Goodbye Jesus

Nightmare Contact With "christians" In Texas

millie999

I had an unfortunate encounter with some verbally abusive "christians". It goes like this:

I lost a bunch of weight and have been maintaining it. Well, I gave into temptation and went into the candy/ice cream store early Sunday afternoon. I started to place my order and was distracted by these loud and obnoxious children that kept bumping into me and were screamig at eachother. I became too distracted to order and just stood there at the counter while the mom did nothing to simmer them down. Finally, I went ahead and started placing my order and the mom interupted me: "Do you have kids? What's your problem? You don't like kids? You need to go to church and god can heal you. I'll pray for you because you need it!"

This was just random from her and the clerk asked her to stop interrupting us. She said she would pray for him because he was sinning by working on the sabbath. She went on to name their church and told us that we need to come. The husband came in and witnessed his wife flipping out and asked what was going on (once agin interrupting me trying to place my order))and said that me and the clerk need god in our life.

At this point, I had said nothing to anyone in there except the clerk, and it became clear that I was not going to be able to place my order. I turneed to leave. The husband hollered the name of their church and that I needed to be there next Sunday or I was going to hell. I had enough and turned and said-- "No. I will not be there because I don't want to be around people like YOU!"

Can you believe this happened in 2010? This was so random and extreme. Thoughts?

Cripes, where was this?

Cripes, where was this?

I see you are from North Texas, too. This was somewhere in Plano, on one of those "P" streets, Park, Parker, Plano Pkwy, one of them.

I am still in disbelief!

I pity the children. Imagine having those two lemons for parents... :twitch:

I pity the children. Imagine having those two lemons for parents... :twitch:

I know-- I never was raised to interrupt people who were trying to place their order. No wonder the kids were out of control, huh? Who would act like that in a public place today?

This was just random from her and the clerk asked her to stop interrupting us. She said she would pray for him because he was sinning by working on the sabbath.

So what was she doing at the place then? Was she there to solicit her religion only, or was she there to order stuff (i.e. sinning too)?

I had enough and turned and said-- "No. I will not be there because I don't want to be around people like YOU!"

Awesome! Perfect response. :3:

Can you believe this happened in 2010? This was so random and extreme. Thoughts?

Actually, I can believe it.

This was just random from her and the clerk asked her to stop interrupting us. She said she would pray for him because he was sinning by working on the sabbath.

So what was she doing at the place then? Was she there to solicit her religion only, or was she there to order stuff (i.e. sinning too)?

I had enough and turned and said-- "No. I will not be there because I don't want to be around people like YOU!"

Awesome! Perfect response. :3:

Actually, I can believe it.

Thanks for the kudos for the "perfect response". That made my day to hear that!

They were there to order-- I'll bet it was the kids brunch.

I see you are from North Texas, too. This was somewhere in Plano, on one of those "P" streets, Park, Parker, Plano Pkwy, one of them.

I am still in disbelief!

Sounds about right, there tend to be a higher concentration of these types in the richer suburbs, Euless, Keller and so on. It is so surreal meeting these kind of people, in incidental conversations I almost always hold out believing that it they are attempting some kind of ironic parody of bigoted religious nuts, but they are nothing if not earnest. Gatherings of two or more are to be avoided like the plague. I'm lucky enough to live in Arlington, which has a bit more economic, ethic and cultural diversity to keep things balanced.

I was about to say that that is Doc's area....probably the church he secretly attends....lol :grin:

Yup, First Church of Public Irritation. We have a mission.

I was about to say that that is Doc's area....probably the church he secretly attends....lol :grin:

Lol Doc...I am afraid in W. Texas we have that same congregation. Pastor Bubba?

I'm the head of the association where I live. It's a small community of 14 units. It's pretty close knit and I know the names and careers of everybody in the complex, even the renters. Two weeks ago some christians were littering our property with pamphlets promoting a show, despite the rather large no-trespassing sign. I approached them and let them know they were on private property. No big deal, people do it all the time, but just leave. The leader immediately became confrontational and started accusing our homeowners of selling drugs. Now I'm home a LOT, and I have a 3-year old who likes to play outside, so I'm also outside a lot. I never see any unexpected traffic or cars I'm unfamiliar with. Everyone is stable middle-class working families. At that point I called him a liar and told him to GTFO. On his way out he says "Jesus died for your sins." In a state of shock, all I came up with was "And he died for yours too."

I wish I was surprised by the confrontation, but I was surprised that they would tell bold-faced lies. These people weren't even from our area.

Lol Doc...I am afraid in W. Texas we have that same congregation. Pastor Bubba?

He tells it like it is! We go everywhere really, and are accepting of all denominations.

Two weeks ago some christians were littering our property with pamphlets promoting a show, despite the rather large no-trespassing sign. I approached them and let them know they were on private property. No big deal, people do it all the time, but just leave. The leader immediately became confrontational and started accusing our homeowners of selling drugs.

Man, whatever happened to those mild-mannered like 19th century temperance and reform type Christians with their soup kitchens, schools and social events? Did they all go overseas or something? They were far more tolerable.

So they were supporting and enabling sinners to continue to sin. May Ceiling Cat have mercy on their rubber soles.

So they were supporting and enabling sinners to continue to sin. May Ceiling Cat have mercy on their rubber soles.

Yes- that contact definitely demonstrated to me that I am so right to stay away from christians. I will also never deviate from my diet again, to avoid this punishment.... LOL

What is wrong with these extreme christians today? They chase people away from the church. I say they should keep it up!

At least their behaviors are making more leave the faith and come over to the better side-- the non-believing side!!!!!!!!

I'm the head of the association where I live. It's a small community of 14 units. It's pretty close knit and I know the names and careers of everybody in the complex, even the renters. Two weeks ago some christians were littering our property with pamphlets promoting a show, despite the rather large no-trespassing sign. I approached them and let them know they were on private property. No big deal, people do it all the time, but just leave. The leader immediately became confrontational and started accusing our homeowners of selling drugs. Now I'm home a LOT, and I have a 3-year old who likes to play outside, so I'm also outside a lot. I never see any unexpected traffic or cars I'm unfamiliar with. Everyone is stable middle-class working families. At that point I called him a liar and told him to GTFO. On his way out he says "Jesus died for your sins." In a state of shock, all I came up with was "And he died for yours too."

I wish I was surprised by the confrontation, but I was surprised that they would tell bold-faced lies. These people weren't even from our area.

Clearly, your intervention should have shown them that you pay attention to who is on your property, and next time tell them they neither they nor drug dealers are welcome to be on the property uninvited.

Sounds like "Jesus died for your sins" is a curse of some sort...

:lmao:

If I was the clerk I would have kicked those people out for driving away customers like that.

Sounds like "Jesus died for your sins" is a curse of some sort...

Certainly sounds like it, well spotted.

On his way out he says "Jesus died for your sins." In a state of shock, all I came up with was "And he died for yours too."

I hate it when I can't come up with good comebacks in time. It would have been hilarious if you said something like, "Ya, I hear he took it up the ass too."

Best thing I could come up with off the top of my head.

Man, whatever happened to those mild-mannered like 19th century temperance and reform type Christians with their soup kitchens, schools and social events? Did they all go overseas or something? They were far more tolerable.

They morphed into polite Northern (as opposed to Southern) urban liberal Protestants, basically. The South and North branches of American Protestantism split in the 1850s: the former to defend slavery and the traditional order, the latter to address modern urban problems.

Since the early 1970s, Northern Protestantism has been on the wane, and Southern Protestantism (fundyism, basically) has become the most conspicuous face of American public religion.

They morphed into polite Northern (as opposed to Southern) urban liberal Protestants, basically. The South and North branches of American Protestantism split in the 1850s: the former to defend slavery and the traditional order, the latter to address modern urban problems.

Since the early 1970s, Northern Protestantism has been on the wane, and Southern Protestantism (fundyism, basically) has become the most conspicuous face of American public religion.

Yeah, if there was one great thing about the Reconstruction period it was the dominance of these Northern Reform types in the religious culture. I'll take a kook like Wendell Phillips over one like Pat Robertson any day.

Edit: Hey man, I love how you know all this stuff. Are you a history major? I'm working on mine at the moment.

Yeah, if there was one great thing about the Reconstruction period it was the dominance of these Northern Reform types in the religious culture. I'll take a kook like Wendell Phillips over one like Pat Robertson any day.

Edit: Hey man, I love how you know all this stuff. Are you a history major? I'm working on mine at the moment.

A book by Kevin Phillips called "American Theocracy" has a nice history of religious trends and also addresses the history of "energy" and "debt".

For a good brief overview of the History of Religion in America, I recommend this link.

Yikes! I'm in the DFW area, too, but fortunately I haven't had any run-ins like that! Don't let them scare you away from eating your ice cream. If you do, they'll have won!! :HaHa: