Goodbye Jesus

Your Opinion On "spirituality."

Vomit Comet

Guest Valk0010

I don't have a particular hostility towards religion, unless they try to push it on people

Other then that, it just life, live to the best of your ability

I take an unfavorable view of just about all the above, let's face it some can be pretty pretentious about any of this spirituality business.

I love the adjectives section VC! I think you covered it all.

The only religions I really object to are the dogmatic ones where you are instructed to convert the world. I object to Christianity and Islam. I object to liberal Christianity because they are wishy washy. I guess "whitewashed and sugar coated" would be closest on your list. Some atheists are irritating (none presently posting on this site), but I have never personally had a problem with one in real life. So I waffled on that one but ended up not selecting it.

I suspect you're an asshole VC, but not for making this poll. I have other reasons for thinking so.

• Super Moderator

I generally take a dim view of any unsupported beliefs.

Asshole? Who isn't?

I have a very unfavorable view of "spiritual but not religious" as I have to deal with that BS constantly at home from my maternal unit. They can make up rules as they go and get progressively ridiculous and never realize it. Fucking annoying.

• Like 1

I also generally take issue with unsupported beliefs or claims. I take more of an issue with unsupported beliefs that are then pushed on to everybody else as the be-all and end-all of reality.

So I can tolerate a fluff bunny neopagan making unsubstantiated claims about the allegedly unbroken history of her religion more easily than I can a Bible-gnawing, foaming-at-the-mouth Dominionist Christian, because the pagan isn't going to try to make her spurious beliefs into the law of the land while the Dominionist probably is. Just for an example.

If you're an asshole, VC, it's not for making this poll. :cunn:

I used to be a conservative/evangelical/fundie type. I mellowed eventually into a more moderate Christian eventually, but still retained some conservative religious viewpoints.

I now consider myself pretty much a bitch.

Only one vote for asshole? C'mon! ;)

Spiritual but not religious. I think that they're worse than liberal Christians.

Most liberal Christians that I know are content to just leave me alone when it comes to beliefs - they might slip out a "god bless you" now and then, but basically they're not interested in proselytizing. While the spiritual but not religious crowd aren't usually evangelists for their spirituality, if you ever say that you don't believe in the spiritual, they become like a big warm gushy ball of snot. I'd almost rather hear "you're going to hell" than "you're just not spiritually sensitive". They're just as unaccepting of non-belief, but in a really pitying and condescending way. And they just love Delilah.

I, sir, hail from a fine tradition of assholes. I have asshole friends. Some of my favorite relatives were assholes. Some of you may be assholes and not realize it yet. Asshole traditions, asshole uniforms, asshole regulations, it's all part of the asshole heritage. So celebrate in asshole fashion.woohoo.gif

Oh, and I used "spiritual but not religious" when I was an atheist and didn't want to tell.

Guest Babylonian Dream

What am I?

Though you can apply a few labels that fit, I'm pretty much nonreligious, as I prefer to just not have an official stance. I lack belief. I'm also indifferent to the idea. Though if you believe that god is the universe, then I'm neither agnostic nor atheist to your god, I just dont view it as a god. So nonreligious fits best.

My negative views:

Unitarianism for being nonsensical.

And Other for Other. Other being Christianity, Islam, Judaism, and Zoroastrianism. All for being other, which is cruel, praising beings that aren't worthy of any good views let alone worship, for their pure evil.

Am I an asshole? In that my opinion towards them religions lacks any sensitivity, well maybe so. Otherwise, no. Though that's a result of years being a ultrafundamentalist Baptist, and having mental issues I had to deal with leaving the religion. I lost my sensitivity when I cried for god to no avail, when I was afraid my inability to believe would cause me to be God's roasted chicken dinner.

Guest Net Eng

I, sir, hail from a fine tradition of assholes. I have asshole friends. Some of my favorite relatives were assholes. Some of you may be assholes and not realize it yet. Asshole traditions, asshole uniforms, asshole regulations, it's all part of the asshole heritage. So celebrate in asshole fashion.woohoo.gif

Oh, and I used "spiritual but not religious" when I was an atheist and didn't want to tell.

The only appropriate reply. :grin:

Spiritual but not religious. I think that they're worse than liberal Christians.

Most liberal Christians that I know are content to just leave me alone when it comes to beliefs - they might slip out a "god bless you" now and then, but basically they're not interested in proselytizing. While the spiritual but not religious crowd aren't usually evangelists for their spirituality, if you ever say that you don't believe in the spiritual, they become like a big warm gushy ball of snot. I'd almost rather hear "you're going to hell" than "you're just not spiritually sensitive". They're just as unaccepting of non-belief, but in a really pitying and condescending way. And they just love Delilah.

I agree 100%

I consider anything dogmatic to be unworthy of respect.

This simple question can be applied to find out what I think of any given spiritual belief system:

"Do those who believe differently than you deserve some form of punishment or have some form of punishment coming to them?"

[ ] YES = idiot belief system created for idiots to believe in.

[ ] NO = fine as long as there is nothing else blatantly insane.

I would have liked a pantheist option but perhaps that falls under new age? I chose pagan because I am pagan in practice though in the belief in god spectrum I am an atheist/ pantheist. I don't mind the label of atheist but I think pantheist has a more accurate connotation.

I have not personally had much experience with other spiritualities and those I have had were all fine so I don't have a non favorable view on them. I know that my own religious practice is fantasy based and nerdy so I chose those. Each individual "spiritual" person would have to be judged on their own but as labels I don't have much comment on them.

I think you are probably an asshole but thats a good thing. I don't think I am a bitch though. I do greatly admire bitches but I don't have it in me it seems.

I am spiritual but not religious, come from a long line of assholes which is why I choose not to be one, my mother is the biggest bitch in creation which again is why I choose not to be one, but should you fuck with me remember I have been trained by an expert.

I find religion controlling and I have had efuckingnough of being controlled by dicks for whom my soul has no value. I hate human nature, maybe I should start a new religion of others that also do, but I suspect I am nowhere near enough of a cunt to exploit them appropriately :)

It's a fun poll!

The only real religions I have problems with are the ones that say"If you don't worship (Insert God here) it'll kick your ass/send you to hell/curse you, etc.

I'm also not fond of any that have any dogma that advocates treating people like shit, whether believer or unbeliever.

As for what I believe? Dunno really. I think there's something,but I'm not certain what. I've done a little reading on Paganism and Wicca, and dabbled a little bit with magick(leaning towards chaos) but as for what runs the universe, dunno.

Now,I'm gonna be a bit of an ass I guess, but V.C, dude! What kind of subtitle is "Are you an asshole?"

Sorry for being touchy..

I generally have an unfavorable view of any monotheistic judeo-christian religion. But hell, I'm even ok with some jews and christians. The followers I've met from pretty much every other religion has been pretty ok with me.

I mostly have a problem with absolutists and people who think they're better than others. I've seen that from atheists as well as christians, and it bugs me just as much, but I see it far less from atheists, so I don't mind as much. Met a pagan like that once, oh my god was she a crazy bitch. I couldn't stand her.

No one KNOWS what happens when we die, or every detail of how the world began, or every detail of the universe. I believe that theories are nice, but we should never live like we absolutely know. Focus on making the life you do have a good thing, for you and those around you. If there's a heaven and hell, a good god will know what's in your heart (a bad god...I think you'd be better off in hell). If there's reincarnation, we gotta bust our asses to make this world great, because we could be born next as anyone. If there's nothing, we better make this world great because it's all we have.

I notice that we seem to have the most disdain in this poll for "fantasy based" thinking and the "sugar-coated BS" category.

That's exactly how I see present day Christianity, in all it's forms.

For what I am, I picked Pagan, though if it were multiple choice, I would have gone with the Occult/Mystery religon option as well. I a lil half and half there. I like myths - as descriptors for the human experience, anyway.

I'm non-favorable towards the "other", meaning, mostly Abrahamics. The "Big Three" piss me off in one way or another. They steal from cultures with wider lenses, and get all ultimatum with it. Fuck em. I honestly don't see myself buying atheism, but I don't mind it as much - I don't like some atheists who call me stupid personally, but they're few and far between. So I left that one be. I basically don't like anyone who feels like they have to tell me what to think and do. So the dogmatic Abrahamics naturally piss me off the most. But anyone getting arrogant and pissy with me will get the bird from me. Because I am a bitch, when I gotta be.

I am an ATHEIST, there is absolutely no evidence for the supernatural at all. I am probably an anti-theist, as I strongly oppose the god concept, especially that of the three monotheistic religions, i.e. christianity, islam and judaism. I don't think I'm an asshole or a bitch, I'm a feminist, and because of my past I'm a borderline misandrist.

Everyone here knows that I'm very spiritual. I think that there is an all encompassing spirit of loving goodness that pervades the entire universe and that we, the entire human race, simply need to tap into that energy by driving massive spikes through our heads, at the same time, and connecting specially designed cables between each of our pierced skulls to act as a giant antenna so that might, as one, contact our loving creator being and invite it into our still writhing bodies.

The only way to know is to try. Until then I am absolutely correct and you must all respect my views as equal to, meaning better than, any of your own.

mwc

Guest Net Eng

Everyone here knows that I'm very spiritual. I think that there is an all encompassing spirit of loving goodness that pervades the entire universe and that we, the entire human race, simply need to tap into that energy by driving massive spikes through our heads, at the same time, and connecting specially designed cables between each of our pierced skulls to act as a giant antenna so that might, as one, contact our loving creator being and invite it into our still writhing bodies.

The only way to know is to try. Until then I am absolutely correct and you must all respect my views as equal to, meaning better than, any of your own.

mwc

...and here is a new recruit getting his first electrode:

post-4038-127241087013_thumb.jpeg