religion to be "Satan worship" (this one I have gotten A LOT and it makes me want to slap the stupid out of people).

Misogynism, homophobia, xenophobia, book banning, and other diseases of ignorance, all born from the idea that the only guide to life one needs is a collection of Abrahamic texts.

You just described my step-mother. I would say minus the mysogynism, but she is such a hateful bitch that I'd say that she is an equal opportunity hater. I've received more patriotic god-spam from her than I care to count.

That has got to be the most frustrating thing that comes up when speaking with fundies. I find it hard to get across to them why they are wrong. I think that it does not matter what you say. They are taught that no god = no morals.

They also find it hard to distinguish between the meaning OF life and the meaning FOR life.

Yup, the morality issue is a biggie. These people don't even realize that a lot of their morals do NOT come from their holy book, it's just stuff they've reasoned/rationalized themselves. Such as "sanctity of life," as if all the child killing in the OT and the doctrine of "born in depravity" are even remotely compatible with "sanctity of life."

The homophobia.

I agree that the anti-gay stance is ridiculous. I would also point out, though, that I believe the term "homophobia" is the wrong word to use. Yeah, it's the standard term, but as one who was also indoctrinated against gays myself, I used to be prejudiced against them, but I never feared gays or homosexuality. It was NOT a phobia, it was just a belief that it was a sinful lifestyle.

Prejudice, yes; phobia, no.

What I dislike about Christianity is that it creates a wall against the ability to think anything outside of the religious framework. They just won't allow themselves to look beyond, because they feel they are sinning against their imaginary being by just thinking outside the box. They willfully allow their minds to be deceived and bound. Very sad. Very frustrating. And very destructive.