Goodbye Jesus

Family Making A Big Deal

bird28

So I felt okay that I had at least one atheist family member besides myself, though I haven't even told him yet.

Anyway, that uncle last Sunday stepped foot inside a church! The whole family is going nuts, even though most of them don't go to church :shrug:

Anyway, I'm sad... is my atheist uncle going to reconvert?

He did say it was a very fundamentalist Baptist church and he ran out of there when they started washing each other's feet... maybe that scared him away, who knows. :HaHa:

• Super Moderator

Maybe you should let him know he's not alone if he is an atheist. In any event, it's too soon to worry about his reconversion. It was one visit, and he left early.

So I felt okay that I had at least one atheist family member besides myself, though I haven't even told him yet.

Tell your uncle. I was very happy when I found out that I had a nephew that was an atheist...and then I discovered I had two. They don't speak out about it. I'm the most outspoken of the bunch. I think they were as relieved as I was. We live far apart and so don't really talk much but I think it helped them knowing they weren't all alone. I know I didn't feel so isolated anymore.

mwc

I'd talk to him, and discuss your mutual lack of beliefs. It's very helpful to know you're not alone - maybe he's feeling too alone and is seeking to fill that hole the social part of leaving church gives us. Perhaps knowing he's not the only one will keep him from needing to head back!

Why wouldn't you tell him? I'd be thrilled to have an older relative who was an atheist too.

Do you live nearby? Maybe have lunch with him. He could be feeling lonely, and the lovebombs can make someone feel temporarily good.