Goodbye Jesus

Compassionate Conservitism Strikes Again

Yaoi Huntress Earth

I like reading the Top Ten Conservitive Idiots on the Democratic Underground (democraticunderground.com), but this entry was a real doozy.

#8: Glenn Beck

I swear to God I am not making this up. Conservative talk radio host Glenn Beck called survivors of Hurricane Katrina "scumbags." He also said that he "hates" the families of 9-11 victims. You know, I'm sitting here, trying to come up with something clever and witty to say about this guy. But as far as I'm concerned he isn't even worth the effort. Nothing that I do or say is going to make this guy sound any worse than he actually is. He's just a despicable human being. A despicable human being with a radio program on 160 radio stations, with an audience of approximately 3 million people. So, instead of wasting my time, I'm just going to post a few select quotes, courtesy of Media Matters for America. I give you, Glenn Beck, in his own words.

You know it took me about a year to start hating the 9-11 victims' families? Took me about a year. ...

And when I see a 9-11 victim family on television, or whatever, I'm just like, "Oh shut up!" I'm so sick of them because they're always complaining. ...

I didn't think I could hate victims faster than the 9-11 victims. ...

All we're hearing about, are the people in New Orleans. Those are the only ones we're seeing on television are the scumbags. ...

I would like to believe that this attitude is an aberration; that it is not typical of conservatives generally, or of conservative talk radio hosts in particular. But it's not. To the extent that he actually said it on the air, yes, Glenn Beck is the exception. But his knee-jerk attitude toward the victims in society is not an aberration at all. In fact, it's pretty much the emotional and intellectual foundation for the entire conservative agenda, which is all about helping the haves and screwing the have-nots.

You can find the audio and the full script of Glenn's rant at: http://mediamatters.org/items/200509090003 This asshole makes Oda from the novel and manga versions Battle Royale look like saint.

Ok I listened.

the 911 victims he hates number only about 10, he says. Not All 911 families, as the DU post implies. His point is that after this country did so much out of shock and love toward the 3000 or so families of victims, that some people are being ungracious and still complaining about this or that, or making it political. I'm not going to enter the fight between Beck and those 10 people, but just want to say, he was only angry at a very small minority of the 911 victim families. Glenn Beck doesn't have the market on hate you know. Democratic Underground has their share too.

About Katrina.

I think his point was that out of all the people that were affected by Katrina, we keep being shown the rioters and "scumbags", which are a minority of those affected by Katrina. He's not calling all Katrina victims scumbags, just the ones he sees rioting over ATM cards. I thoroughly dont think it's a race thing, but a BEHAVIOR thing he has a problem with. I think anyone who claims its a race thing is deliberately seeing it that way.

I haven't been watching much lately so I wasn't even aware of people rioting over ATM cards.

Ok I listened. 

the 911 victims he hates number only about 10,  he says. Not All 911 families, as the DU post implies. His point is that after this country did so much out of shock and love toward the 3000 or so families of victims, that some people are being ungracious and still complaining about this or that, or making it political.  I'm not going to enter the fight between Beck and those 10 people, but just want to say, he was only angry at a very small minority of the 911 victim families.  Glenn Beck doesn't have the market on hate you know. Democratic Underground has their share too.

About Katrina.

I think his point was that out of all the people that were affected by Katrina, we keep being shown the rioters and "scumbags", which are a minority of those affected by Katrina. He's not calling all Katrina victims scumbags, just the ones he sees rioting over ATM cards. I thoroughly dont think it's a race thing, but a BEHAVIOR thing he has a problem with. I think anyone who claims its a race thing is deliberately seeing it that way.

I haven't been watching much lately so I wasn't even aware of people rioting over ATM cards.

I dunno; I saw the same transcript elsewhere, and it appears he lumps them altogether. This is the thing I don't understand, though -- these right-winger people have no shortage of people waiting on the side-lines to defend them from anything they say, so that the problem isn't the person that says something outrageous, but the people that get upset about it.

Hypothetical situation

Outrageous radio host: "We need to line all the queers up and shoot 'em dead. We were waiting for AIDS to do the job, but apparently that didn't work."

Left-wing queer: "Oh my God, I can't believe he said that! Someone should yank his FCC license!"

right-wing apologist: "He didn't mean ALL queers, just the ones that wear chains at parades, and rape little boys! Didn't you get that at all? And by the way, the left-wing commies are saying things just as bad!"

I believe the modus operandus is to deflate anything any pompous right-wing extremist says (call it a joke, taken out of context, etc.), while accusing those who were offended of doing the same thing. Am I getting it wrong? I didn't get the rulebook, so I'm just assuming . . .

Why does Cindy Sheehan get a pass for calling for the end to the "occupation of New Orleans" while Beck is being called to the carpet?

Btw, I remember that imfamous thread on DU where people were cheering the deaths of U.S. soldiers in Iraq. Nope, haven't forgotten that.

Why does Cindy Sheehan get a pass for calling for the end to the "occupation of New Orleans" while Beck is being called to the carpet?

Btw, I remember that imfamous thread on DU where people were cheering the deaths of U.S. soldiers in Iraq.  Nope, haven't forgotten that.

I've only been reading Top Tens and some of the articles because the forums get me all riled up so I never came across that incidennt. That's just terrible. For the sake of my sanity, I decided against listening to the audio, but maybe I should've.

What annouys me about the scumbag comment is that a lot of refugees have also been shown as well as looters so it can be taken either way. Is it too much to ask for at least one decent, compassionate, humble speaker for either side? Even BartCop is getting egotistical at times.

Btw, I remember that imfamous thread on DU where people were cheering the deaths of U.S. soldiers in Iraq.  Nope, haven't forgotten that.

If I see independent data on the DU incident, I'll make a comment on it. As I explained when the Sheehan incident, I'm not gonna take a right-winger's word over what a lefty said -- because those "requests" are often loaded. For those that didn't follow the Sheehan thread, he's comparing one isolated sentence by Sheehan in a verrrry long and touching letter (about her visit to N.O.) to the nearly-racist multi-paragraph tyrade by the radio jock. Sheehan's a little pompous, Beck is a flame-stirring fascist.

Of course, these "calls" to clean up left-wing commentators are always amusing. They're often made by people too cautious to police the Limbaughs, the Coulters, the Becks on their own side of the aisle. It's as if we're some sort of inferior beings who must prove themselves "worthy" by going above and beyond their own personal standards of behavior toward their own.

I don't call for the right to police the right, or even criticize the right. I know it ain't gonna happen. It isn't part of their "offensive" strategy -- which is to always keep all conversations on the offensive -- which is disarming to many liberals who are often only too willing to apologize for anything to anyone who's blustering around.

I'll call it when I see it, but not because I'm an apologetic monkey on someone else's string.

Cindy Sheehan is a spokesperson of the Left and the anti-war crowd. She put herself there, her words can be scrutinized. Do you think for a moment that a conservative is allowed even a momentary gaffe?

Nightflight's got a point. I don't know who Beck is or anything about his politics or this incident beyond what I've read in this thread, so I'll stay out of that. However, anyone who defends Cindy Sheehan is either willfully or tragically ignorant.

Shortly after she started her vigil in the wake of her son's death she was given the opportunity to speak personally with the president, which she did; and she came away saying she was satisfied with his answers. Fast forward a month or two when she's approached by a few folks willing to endorse her cause and she picks up the banner and resumes her "crusade."

In hindsight, I'm glad I was unable to attend the protest organized when Bush visited Utah to speak at the VFW convention in SLC. Despite my agreement with the underlying theme of the event, I'd likely have gotten into arguments with those promoting Sheehan's agenda which would have ruined the whole thing for me.

DU is the cesspool of the lefties...

I've neve seen a more arrogantly brainless bunch than the better majority of the DU crowd.

Sheep.

Every damn one of them is a woolie waiting for some sharpie waiting to shear them of anything of value.

Not one of them publicly will stand up for self detrmination, self reliance, and self direction.

Just as herd animals they bleat and cower.

Used to read there, tried to participate, however much like the religious forums, my mind can only take so much shit pounded into it before it exploded.

As far as politiciians and spokesgeeks for either side of spectrum? Duff all of them, we keep electing these idiots, and keep listening to their radio shows, that in turn keeps the current wheels turning over us..

Feel free to turn the bullshit off and start the process over at any time..

kevinL

DU is the cesspool of the lefties...

As far as politiciians and spokesgeeks for either side of spectrum? Duff all of them, we keep electing these idiots, and keep listening to their radio shows, that in turn keeps the current wheels turning over us..

I love that shirt at the bottom of your post. I have a similar problem with Bartcop. The guy has a blind worship of the Clintons (I don't like how Hillary is sucking up to the republicans with her pro-censorship of video games, but Bill isn't too bad despite his character flaws) and he's getting rather egotistical these days. I still read the site for the pics and he does have some good points.