Goodbye Jesus

It is not enough to believe in Jesus

Eccles1:2

The Sheep and the Goats

31“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. 32All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left.

34“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.’

37“Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?’

40“The King will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.’

41“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. 42For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’

44“They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

45“He will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’

46“Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life.”

So Jesus says, it is not enough simply to believe and have faith, but you must feed and clothe the poor and needy. If you don't you are off to Hell, even if you claim Jesus as Lord. Doesn't this equate to having to earn your salvation? Protestants, please comment... :blink:

Don't expect doctrinal consistency, for every quote for one position, some other theist has two for their's, that's why there's so many denominations, not exactly a coherent message. This also allows for xtians to be anything from Dr King to a KKK Grand Dragon, it's a trade off, inconsistency means more followers and more denominations, Islam went the other way, making it apear more credible, but relying on conquest and birth rate to spread instead.

Note that it also implies that you don't have to believe in christ as well. The righteous are perplexed because they never knew they were serving Jesus when they served their fellow man.

Great story, god. Way to fuck with your followers.

I was taught (LCMS Lutheran) that good works will be considered as evidence of faith, not as justification for salvation. The good works flow from faith as a side effect of that faith. It's the grace, via faith, that does the saving.

I suspect that my old pastor would tell you that you are missing a vital component in your reading: good works without faith are of no worth to biblegod.

I think there's a quote in Revelation that says that people will be judged based on the works they do. I'd find it but I'm lazy right now. :Wendywhatever:

OK. Now I looked it up:

And I perceived the dead, the great and the small, standing before the throne. And the scrolls were opened. And another scroll was opened which is the scroll of life. And the dead were judged by that which is written in the scrolls in accord with their acts.

And the sea gives up the dead in it, and death and the unseen give up the dead in them. And they were condemned, each in accord with their acts.

And death and the unseen were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death-the lake of fire.

-"The Unveiling" [Revelation] 20:12-15 (CV)

What about James 2:24 -

You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone. (NASB)

Again, interpretation. If good works are a side effect of faith, then any faith that doesn't produce good works is clearly not good faith in the eyes of biblegod. Verse 26 sheds additional light: For just as the body without the spirit is dead, so also faith without works is dead.

<disclaimer>

Just playing devil's advocate. I can't argue this untenable position much longer.

</disclaimer>