Goodbye Jesus

Ex-Christians Beware, Christ is coming to town

dario

Do you all feel that Genesis is written by several authors?  Meaning that A didn't know what B had previously written.  Or that the writer was an idiot in general?  Or that it was just a small error?

They wrote it for reasons that made sense to them back then. Who would have foresaw the development of the Internet thousands of years later.

Who could ever make comparisons like we have in the last few years, prior to the net and google? I never did or could or even thought to.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fweethawt

• Reach

• Lunar Shadow

• dario

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yes you will. That's right. Yes, you will be converted.

:fdevil:   :pureevil:   :fdevil:

ahhh.......... :Doh: Fuck

:lmao:

I used to like Creed, but for some reason my liking has waned....

Hmmm.... Ah well, might as well finish it.

You better not shout

you better not cry

You better not pout

I'm telling you why

Jesus Christ is coming...

ALL OVER YA!

Thanks to all of you who gave their insight into Seminary.  I really saw a lot of interesting ideas.  Just to clear something up though, I am studying the bible in-depth right now.  I haven't read the OT so I'm going through that now.  I am also comparing the Gospel accounts with each other.  And I'll be honest, reading some of the things in the OT are pretty hard to swallow.  I'm only in Duetoronomy(sp?), but some things I read got me thinking about why God would do some things.  But understand, that from my perspective, I have no idea what God is thinking when such things happen, so I'm not going to question his motives.  I have a finite mind, so I will in no way, understand God.  Anyway, I'm going off on a tangent.  The reason for all of this thinking, with Seminary and all, is for 2 reasons.  First, I have a desire to learn more about the bible and second I've been reading The Case for Christ.  In Lee Strobels interviews, he gives all of these credentials for his interviewers and most of them went to Seminary.  They all seem to have this knowledge of the bible from studying it in its original language and all of that mumbojumbo.  Thats what I want.  To see the bible in its original language and learn Greek and Hebrew and Latin and whatever else.  So that is where I am at.

Hello Dario! Welcome to these forums! :grin:

I AM a follower of Jesus Christ, who went to seminary for years. I was lucky that I got to study under a teacher that first got rid of pretty much ALL my prior beliefs... and to study the Bible with a critical mind, cross-referencing, using lexicons, and to let it reveal personal revelations to me. Everything I learned was challenged every step of the way, till I had a faith based on passing tests and reason. IMHO.

My suggestion to you, FWIW, is to forget seminary, as most of them have an agenda for you instead of you discovering what genuinely rings true to your spirit or allows you to have different beliefs than what they purpose. You would do great to stay on this site, bring your discoveries here... research the veracity of contradictions you will receive here, perhaps also including insights from other Christians you sense are validated on a firm foundation... be willing to refine/change your beliefs... and I think you will come out stronger than attending ANY seminary. I'm sure ALL of us are willing to give you our personal insights, even if you want to PM us.

I think you can learn more from a diversity of perspectives instead of a narrow view. I am a Christ follower, yet I learn a lot more here than I have in most churches. This is not to say that I don't think you should consider a Christian's point of view too, but what harm could come of challenging both sides, especially in regards to their agendas, to find what sticks? Why not make your OWN path for your beliefs? IMHO, I think, in this way, you will find Christ in a very real and personal way. :shrug:

I AM a follower of Jesus Christ, who went to seminary for years. I was lucky that I got to study under a teacher that first got rid of pretty much ALL my prior beliefs... and to study the Bible with a critical mind, cross-referencing, using lexicons, and to let it reveal personal revelations to me. Everything I learned was challenged every step of the way, till I had a faith based on passing tests and reason. IMHO.

Funny, all this says to me is that you had an open mind about letting Christianity inform you about how Christianity should be justified in order to work within your own mindset. Either way it's still not going outside the faith for real information.

The lengths people will go to in the quest of self delusion is remarkable. If the faith don't fit to what you want to belive, change it. Thus, the birth of yet another sect.

Well, I don't exactly have an "infatuation" with Creed, but I do admire Mark Tremonti for his skill and how much he has grown as a guitar player within his relatively short career.

Dude! That gave me chills just reading it.  :HaHa:

Also, I'd like to let everyone here know that I will be graciously accepting donations from anyone here that would like to see me be able to afford to go and buy (at least 3) tickets to the 3 Doors Down/Shinedown/Alter Bridge concert that is coming to Youngstown, OH.

The tickets go on sale tomorrow, so please, look deep into your heart and give as much as the Lord tells you.  :HaHa:

:lmao:

j/k

fwee, you gotta be kidding me!! I didn't know Alter Bridge was going to be in Youngstown!! I live in Cleveland so that wouldn't be a far drive for me. I'll have to look on their website to get specifics. Thanks for bringing that up.

Brian Dario

Funny, all this says to me is that you had an open mind about letting Christianity inform you about how Christianity should be justified in order to work within your own mindset. Either way it's still not going outside the faith for real information.

Hi Eponymic!

True, I was NOT prompted to seek outside these confines of the Bible for securing my faith. I wished THAT would of been included in my training also, and that is one reason I encouraged Dario to remain on this site too. ExC gives other views to consider, besides his Christian studies, in order to enhance critical thinking. There are still many questions I had after researching the original manuscript from which the KJV was taken. This site has given me more insight into those unanswered questions I have had. :thanks:

Studying the Bible as I have done, is to let these principles stand for themselves. Do they make sense? How do they make sense? What do they do to my internal experiences? Can they be cross-referenced and still not contradict each other? In order for me to do this, I had to let go of some prior beliefs... yet only by searching the Bible to check their actual veracity or had I just acquired them through traditions and/or presuppositions? Many beliefs I let go, was a very liberating experience!

If I establish a mindset based on any book, and those beliefs make me a better person, evidence of it helping many people in my path, and these principles stand on their own merit through the test of time.... then outside resources just help me refine these beliefs or help me understand them more. Some ideas, to which I had been leaning, were dispelled from info I got on this site. If something supercedes the teachings I have attained, I will gladly impose those in my life instead. We're all seeking the same end result, peace and happiness for ourself and others... aren't we? Maybe all roads eventually lead to 'Rome'? :shrug:

fwee, you gotta be kidding me!! I didn't know Alter Bridge was going to be in Youngstown!!  I live in Cleveland so that wouldn't be a far drive for me.  I'll have to look on their website to get specifics.  Thanks for bringing that up.

Brian Dario

Yep! Click here -----> Yeah, right here.

Then scroll down to October 29.

They're in Toledo before that, but that's a bit of a drive.

Precisely! That's what I meant when I said, Where faith once enabled me, erudition has disabled me.

Erudition

Deep, extensive learning.

Reach,

That is a great word! What do you mean that erudition "disabled" you? I feel that erudition enabled me to get beyond the comfortable myth of christianity.