Goodbye Jesus

New York State Is Not A City!

Guest Babylonian Dream

Guest Babylonian Dream

Okay, it's becoming quite annoying that in almost every website I go and talk to people on, they assume that because I live in New York State, that I live in New York City. I almost live in a seperate state, we even have a different culture and way of life for crying out loud than downstate and the city has!!!!

Upstate New York is so far from the city, that's its not even funny!!!

I was asked by I liked my state so much, and if living in a city where you only have central park ever gets boring. Ummmm.....I live on the edge of the largest wilderness area that is a national park in the country, and besides that, I live out in the middle of nowhere, the nearest gas station is 5 miles away, the nearest town a bit farther away.

Yeah I put my city as albany, but even that is far away from New York City. Though it was on one of those sites where I actually put where I lived where it would be public, so the person had no excuse. I live in the boonies. You want to see a video of what looks similar to my backyard?

Lovely city right?

Okay, maybe I'm not really this angry, and I did exaggerate the rant a bit. But when people say my state is boring because there is no wilderness, they need to learn why I brag about upstate new york and its gigantic (it takes up most of the state) national park in which I live on the edge of. It looks no different from where I live.

Though the down side is, most accidents that occur here are either drunk drivers or deer related. (how many times does it take of extending hunting season before they stay in the park? they're overpopulated).

That's nothing. Try living in New Mexico.

Actual responses I've gotten online (mostly pulled from my email box from back when I was using dating sites):

"You don't know about US politics, you don't even live in here!"

"Oh wow, are you mexican?"

"When did you move to Mexico? Were you born there or did you have to get a passport or somehting?"

"Is English your second language?"

"Would it be long distance for me to call you? You know, since it's out of the country."

"Did you need a passport when you moved to Texas? How did that work?"

"What country is New Mexico in? Mexico or South America?" (that one REALLY made me cringe)

"I know my geography! New Mexico is part of Mexico not the US! Look at the names!" (oh yeah Mr. Oregon. You sure know where I live better than I do!)

"Your state bird is the roadrunner...I didn't know you could have a fictional character as a state bird!" (Oddly enough, I actually dated that guy)

"Do you eat burritos a lot? I bet you hate Taco Bell." (That one, while a stereotype, was actually a valid question. Living in NM means you eat Mexican food a lot more often than a lot of people. Burritos have been more common in my life than sandwiches. However, I actually do kinda like Taco Bell.)

My favorite: "I know where NM is...isn't it an island next to Mexico?"

And yet no one questioned Richardson's birth certificate :) Get a freaking map people!

BTW, I was born in Plattsburgh. Is that anywhere near you? At any rate, I'm definitely familiar with the NY you described. EDIT: Never mind, I looked at a map. Amazing how easy it is to google this stuff right? :)

Though the down side is, most accidents that occur here are either drunk drivers or deer related. (how many times does it take of extending hunting season before they stay in the park? they're overpopulated).

I say reintroduce the wolf, and if a wolf is found dead with a bullet wound, the owner of the bullet will be shot down via a helicopter.

I have to say that because I live in NZ and I've never done world geography I wouldn't have a clue where any of the States are, and I actually thought there were only 25 of them LOLOL.. but thankfully I know slightly better than that though, although I would've asked you where NM is as well.

I could post some pretty funny responses I've had when I've told people where I live... One guy asked me if we eat 'normal food'.. I was like.. what the fuck is "normal" food. We pretty much eat the same stuff as you except its more healthy. oh and alot of people think we don't have mcdonalds or burger king etc etc its kinda funny how many people in the US think we're like a third world country! but I don't know how that works lol

Guest Babylonian Dream
BTW, I was born in Plattsburgh. Is that anywhere near you? At any rate, I'm definitely familiar with the NY you described. EDIT: Never mind, I looked at a map. Amazing how easy it is to google this stuff right? :)

That's on the north side of the woods (adirondacks) from me. Yeah it's amazing indeed, the internet is just one of many blessings science has given us. I live near the Sacandaga lake. I feel at home in them mountains, I couldn't leave them if I tried, unless it were into another set of mountains just like them.

This is why I think Science is worthy of worship lol.

I say reintroduce the wolf, and if a wolf is found dead with a bullet wound, the owner of the bullet will be shot down via a helicopter.

As a place that never lost its coy dog populations (our word for coyote), we did reintroduce wolves. We also have bears. The only next step I can imagine is to introduce the mountain lion if they haven't already. We also have moose, the coy dogs just go after them.

You have to keep female dogs spayed though, or you may find that they're having some interesting looking pups with the local packs. Believe me, I know, my neighbor found that out the hard way.

They aren't the only wildlife that gets in the road though. I've seen huge snapping turtles. I'm told there are rattlesnakes if you go in deep enough. There are always dead animals along the roads, from ground hogs to everything else.

I have to say that because I live in NZ and I've never done world geography I wouldn't have a clue where any of the States are, and I actually thought there were only 25 of them LOLOL.. but thankfully I know slightly better than that though, although I would've asked you where NM is as well.

I could post some pretty funny responses I've had when I've told people where I live... One guy asked me if we eat 'normal food'.. I was like.. what the fuck is "normal" food. We pretty much eat the same stuff as you except its more healthy. oh and alot of people think we don't have mcdonalds or burger king etc etc its kinda funny how many people in the US think we're like a third world country! but I don't know how that works lol

Somehow, some americans get online, and still don't realize there is a whole new world out there. That not everyone eats, looks, walks, talks and acts just like them. It amazes me how naive they can be, even when differences stare them in the face. Much less the food, which is obviously different if he ever ate Japanese food or european foods.

Normal food lol. The american diet is mostly a mix of native american food with northern european foods just to let you know. We eat corn (in all different ways), potatoes, and all sorts of stuff. Though the food I eat is probably worlds away from the "normal food" he's talking about. My family still eats stuff you just won't find in the grocery store. Like real eggs that don't have chemicals in them and venison. And other meats and stuff and recipes.

Even american food varies from different parts (suprise suprise lol). It just has alot of commonalities. (which we call all american like hotdogs and hamburgers).

Ah, I'm going off on a tangent again lol.

but it's so annoying when people are truly ignorant about how big and varied the world is. Yeah our planet is small, but not that small!!!

You pretty much get a pass because you are not from the states.

I love upstate NY. One of my favorite places.

My entire family is from California, going back many generations. When my dad was in the Army they kept asking him what "Hollywood" was like. They weren't just teasing him about being from California, they actually assumed (out of sheer ignorance) he was actually from the actual Hollywood.

He was actually from a farm town 500 miles north of Hollywood and had never even been there in his life. People don't realize that California is a HUGE fucking state and there's a lot more to it than just L.A. and San Francisco.

Hell, I was born and raised in Los Angeles myself, but I was from what I like to call the "trailer park periphery." Me venturing down into Hollywood was about like somebody from the crummy end of Hoboken venturing into Greenwich Village.

I loved the book Into the Wild when I was growing up. I read it 2-3 times. NYC is nothing to sneeze at though and TBH, I grew up in Idaho, the Adirondacks got nothing on the Rockys.

Funny enough the Plattsburgh Ass of God Church ( and New Life Christian Academy School) is the Cult I grew up in. Small world... :close:

My entire family is from California, going back many generations. When my dad was in the Army they kept asking him what "Hollywood" was like. They weren't just teasing him about being from California, they actually assumed (out of sheer ignorance) he was actually from the actual Hollywood.

He was actually from a farm town 500 miles north of Hollywood and had never even been there in his life. People don't realize that California is a HUGE fucking state and there's a lot more to it than just L.A. and San Francisco.

Hell, I was born and raised in Los Angeles myself, but I was from what I like to call the "trailer park periphery." Me venturing down into Hollywood was about like somebody from the crummy end of Hoboken venturing into Greenwich Village.

I had a similar experience...

Many people are geographically challenged. When I lived in San Francisco I had relatives from Oklahoma who were going to stop by while on vacation and wanted to know if we could go to Hollywood for lunch. :loser:

Guest ephymeris

I can relate. Try telling people (especially in the last 5 years) you're from Louisiana. Even if I preface it north Louisiana, they without fail ask me if A) I'm from New Orleans or B) Did I move because of Katrina or some other Katrina related question. Louisiana does not = Katrina or New Orleans :vent:

Funny enough the Plattsburgh Ass of God Church ( and New Life Christian Academy School) is the Cult I grew up in. Small world... :close:

LOL wow! :twitch:

It's kind of amusing to read all the replies here and realize I have the exact opposite problem. I tell people I live in SLC and they immediately make the connection to "Oh, Mormonland!" Which, to be fair, we are the state capitol thereof and there are a lot of Mormons even here, but anyone who's actually lived in the city can tell you the cultural disparity between Salt Lake City and Utah proper is such they practically exist in different worlds.

I've been told that SLC functions as Utah's "sink", where everyone who could give a shit about being a good Mormon (or being a Mormon to begin with) gravitate towards.

Looks like someone tried to blow up Times Square this morning. That must have been scary for you.

Was it close to you?

Was you there?

I couldn't help myself :grin: