Goodbye Jesus

Truth, happiness and our reactions

BlueGiant

I noticed something here, something that just never hit me before. I noted our joy at deconversion, not just a supportive shoulder and set of ears, and perhaps a bit of advice from having done this before ourselves, but more of the kind of thing that I've seen from Christian sites when someone converts there, almost a mirror. This is not just from a board deconversion, but also with respect to spouses, friends, etc. While it is seems to be a good thing that they are "seeing the light" or seeing the truth, seeing as we see, and generally it is, it also seems that we have our own dogma, and that we may be just as guilty at times.

This kind of brings me to the meat of this, I had heard a quote that the gap between truth and happiness is often a large one. If someone's illusion makes them happy, despite us knowing that their illusion isn't real, is it right for us to remove that illusion? I know both truth and happiness can coexist with the same person, but if they don't, which is the right thing to do?

As long as it wasn't hurting anyone, I'd favor happiness for the individual over a duty to spread truth at times. I am not sure, however, that this is the correct thing to do. Both appear to have their pros and cons. I figured that asking others here would be productive.

........... but more of the kind of thing that I've seen from Christian sites when someone converts there, almost a mirror.  This is not just from a board deconversion, but also with respect to spouses, friends, etc.  While it is seems to be a good thing that they are "seeing the light" or seeing the truth, seeing as we see, and generally it is, it also seems that we have our own dogma, and that we may be just as guilty at times. 

The important thing is to keep an open agenda. Christians do generally not have an open agenda, but use reason (or whatever) to defend the conclusions they already have reached by faith.

But there are a few exceptions, where Christians are good and honest people with an open agenda. It is my impression that such Christians are well liked here.