Goodbye Jesus

Anyone Remember These Christian Kid's Shows?

Objet_trouve24

You know, I still kind of like Veggietales. And Jungle Jam too actually.

They don't have to be horrible, and this isn't just for the purposes of making fun of them (although if they get posted, they probably will get made fun of. I know I'll be making fun of mine, except maybe Jungle Jam, AiO and Veggietales). This is more for evaluation and remembering. How did these shows shape your little child's brain? Do you ever feel nostalgic for them? Was it all bad or can you salvage some pleasant memories?

Some (not all, we had a ton of christian kids stuff growing up) of my shows:

Superbook-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxyttPnPttw

The Flying House-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIVRPE9zazM

Greatest Adventure Stories from the Bible-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1caDiuqXyho

McGee and Me-

Fire By Nite (for teens. We had a few videos during my teen years, they originally aired when I was little and at one point featured an early performance by a very young, very awkward group called the Newsboys)-

Surprisingly, I do in fact get nostalgic sometimes for this crap. When I do, I try to watch them and evaluate how they affected me growing up.

I'm too old for most of that crap. We had flannelgraphs at church and "The Children's Bible Hour" on the radio every Sunday morning. We had lots of Christian kids' books. I had "the Picture Bible," a comic strip bible which was more Richie Rich than Frank Miller (as it should have been, if it was going to be accurate). The rest of it was devotional books, bible memorization and AWANA clubs. And lots of sitting still in church while someone at the front droned on and on and on.

I had a ton of children's bible hour on cassette. I was actually too old for AWANA when we first found a church that offered it, but my siblings all did it.

Funny you mention comic bibles...I had this: http://www.amazon.com/Graphic-Bible-Mike-Maddox/dp/080541813X Little less Richie Rich, but every person in it looks batshit insane. Someone needs to re-learn how to draw eyes and teeth. Oh exploitable: http://www.churchtimes.co.uk/uploads/images/Son%20of%20God_P18%231%23.jpg

Did Goliath ever say anything besides "garsh, day-vee"?

You forgot Gospel Bill!

Superbook was the Shiznit back in the day! I would actually like to see an episode now, to see if it's as great as I remember (probably not, as all television looks awesome to a kid)

Lol, as for the creepy puppet shit, I remember watching something like that over and over. It was called Kids Like You. Here's the link if you want to walk down memory lane: http://www.golden-eagle-tv.com/shows/kids.html

And there was this video, it was a sing-along and it showed kids running around a playground and through fields singing songs like "It's me, it's me, it's me oh lord, standing in the need of prayer" I wish I remembered more about it!

Holy Crap (literally.) -- I totally forgot about Psalty! I thought that guy was awesome.

I had the good fortune to grow up overseas so we didn't get these shows on tv. I didn't care much for tv until I was a teenager anyway. My middle school in the states played vegitales on the school tvs before and after morning announcements which seems odd now. My younger brothers got Adventures in Odyssey from my grandmother. I got these terrible romance movies called Love Comes Softly but they are for young adults. My brothers didn't like Adventures either. I have a memory of a Jesus cartoon movie from way back but I don't remember which one. I just remember the animation was similar to Space Ghost and Jesus was blonde and blue eyed.

I see now that I was shaped very much by the movies I watched as a child, but they were movies like Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King and Hunchback of Notre Dame and Pocahontas. I had an animistic worldview as a child, believed everything was equally alive and had a soul and that we are all interconnected. So I am quite glad I was not subjected to Christian themed cartoons.

I did see a lot of Davey and Goliath growing up, but as a non-Christian kid - it seemed to be pretty harmless object lessons in being a 'good' kid. Feature Films For Families didn't always produce their own movies, sometimes they leased films that had been produced for PBS (sometimes re-edited them) that were great quality and not all 'religious.' And sometimes they could create a gem of their own, like Allan & Naomi - if you look past the budget limitations that's a very genuine, moving film.

Did Goliath ever say anything besides "garsh, day-vee"?

Well this sucks. I was going to post youtube poop of Davey and Goliath for you, where Goliath is racist, but it looks like the Lutherans got offended and got it pulled off of youtube. SUCK. :P

Here's this instead:

I did see a lot of Davey and Goliath growing up, but as a non-Christian kid - it seemed to be pretty harmless object lessons in being a 'good' kid. Feature Films For Families didn't always produce their own movies, sometimes they leased films that had been produced for PBS (sometimes re-edited them) that were great quality and not all 'religious.' And sometimes they could create a gem of their own, like Allan & Naomi - if you look past the budget limitations that's a very genuine, moving film.

I mostly listed that one because a lot of kids miss the outright christian stuff, but still used FFFF as a "safe" alternative. I know a bunch of kids like that (surprisingly, mostly catholics). The cartoons (like the one about the fox, and Willie the Sparrow) were so creepy!!

• Super Moderator
We had flannelgraphs at church

Ugh! I forgot those!

My childhood was too long ago to have included Christian kid shows. In those olden days, everything on TV would pass muster as Christian fare. Two people never seen in the same bed. Family values on parade. No gays to be seen. Kids saying nighttime prayers. No even slightly suggestive language.

I had shows like Roy Rogers (Roy and Dale were major Christians), Leave it to Beaver (okay, maybe a slightly suggestive title, but nobody knew it), Father Knows Best (Ah, Kitten!), Sky King (Penny was hot), Mickey Mouse Club (Annette had some hooters), ad nauseam.

Still, those squeaky clean shows were pretty good. I imagine specifically Christian kid shows must be creepy.

The cartoons (like the one about the fox, and Willie the Sparrow) were so creepy!!

Oh yeah, I see those in the thrift stores all the time - the pictures on the boxes looked evil enough that I've never never ventured to watch them.

I had a ton of children's bible hour on cassette. I was actually too old for AWANA when we first found a church that offered it, but my siblings all did it.

Funny you mention comic bibles...I had this: http://www.amazon.com/Graphic-Bible-Mike-Maddox/dp/080541813X Little less Richie Rich, but every person in it looks batshit insane. Someone needs to re-learn how to draw eyes and teeth. Oh exploitable: http://www.churchtimes.co.uk/uploads/images/Son%20of%20God_P18%231%23.jpg

This is the one I had. I still like the art, pretty well-done even if everyone looked a bit more European than they should have.

In most of the churches I attended it was a novelty to have a TV let alone a VCR and kids' videos. I still remember skipping out of some evening service with my friend to watch Star Trek: TNG on the rabbit-ears TV in the "fireside room" and draw anarchy symbols on the blackboard.

The cartoons (like the one about the fox, and Willie the Sparrow) were so creepy!!

Oh yeah, I see those in the thrift stores all the time - the pictures on the boxes looked evil enough that I've never never ventured to watch them.

I was dumb enough to get high to the fox one a while back. Holy shit it was creepy. I couldn't get through more than 10 minutes of it. Had to turn it off.

From the list I saw Greatest Adventure Stories from the Bible and Mgee and Me.

Damn, even as a kid I hated Mgee and Me. And now the stupid theme song is stuck in my head (thanks a lot <_< )

As for Greatest Adventure Stories from the Bible, my feelings kind of mellowed out after seeing these (its for xtian summer camps but I still lol'd):

And anyone have the misfortune of watching this particular piece of crap? Please tell me I'm not the only one who had to watch a few episodes of this:

:repuke:

I am also too old for these shows. I specifically remember this Christian drama program "This is the Life". A bit like a soap opera and had actual stories. I really liked that one as a child. I found out later that the Lutheran Church was responsible for it.

We had flannelgraphs at church...

Flannelgraphs! I'd all but forgotten about those! Old Wanita, the Sunday School teacher, would stick those things up and move them around on the board. What an action-packed adventure!

I always got the impression that Barney the Dinosaur was a rip off of Psalty

I don't recall any of those shows either but I do recall the flannel-graphs.

I saw Davy and Goliath - I watched them in the 60s and even then felt like they were old and dated.

The ones I remember, I remember from my daughter watching them. When she was about four years old (she's sixteen now), she absolutely loved the Donut Man. She also really liked Veggie Tales. I don't remember any of them from my childhood (all those eons ago).

I got slaved at the age of 15, so I missed out on being a "Christian kid."

What the hell is a flannel graph? :shrug:

What the hell is a flannel graph? :shrug:

They were kind of like thisbut less awesome.

More like this:

2009_Sunday_School_Andrea_at_the_flannel_graph_board.JPG