Goodbye Jesus

Ex-Christians Beware, Christ is coming to town

dario

First off I want to apologize for the cheesy topic title. I had to put something that would get a lot of peoples attention. The reason I am starting this post is to get opinions on something. You see, I'm debating whether or not to go to Seminary to study the bible, obviously. And well, I've been out of school for 3 years because I got suspended my freshman year, so I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed. The reason I want to go is because I want to learn more about the bible, both internally and externally. I want to read other books about Christianity and try and figure this whole "thing" out. I have a desire to want to learn more about my faith and what I believe in. So my question is to the people on this site that have been to Seminary or some school like that. Could you tell me about it? I know thats a very broad question, but I want to know what I would be getting into. Now, I'm not looking for responses that will dispute my beliefs. Just opinions on Seminary and the learning process. If any of you could help me out with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Brian Dario

P.S. Anyone a Creed fan in here? Just wondering.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fweethawt

• Reach

• Lunar Shadow

• dario

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude!!!! I was just about to beat you with a clue-by-four when I saw that title!!! :HaHa:

I must warn you, that many here are Atheist for the very reason of studying the Bible. I'm not one of them though...

Now, I don't see how one would need to take a seminary class to study the Bible. But I would be highly critical about it if the class is all about telling you how to interpret the Bible. The moment you ask someone how to interpret the Bible, it isn't really your interpretation. Especially since I have a gut feeling that Seminary is going to present a lopsided view of the Bible.

I am going to paraphrase GiantBear... You should be willing to learn from anybody, because if you are only willing to learn from those who agree with you, you really can't expect much.

What you might do is read the Bible yourself and make your own observations and interpretations, at least before anything else.

Of course, you can make use of all sorts of resources.

I must warn you, that many here are Atheist for the very reason of studying the Bible. I'm not one of them though...

Yup and I am one of them. The reason I became an Atheist is because I studied early church history and read the bible. thats about all I can say

:)

I want to read other books about Christianity and try and figure this whole "thing" out. 

What kind of books? Secular perspectives on Christianity? Apologistics? Secular history? Early church writings? I'll give you a list, just narrow down the field a touch.

SkepticsAnnotatedBible.com comes to mind.

First off I want to apologize for the cheesy topic title.  I had to put something that would get a lot of peoples attention.  The reason I am starting this post is to get opinions on something.  You see, I'm debating whether or not to go to Seminary to study the bible, obviously.  And well, I've been out of school for 3 years because I got suspended my freshman year, so I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.  The reason I want to go is because I want to learn more about the bible, both internally and externally.  I want to read other books about Christianity and try and figure this whole "thing" out.  I have a desire to want to learn more about my faith and what I believe in.  So my question is to the people on this site that have been to Seminary or some school like that.  Could you tell me about it?  I know thats a very broad question, but I want to know what I would be getting into.  Now, I'm not looking for responses that will dispute my beliefs.  Just opinions on Seminary and the learning process.  If any of you could help me out with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Brian Dario

P.S.  Anyone a Creed fan in here?  Just wondering.

Depends on what kind of Seminary you decide to go to... there are liberal ones and Bob Jones-style ones.

If you want to learn about your faith, I suggest you just... do it. You don't need to pay big bucks to be taught how to be a minister when all you want to really do is just gain some insight as to why you believe what you believe.

If you got suspended your freshman year, I don't think you could get into seminary... you have to have a bachelor's degree first. Maybe I just misunderstood you, and if so, I am sorry.

I suggest just taking Christianity and general religion and philosophy courses at your local community college. It's a lot cheaper and will give you the general idea of what to expect in *real* seminary.

Good luck in your search!

Dario,

Your desire to learn sets you apart from at least 90% of the population. I wouldn't go and self denegrate yourself. You seem sharper than you believe you are. Second, seminary might be where you wish to end up, but why not read a book or two on comparative religion or get a couple of suggestions from Clergicide as he offered first. You will have a more informed idea whether you wish to pursue it in more detail and make the bigger step. I would urge you to consider your options carefully here for a very practical reason. If you choose seminary and you later decide you don't wish to make a career as a preacher your options will be very limited. If you pursue these things on your own a bit first and at the same time make steps toward entering a university you will open up the door to a much better future for yourself (I'm assuming you are still young - but it's never too late to get an education).

Just my .02

And Creed rocks! "...don't have to settle no goddamn score..."

I forgot to add. You have had 3 years since your suspention to mature. It sounds as if you have. I barely escaped my freshman year myself. I took about 4 years off and then went back and graduated with a 3.5 average despite my poor freshman marks. Some people just need a few years in the real world to really appreciate an education. Good luck.

Hey,

If you really want to study about your faith there are tons of stuff on the internet. Atleast on the internet there are things from all sides.

As other people have warned, most people lose their faith as soon as they study the bible inside out

Pritish

Edit: Goofball roomie forgot to sign me off. He's a goober. His response is below.

Snoggins!!

Now, I'm not looking for responses that will dispute my beliefs.  Just opinions on Seminary and the learning process.  If any of you could help me out with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Brian Dario

Now if you are wanting to explore the learning process I would whole heartedly urge you to use other methods than the seminary to learn more about the bible. True learning isn't learning about one side only. That's all you're going to get in seminary, is a close-minded, narrow minded view of a distinct sects view of the Bible.

Real learning, real education is about learning every angle, every fact & fiction, and then discerning what the truth really is. There are much better methods to explore other than seminary.

About the thread title.... ----> :begood:

About seminary school.... -----> save your money. you can do just as well, if not better, on your own.

Yeah, I like Creed. If it weren't for Mark Tremonti, I doubt that I ever would have had an interest in learning to play the guitar.

Since Creed has gone to the pits, go pick up Alter Bridge's debut album titled, One Day Remains. Alter Bridge is the original Creed (including Brian Marshall) minus Scott Stapp. Plus their music is much better than what they did as Creed. :58:

Just opinions on Seminary and the learning process.  If any of you could help me out with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Hmmm. I didn't go to "Seminary" but to a Bible School. Is that the same thing? I'm not sure. Anyway, it was a long time ago, and at that time I thought it was the right thing to do, and it didn't make me question the Bible or my faith. Today the only advantage I see of it, is that I can claim "Hey, I went to Bible school" in the discussions. :grin:

Probably each seminary is different, and depending on the teaching you could end up becoming more critical and inquisitive about your faith. Which in my opinion is good for you! ;)

Didn't ever go to a semanary, but I noticed something when discussing various philosophical things with those who were there: that they didn't have anywhere near all the answers about their system. At least the honest ones will admit that.

About seminary school.... -----> save your money. You can do just as well, if not better, on your own.

Yeah, I like Creed. If it weren't for Mark Tremonti, I doubt that I ever would have had an interest in learning to play the guitar.

Since Creed has gone to the pits, go pick up Alter Bridge's debut album titled, One Day Remains. Alter Bridge is the original Creed (including Brian Marshall) minus Scott Stapp. Plus their music is much better than what they did as Creed.  :58:  

Brian, I want to echo what Fwee posted. Save your money. Why go into debt to discover what you can learn without financial burden? Do you have a tree which grows money? I went to Bible College and college. I've learned a lot more since then. I am a voracious reader.

I've said this before but it bears repeating. Where faith once enabled me, erudition has disabled me.

Thanks to Fwee for the update on Creed. I liked them.

You see, I'm debating whether or not to go to Seminary to study the bible, obviously.  And well, I've been out of school for 3 years because I got suspended my freshman year, so I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed.  The reason I want to go is because I want to learn more about the bible, both internally and externally.  I want to read other books about Christianity and try and figure this whole "thing" out.  I have a desire to want to learn more about my faith and what I believe in.  So my question is to the people on this site that have been to Seminary or some school like that.  Could you tell me about it?  I know thats a very broad question, but I want to know what I would be getting into.  Now, I'm not looking for responses that will dispute my beliefs.  Just opinions on Seminary and the learning process.  If any of you could help me out with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Brian Dario

Did not make it as far as Seminary, but know many people who have been through. Most people who go through are not very skeptical and are preparing for a career in the ministry. Those who are 'True Believers™' will come out all fired up. Those who can't accept things at face value and probe deeper will run into major issues w/ their faith.

Speaking of, what exactly IS your particular faith? Baptist? Catholic? That would help us give you some guidance, specifically things you might want to read before signing up for one of those student loans you pay off for 20 years.

You better not shout, you better not cry... *Ducks*

I can't believe you're the first one to throw that out there LOL

I can't believe you're the first one to throw that out there LOL

He may be braver than some or maybe more foolish than some. ;)

You did notice Nihil ducked out immediately after his lame comment. :grin:

Thanks to all of you who gave their insight into Seminary. I really saw a lot of interesting ideas. Just to clear something up though, I am studying the bible in-depth right now. I haven't read the OT so I'm going through that now. I am also comparing the Gospel accounts with each other. And I'll be honest, reading some of the things in the OT are pretty hard to swallow. I'm only in Duetoronomy(sp?), but some things I read got me thinking about why God would do some things. But understand, that from my perspective, I have no idea what God is thinking when such things happen, so I'm not going to question his motives. I have a finite mind, so I will in no way, understand God. Anyway, I'm going off on a tangent. The reason for all of this thinking, with Seminary and all, is for 2 reasons. First, I have a desire to learn more about the bible and second I've been reading The Case for Christ. In Lee Strobels interviews, he gives all of these credentials for his interviewers and most of them went to Seminary. They all seem to have this knowledge of the bible from studying it in its original language and all of that mumbojumbo. Thats what I want. To see the bible in its original language and learn Greek and Hebrew and Latin and whatever else. So that is where I am at.

To respond to someones question about what denomination I am a part of, I would have to say that I consider myself non-denominational. I grew up in the EMC church ( Evangelical Mennonite Christians) which later dropped the Mennonite part and became Fellowship of Evangelical Christians. However, I left the church because of problems going on, and started going to a non-denominational church. I'm not one of those Christians that believe that there is only one kind of baptism because my church says so. Everything that I believe in, when it comes to that stuff, are from my own studies of the bible. I hope that helps a little bit.

Fwee, this response is to you since I think it was you that made the response about Creed. I have been a Creed fan for quite some time and I would put myself up against any Creed fan anyday to see who is the bigger fan. I listened to Creed religiously. (Is that like putting other gods before God? Oops) And about the Alter Bridge Cd, I bought it when it first debuted. Then my wife bought me concert tickets where we waited in line for 4 hours to see them in Cleveland. And then something amazing happened, almost better than the return of Jesus will be. The band stepped off of their tour bus and came over to talk with us. Let me tell you I pissed my pants cuz this was something I have always dreamed of. I SHOOK MARK TREMONTIS HAND!! Gives me chills just thinking about it. Anyway, thats just a little about me and my infatuation with Creed/Alter Bridge.

Brian Dario

only in Duetoronomy(sp?), but some things I read got me thinking about why God would do some things. But understand, that from my perspective, I have no idea what God is thinking when such things happen, so I'm not going to question his motives. I have a finite mind, so I will in no way, understand God

I don't want to get your thread off track, but this just struck me so I'll ask a quick question. Why would god record that which you were never meant to understand? Isn't the bible meant to be his communication to humanity? If it records something that can only be interpreted as "his ways are higher than our ways" isn't this the antithesis of communication?

Ok, back to the main point of the thread.

I have no idea what God is thinking when such things happen, so I'm not going to question his motives.

Well, your not going to get very far in your understanding and you've finished before you've begun. But at least you'll be safe.

Doesn't it strike you the least bit odd that the gospels are not written in Hebrew?  Also, you should know that there are NO original documents, not a one. 

Dario, are you aware of how many seminary's there are?  Pick a belief, pick a denomination and that seminary school will have a slant to suit them with all kinds of "proofs".  Read the OT, pay particularly close attention to the law and the words FOREVER get yourself a red-letter bible and a PURE JEWISH BIBLE and some kind of concordance.  That is all you need.  The best way to learn the bible is to just read it, it is surpisingly very self-explanatory. 

You aren't questioning god by the way, your questioning what the writer's of the bible say that god is. 

I hope the best for you Dario, I really do.  But the truth is, any religious denomination will give you their slant.  Why do you think there are hundreds of various denominations claiming to have the truth?  If there was really the spirit as described in the bible, then why all the disagreements?

Thank you Serenity for the idea of studying the bible. I never thought of using a Jewish bible to study the OT. I will most likely go to the library to get the things I need.

About your last paragraph, I realize there are many denominations preaching different doctrines. Why, you ask, is there such a disagreement if there really was the spirit described in the bible? That I have no honest answer to. I have no idea why that has happened or why it is happening. I could give you my opinion, but that alone holds no water. So in answer to your question, I don't know. But, once again, thank you for the info.

Brian Dario

"All I want is whats real, something I touch and can feel."

Studying the bible was a fast track to my shit-canning the Christian faith.

Studying the bible was a fast track to my shit-canning the Christian faith.

Precisely!

If you want to remain a Christian, Brian, don't study your Bible.

Read it in your spare time, if you must, but don't ever truly study it. Avoid the Old Testament at all costs. Reading that alone will cost you your faith... if and to the degree that you take it seriously. Of course, if you don't take it seriously, why bother?