Goodbye Jesus

Nightmare Contact With "christians" In Texas

millie999

Guest Net Eng

Thanks for the kudos for the "perfect response". That made my day to hear that!

They were there to order-- I'll bet it was the kids brunch.

So they were supporting and enabling sinners to continue to sin. May Ceiling Cat have mercy on their rubber soles.

The moderator formally known as "Han Solo" is now a door to door converter of the unwashed masses for Ceiling Cat...

post-4038-12711123088_thumb.jpg

Sounds like "Jesus died for your sins" is a curse of some sort...

Snape hastily pulled out his wand and shouted "Abracajesus Sinisus," and everyone fell to their knees and praised Lord Voldemort.

The moderator formally known as "Han Solo" is now a door to door converter of the unwashed masses for Ceiling Cat...

Looke 18 "16. No wun turnz on teh lamp an den putz it in a bukkit, LOL. He putz teh lamp on teh nietstand so evribodi can c. 17. Evrithin dat is hiddun wil get fownded. 18 if u haz a lot, u wil getz moar. If u duz nawt haff much, u wil evun lose dat. LOL." (Lolcats Bible)

srsly. kthxbai.

(Love the picture btw. :HaHa:)

I had an unfortunate encounter with some verbally abusive "christians". It goes like this:

I lost a bunch of weight and have been maintaining it. Well, I gave into temptation and went into the candy/ice cream store early Sunday afternoon. I started to place my order and was distracted by these loud and obnoxious children that kept bumping into me and were screamig at eachother. I became too distracted to order and just stood there at the counter while the mom did nothing to simmer them down. Finally, I went ahead and started placing my order and the mom interupted me: "Do you have kids? What's your problem? You don't like kids? You need to go to church and god can heal you. I'll pray for you because you need it!"

This was just random from her and the clerk asked her to stop interrupting us. She said she would pray for him because he was sinning by working on the sabbath. She went on to name their church and told us that we need to come. The husband came in and witnessed his wife flipping out and asked what was going on (once agin interrupting me trying to place my order))and said that me and the clerk need god in our life.

At this point, I had said nothing to anyone in there except the clerk, and it became clear that I was not going to be able to place my order. I turneed to leave. The husband hollered the name of their church and that I needed to be there next Sunday or I was going to hell. I had enough and turned and said-- "No. I will not be there because I don't want to be around people like YOU!"

Can you believe this happened in 2010? This was so random and extreme. Thoughts?

I would have personally would have lost my "cool" by saying, "Excuse me, shut the fuck up," even though that is probably exactly what they want me to say.

She said she would pray for him because he was sinning by working on the sabbath.

What I'd like to know is why they are encouraging the clerk into sin by bringing him business on a Sunday.

Perhaps they should stone him instead, or maybe they're waiting until after he sells them the ice cream for that.

I had an unfortunate encounter with some verbally abusive "christians". It goes like this:

I lost a bunch of weight and have been maintaining it. Well, I gave into temptation and went into the candy/ice cream store early Sunday afternoon. I started to place my order and was distracted by these loud and obnoxious children that kept bumping into me and were screamig at eachother. I became too distracted to order and just stood there at the counter while the mom did nothing to simmer them down. Finally, I went ahead and started placing my order and the mom interupted me: "Do you have kids? What's your problem? You don't like kids? You need to go to church and god can heal you. I'll pray for you because you need it!"

This was just random from her and the clerk asked her to stop interrupting us. She said she would pray for him because he was sinning by working on the sabbath. She went on to name their church and told us that we need to come. The husband came in and witnessed his wife flipping out and asked what was going on (once agin interrupting me trying to place my order))and said that me and the clerk need god in our life.

At this point, I had said nothing to anyone in there except the clerk, and it became clear that I was not going to be able to place my order. I turneed to leave. The husband hollered the name of their church and that I needed to be there next Sunday or I was going to hell. I had enough and turned and said-- "No. I will not be there because I don't want to be around people like YOU!"

Can you believe this happened in 2010? This was so random and extreme. Thoughts?

I would have personally would have lost my "cool" by saying, "Excuse me, shut the fuck up," even though that is probably exactly what they want me to say.

I am surprised I didn't go off on them. I'm very easygoing, except when it comes to christians. How I would have loved to invite the woman outside to give her something from god, and beat the living shit out of her! Then I would have left the husband my copy of richard dawkin's "the god delusion", which was in my car at the time!!!

However, we can hope that by behavior like this, these extreme christians will soon be extinct!!!!!!!!!!

Wow! You handled that a lot better than I would have! That woman and her hubbie are batshit nuts. I have never come across behavior like that before, I don't know what I would have done. :eek:

That quote of Ghandi's comes to mind: "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." but I'm not so sure that I like the Christ, either...

I'm in Australia, and we don't have the 'fundyism' problems that the US has, but my town has a crazy old man who stands on a crate in public places, slapping his bible with his hand and proclaiming his version of christianity while you are privately going about your business. Often businesses try to move him on because he annoys the customers. He apparently becomes quite aggressive if you argue with him.

The local paper did a story on him (fuck knows why, he doesn't need the encouragement) and apparently he believes that years ago after he came home drinking to his wife and kids, she left him with the kids, and he fell into a hole in the earth that took him down to hell for a short tour. Obviously he had some sort of psychotic episode and now believes that he is gods chosen prophet and likes to bombard people with his preaching while they are privately going about their business. Some days he is unbearable. I am just glad that I don't see him often in town because I work two jobs (a full time job and a part time job) in the next town five kilometres away) and am not down the street when he's out and about. If I have to go down the street on a Saturday, he's normally there, bombarding people with his fire and brimstone message.

Apparently he's been kicked out of churches in town for being too argumentative. I have been told by people who have lived in this town longer than I have that he has quite a temper and will not take challenges to his preaching. On occasion apparently he becomes violent. I avoid him like the plague in case he starts picking people out of the crowd to address them. If there wasn't a risk that he would become violent and attack me (because you all know a woman shouldn't ever preach to a man, it isn't christian) I would challenge his statements, but I know he'd just name call and become hostile.

You just cannot argue with these kinds of people. It's all about ego. They are 'god's chosen people' and any challenge to them is apparently a challenge to god. So much for humility and meekness. I hope he does do something stupid (like attempt to assault someone who does weekend work as a bouncer and knows how to fend him off) so that he gets locked up. His favourite spot in town is just outside a major supermarket and department store, near the carpark, where he can assault the ears of people who are trying to shop for groceries. He even brings a stool or box to stand on so we can all see him. I don't need to see him or hear him. I have already heard the message of christianity and realised it was a load of misogynistic, supersititious garbage with impossible standards man is obligated to fail by his sheer humanity, judged by a deity whome, if it exists, is truly sadistic and cruel for setting unrealistic expectations, and then punishing those who fail with obliteration. No parent punishes to obliterate and destroy their child. They punish to correct a child so they live a better and more fullfilled life. How could anyone call that kind of being 'father'?

I am so fortunate to be able to hear his amazing message (insert facemelting sarcasm here).

Here's another really good book: "The Churching of America" by Stark and Finke. It tells the history of how the fundie sects surpassed the traditional oldline denomination, and starts in 1776 and goes all the way up until the 1990s when the book was written.

The Churching of America

Edit: Hey man, I love how you know all this stuff. Are you a history major? I'm working on mine at the moment.

I'm a social scientist. :HaHa:

I'm a social scientist. :HaHa:

Man, you must get a lot of love :P

This kind of retarded behavior is why I moved out of Alabama, and to New Orleans, where if you act too churchy and don't have an excuse (very old, mentally unstable, homeless whacko), you get mocked, and rightly so. The only time we get street screamers is during Mardi Gras or Southern Decadence (gay pride). Then we just have people around on LOTS of drugs making fun of the christards. As it should be! :-P

I once had a fundie come up to me while playing a gig. She had found out I was an atheist, perhaps from the one waiter who knew, and wanted to tell me "Jesus loves me". She was so drunk she could hardly stand (my gig was at a restaurant/pub), she squeezed onto the small band-stand knocking over a priceless guitar (collectors item, hard to come by in South Africa), and shouted out to me WHILE I WAS PLAYING (which is rude and very annoying) that Jesus loved me. I stopped playing, thus disturbing all the other patrons who were enjoying the music, and had to ask management to remove her from the stage, thus causing an unpleasant scene.

I was shocked ... she actually thought she was witnessing to me ... riiiight. I guess we get them all over the world, so Doc you have a world-wide congregation it seems.

This kind of retarded behavior is why I moved out of Alabama, and to New Orleans, where if you act too churchy and don't have an excuse (very old, mentally unstable, homeless whacko), you get mocked, and rightly so. The only time we get street screamers is during Mardi Gras or Southern Decadence (gay pride). Then we just have people around on LOTS of drugs making fun of the christards. As it should be! :-P

I might be heading to Nawlins this June. Last time I was there I had a fuckin' blast!

knocking over a priceless guitar (collectors item, hard to come by in South Africa),

Now that should be a "hanging" offense !!!

knocking over a priceless guitar (collectors item, hard to come by in South Africa),

Now that should be a "hanging" offense !!!

Quite right. Just when I thought it was a bad thing that she was a Believer she goes and kicks my guitar over. Luckily I caught it before it hit the ground (must be all those years playing provincial table-tennis, or just sheer adrenaline-induced lightning reflex) so no damage was done. If the guitar had been damaged there would have been a hanging - me ... for ripping her throat out and shoving it up her Bible-punching bum.

As a fellow muso bro Franko, you will definitely understand. You can stab me, insult me, murder me or even worse ... tell me about Jesus ... but DON'T TOUCH MY GUITAR!

Not surprised-I've lived in Texas all my life. Hell would be a step up from this place.

Quite right. Just when I thought it was a bad thing that she was a Believer she goes and kicks my guitar over. but DON'T TOUCH MY GUITAR!

Oh man, if I had a priceless item like that--or a custom job that I had labored over and spent a pretty penny on--I'd keep it in a stainless steel case wrapped up with a chain as thick as my forearm topped off with a Medico discus lock. I wouldn't leave it on a stand... hell, I wouldn't even take it to gigs! I mean, unless I had roadies and bodyguards and shit. :HaHa: A beater for dicking around at home, a dressed up partially customized beater for shows, and the fancy pants priceless piece for display or studio and occasional dicking around.

*whew* glad to have made it out of TX (deep east TX, near Tyler). Oregon is much more palatable

Quite right. Just when I thought it was a bad thing that she was a Believer she goes and kicks my guitar over. but DON'T TOUCH MY GUITAR!

Oh man, if I had a priceless item like that--or a custom job that I had labored over and spent a pretty penny on--I'd keep it in a stainless steel case wrapped up with a chain as thick as my forearm topped off with a Medico discus lock. I wouldn't leave it on a stand... hell, I wouldn't even take it to gigs! I mean, unless I had roadies and bodyguards and shit. :HaHa: A beater for dicking around at home, a dressed up partially customized beater for shows, and the fancy pants priceless piece for display or studio and occasional dicking around.

Me too. On that particular day I had had the brainwave to take her out for walkies. I was playing on my usual gig guitar (a Line 6 Variax) but wanted to give one of my collector-guitars a nice exciting outing to a gig (I think they get bored hanging around at home). I thought she would be safe because most people respect my space at gigs and very seldom come up onto the band-stand. It DEFINITELY did not occur to me that a drunk Fundie would want to witness to me by jumping up into my space and knocking over my precious while she was out exploring the gig-world. Oh well - we live and learn.

BTW my personal favourite guit is the one in my avatar - it's a Yamaha AE500 jazz guitar with a re-done neck - and she NEVER goes to gigs ... too many drunk Christians in SA (hehe).

"I'll pray for you to heal"

"I'll pray for you to learn how to discipline your brats"

"I'll pray for you to heal"

"I'll pray for you to learn how to discipline your brats"

Thanks. Praise the Lard.

I'm the head of the association where I live. It's a small community of 14 units. It's pretty close knit and I know the names and careers of everybody in the complex, even the renters. Two weeks ago some christians were littering our property with pamphlets promoting a show, despite the rather large no-trespassing sign. I approached them and let them know they were on private property. No big deal, people do it all the time, but just leave. The leader immediately became confrontational and started accusing our homeowners of selling drugs. Now I'm home a LOT, and I have a 3-year old who likes to play outside, so I'm also outside a lot. I never see any unexpected traffic or cars I'm unfamiliar with. Everyone is stable middle-class working families. At that point I called him a liar and told him to GTFO. On his way out he says "Jesus died for your sins." In a state of shock, all I came up with was "And he died for yours too."

I wish I was surprised by the confrontation, but I was surprised that they would tell bold-faced lies. These people weren't even from our area.

You should have reminded him that Jesus said to "obey the laws of the land", so that means to GTFO as they are trespassing and not "obeying the law of the land." If you said that I wonder how they would react to your request. :HaHa:

I think "some" churches are extremely motivated to be "out" nowadays. I grew up in Texas, in a pretty weird sect - Oneness Pentecostalism - and we believed we were the only ones in town "preaching the truth" ... but, outside of a few street meetings, we didn't go around harrassing people in town ... and it was a pretty rural town, too, of about probably 99.97% Christians of some sort (and .03% just being the local priest when he got drunk).

But ... Tea Parties, Fox News, etc. ... some of these mega-fundamentalist-"where's a camera" crowd ... they're politically motivated, fully armed with a martyrdom complex. Although their numbers are starting to decline, they're more "fired up" than ever before.

Last gasp of Christianity?

The Death throes ... complete with agonal breathing?

I think "some" churches are extremely motivated to be "out" nowadays. I grew up in Texas, in a pretty weird sect - Oneness Pentecostalism - and we believed we were the only ones in town "preaching the truth" ... but, outside of a few street meetings, we didn't go around harrassing people in town ... and it was a pretty rural town, too, of about probably 99.97% Christians of some sort (and .03% just being the local priest when he got drunk).

But ... Tea Parties, Fox News, etc. ... some of these mega-fundamentalist-"where's a camera" crowd ... they're politically motivated, fully armed with a martyrdom complex. Although their numbers are starting to decline, they're more "fired up" than ever before.

Last gasp of Christianity?

The Death throes ... complete with agonal breathing?

I agree with the bold. Usually, things get worse before they get better. In this case, christians being more extreme and on fire in an effort to prevent them from going extinct....

Wouldn't it be easier to pray to "god" to bring them more numbers? LOL

Oh, I forgot, god is not real. :)