Goodbye Jesus

Debunking Kent Hovind?

cogitoergosum

I was raised a fundamentalist YEC, and finally deconverted a few days ago. I was pretty much fed hours and hours of Kent Hovind lecture videos all through junior high and high school. I'm beginning to realize how many straw man arguments, ad hominum attacks, appeals to emotion, inapplicable satire, tautological reasoning, pseudoscience, data manipulation, and fact twisting he employs, however, after a lifetime of him its still a bit of a learning curve unlearning all his arguments. Is there a website, book, or person devoted specifically to debunking Kent Hovind and Answers in Genesis?

Well, the best way to debunk Hovind is to look at where he is right now. He's in prison for tax fraud. It would tell you a bit about his attitude towards honesty and duty. I admit that his criminal behavior in any way prove his judgment about evolution or science, but it does provide a good starting point for how honest he is in general.

If he has been lying to the tax authority for years (on purpose, not by mistake, he actually incited other people to do the same thing), you have to ask yourself if he's been telling you the truth... Only you can answer that.

I was raised a fundamentalist YEC, and finally deconverted a few days ago. I was pretty much fed hours and hours of Kent Hovind lecture videos all through junior high and high school. I'm beginning to realize how many straw man arguments, ad hominum attacks, appeals to emotion, inapplicable satire, tautological reasoning, pseudoscience, data manipulation, and fact twisting he employs, however, after a lifetime of him its still a bit of a learning curve unlearning all his arguments. Is there a website, book, or person devoted specifically to debunking Kent Hovind and Answers in Genesis?

I'm not aware of any material specifically debunking Hovind, but these creationists are all basically the same on what tactics they use, namely pseudoscience, straw man arguments, ad hominem attacks, arguments from authority, etc. that you correctly identified already. One website that seems to be universally cited in battling creationism is the Talk Origins website:

www.talkorigins.org

There is a wealth of information on there and they even have an extensive index of regular claims made by creationists.

I have also heard good things about "The Counter-Creationism Handbook" by Mark Isaak.

Is there a website, book, or person devoted specifically to debunking Kent Hovind and Answers in Genesis?

Analysis of Kent hoover, err, hovind

No answers in Genesis

Just two spontaneous suggestions out of many many possible options... :fdevil:

The link that Thruisaz linked that is Analysis of Kent Hovind is a good one for sure. That's one of the ones I found when I was looking for more information on the guy. I had the misfortune of having seen him at my church when I was a child, and my parents and church bought into his stories 100%. My parents almost pulled me out of my public school biology course because of the rants of this man since of course my school taught *gasp* evolution as fact.

I found one of the more interesting things is that another Young Earth Creationist group, Answers In Genesis, distances themselves from many of his arguments. When I was doing my reading on this subject, they had a portion of their site that had a list of arguments for creationism that should not be used since they are proven false. Almost if not all of the arguments were ideas that Kent Hovind stands behind.

Talkorigins does have a page that deals specifically with Hovind's YE arguments.

I think the thing that is most telling is that he got more time in prison for encouraging his son to hide assets from investigators... while he was in jail. This man was not smart enough to realize that calls from prison are recorded. How stupid do you have to be to not understand that?

• Super Moderator

Google "debunk hovind".

Um, everything Hovind said/says is wrong. By all means, check out what everyone else recommended, you will learn a lot of very good information. But if you are worried about something because he said it, just remember that he is always wrong.

Um, everything Hovind said/says is wrong.

Now, now, that's not true! I've listened through all its audio "seminars" for comedy value, multiple times, and there's quite a few times in there when hoover speaks the truth.

Everytime it says "I don't know" in any context :fdevil:

Guest Valk0010

the infidel guy has a youtube account with a hovind debate which you could watch

infidels.org has articles, which for the life of me I forget where debunking the likes of dembski and hovind.